Steering column knocks when...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering column knocks when...

Steering column knocks when I come out of a turn, regardless of what speed. There isnt any problem going into the turn, its only when the steering unwinds. I am running all stock steering components on a stock 68 bronco. Anyone have an idea of what might be wrong, steering box, bearing, etc.?

I am 2 for 2 in the tech forum, thanks for everyones input so far.
    1968 Bronco Sport 289

Re: Steering column knocks when...

Get someone to turn the wheel back and forth and see what is loose.

Could be ball joints, tie rod ends, track bar, wheel bearings, pitman arm or the steering box.
    {o===o}
    Originally posted by TBS-POPS
    EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....
    Originally posted by CityHick
    I don't give probabilities in percentage format anymore

Comment

Alright, I will take a look to see what I notice. Thnx.
      1968 Bronco Sport 289

Comment

Also check the rag/tulip joint and the bearing at the end of the steering column.
        Marc D.
        If you drive with rage, drive a cage.

Comment

I'd say your column bearings need replacing, common on the upper esp..
          68 Slightly modified
          67 LUBR once again
          61 Willy Wagon

Comment

I had a couple of odd noises in my steering earlier this summer, and the causes were different than anything listed here.

1. Sounded like rocks rolling around behind my steering wheel after the Coyote Lake trip. Cause: one of the 3 nuts that holds the Grant steering wheel adapter backed out and was rolling around loose behind the wheel.

2. Steering "stuck" at various points in the rotation and made a knock sound after my Rubicon trip. Cause: The boot on my steering stabilizer was getting caught on the bracket that holds it on to the drag link.
            1970 Bronco
            My build thread

Comment

Working...
            X