what's a good clutch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what's a good clutch?

hey guys, I am looking for a good clutch for my 71 with 302 and np435. I am going to be dropping in a newer moter in my rig and want to put in a new clutch, anyone got any recomondations. My rig will see street time and some modurate trails with the family.
    Thanks, Mike

Re: what's a good clutch?

I had the best luck with the LUK brand that Wild Horses sells.
    Mark Harris
    71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

No problems with my Centerforce dual friction.

Comment

I have had both the LUK and the Centerforce Dual Friction both are excellent clutchs. I'd use either of them again.

Comment

i have always done well with centerforce

Comment

Originally posted by welndmn View Post
            I had the best luck with the LUK brand that Wild Horses sells.
            Same here, The LUK works great and it's just a bit cheaper than the dual friction. Either way you can't go wrong....
            1970 w/89 5.0, np 435/203/205, 456/locker/ARB, 4 wheel disc brakes w/hydroboost, 5.5" lift w/ext.radius arms, 3" bod lift, RS 9000's, tilt column, Hydro assist steering, 39.5" pitbull's on H1's. 4 link rear suspension. Hey brother, can you spare some change, I need parts....

Comment

LUK!! half the price of centerforce...
              KK6DAD
              70 Miles to the Rubicon!

Comment

Thanks guys I think I will look in to the LUK, I not looking to spend alot. Thanks again all, I appritiate it!
                Mike

Comment

I have a RAM Clutch in mine now and it has a pretty good grab and feel,
                  but I don't think you could go wrong with a LUK either...

Comment

As they said, just go with a LUK for a stockish motor and NP435. Great clutch.

Comment

I had a Centerforce in a Bronco II that I used to have, and the weights on the clutch fingers constantly made noise until the engine started spinning higher RPM's. Do all Centerforce clutches do that, or was mine just special?
                      SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

Originally posted by Efibroncoman View Post
                        I had a Centerforce in a Bronco II that I used to have, and the weights on the clutch fingers constantly made noise until the engine started spinning higher RPM's. Do all Centerforce clutches do that, or was mine just special?
                        Can't say as I've noticed them on mine. But now that you mention it I'll probably get all OCD trying to figure out which noise down there is from the clutch

I've had both Luk & Centerforce. Wouldn't have swapped for the latter except I needed a different clutch disc when I swapped in the NV4500 and the clutch was part of the deal. I can't tell the difference, but I don't drag race. Adding to the chorus, I say buy a Luk and save the difference for something else.
                        1970, Exploder 5.0 with P heads, EEC-IV EDIS, lots of wiring.

Originally posted by CityHick
                        I suddenly feel rich and feel the need to dump more cash into my Bronco.

Comment

I haven't heard any rattling from mine either. Maybe you got the special one.

Comment

I've seen it happen before.
                            When I use to be more into street racing, I saw one of the weights get tossed through a bell housing and put a dent in the floor board!
                            Mark Harris
                            71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

Sounds like you might want a scatter shield in high rpm apps. Ouch.........
                              1970 w/89 5.0, np 435/203/205, 456/locker/ARB, 4 wheel disc brakes w/hydroboost, 5.5" lift w/ext.radius arms, 3" bod lift, RS 9000's, tilt column, Hydro assist steering, 39.5" pitbull's on H1's. 4 link rear suspension. Hey brother, can you spare some change, I need parts....

Comment

Working...
                              X