EFI Fuel System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EFI Fuel System

I have this tank and a return style fuel rail where the lines come in on the driver's side front of the engine.

http://www.tomsbroncoparts.com/popup.php?id=2041

I've read others say get the fuel rail where the lines enter at the rear of the motor. Why is this better? I

'm thinking external pump and filter. Need to do this right but cheap as dollars are shrinking fast. I do not have a double flaring tool. But I'm not fearful of fabbing the lines, mounts etc. Is the accumulator set up really useful? My thinking is it's overkill and not necessary. Yeah it can shorten the total amount of pressure line but you spend more on that accum. system then on the pressure line. Walk me through your system tank to engine and back to tank.

Marlon
    Last edited by NOTPRETTY; 11-05-2010, 11:24 AM.
    Don't worry about it...its mostly glass...will be fine...

I went to the woods to live deliberately...

Carpe' Dium

Re: EFI Fuel System

I like the single HP pump at the rear on the frame rail, heard of more issues with the acc setup than the single. I carry a spare, better than carrying 2 spares. I like the inlets at the rear like the explorer because you dont have to route them around on the front of the motor, the lines already at the rear make a nice straight shot to the tank. I am running my efi lines right now actually.

Thats how I rub...I mean roll!

Comment

My explorer fuel rail is in the front... 1998. Maybe I'm putting it on wrong. Don't think so

Carpe' Dium

Comment

This is the 3rd explorer motor I am doing, all 3 that had returns entered and exited at the rear. Should only go on one way. The Mustang rails will work on the explorer manifolds as well, I think all the 5.0 rails are interchangable.

Thats how I rub...I mean roll!

Comment

I just have the single internal pump in the fuel tank on mine. Never had an issue with it. As for the inlets on the motor I have just the mustang 5.0 which has them up front on the passenger side. I ran the fuel lines down the driverside frame rail up ontop the inner fenderwell and used rubber lines from there to the fuel rails on the motor.

Comment

Huh... I'll try it the other way.

Carpe' Dium

Comment

Originally posted by NOTPRETTY View Post
              I have this tank and a return style fuel rail where the lines come in on the driver's side front of the engine.

http://www.tomsbroncoparts.com/popup.php?id=2041

I've read others say get the fuel rail where the lines enter at the rear of the motor. Why is this better? I

'm thinking external pump and filter. Need to do this right but cheap as dollars are shrinking fast. I do not have a double flaring tool. But I'm not fearful of fabbing the lines, mounts etc. Is the accumulator set up really useful? My thinking is it's overkill and not necessary. Yeah it can shorten the total amount of pressure line but you spend more on that accum. system then on the pressure line. Walk me through your system tank to engine and back to tank.

Marlon
              I have that tank. I also still have the aux tank, but I assume you don't. Ignoring the extra plumbing for the aux tank, I have a cheap filter, then a low pressure (Carter P4594) frame mounted pump, then a home made accumulator (from a piece of 3.5" exhaust tube, some flat sheet metal and some piece of steel tubing), then a high pressure pump, then an EFI fuel filter as found on the 5.0 Mustangs, then fuel rail. Then out of fuel rail, back to accumulator, then back to the tank. I used one of the vent tubes on the tank for fuel return.

Comments:

I have the cheap filter mentioned above because I got crap in my tank once. Discovered when my low pressure pump clogged (fortunately I discovered it had a screen in it).

I'm not sure if I even need the low pressure pump; it's been on there since I went to EFI, 8 years ago now. Before that I had some experiences with friends that had EFI, where their frame pumps would lose prime when the fuel tanks got low. Others had no problems. I hate problems like that so I added the cheap (they aren't so cheap anymore) Carter pump. To save money you can try skipping it.

I added the accumulator a year ago as an experiment. I was having some fuel problems that later turned out to be something else. I made it from materials I had lying around, so no cost to me. Adding it changed one thing: suddenly the Carter pump got much quieter. Since I like quiet, I'll leave it on there. Really can't say if it's valuable other than that.

Oh yeah, most of the system is just rubber hose, hose clamps, barb fittings, whatever. No AN fittings, though I did use some of the Ford duckbill style quick connect fittings. I have a Mustang 5.0 fuel rail. Inlet/outlet on front passenger side. I bought some st. steel tubing (3/8" supply, 5/16" return) and hand-bent it to make lines that run along the backside of the front crossmember and around to the left side frame rail. Compression/barb fittings at the ends. Rubber hose from those tubes to fuel rail by lower right radiator outlet.
              1970, Exploder 5.0 with P heads, EEC-IV EDIS, lots of wiring.

Originally posted by CityHick
              I suddenly feel rich and feel the need to dump more cash into my Bronco.

Comment

Yeah I remember most of that when we talked when I came to your place. I still like simple. And will go that route unless someone says it a re problem.

Carpe' Dium

Comment

Simple = good. Start there. Someone else might say different, but you don't have to believe them

Do use the filter after the pump though (you can usually find filter brackets on various Fords in the yards) and I'd advise the cheap filter upstream of the pump, just in case. Could save an expensive pump.
                  1970, Exploder 5.0 with P heads, EEC-IV EDIS, lots of wiring.

Originally posted by CityHick
                  I suddenly feel rich and feel the need to dump more cash into my Bronco.

Comment

Like Lars, KISS. Tank, cheap filter, LP pump by tank, good filter, HP in engine bay (less HP hose). Using a pass side inlet 5.0 rail. I ran my lines down the pass side also.
                    68 Slightly modified
                    67 LUBR once again
                    61 Willy Wagon

Comment

Nope...my fuel rail is definitely set up for front driver's side fuel lines.

Maybe they changed in the later production years. Or mine was changed when it was rebuilt which was just before I bought it.

Carpe' Dium

Comment

My rails might be from a Crown Vic, dont remember, procured tons of parts/engines during my swap
                        68 Slightly modified
                        67 LUBR once again
                        61 Willy Wagon

Comment

Originally posted by Broncrick View Post
                          Like Lars, KISS. Tank, cheap filter, LP pump by tank, good filter, HP in engine bay (less HP hose). Using a pass side inlet 5.0 rail. I ran my lines down the pass side also.

X3..lines either side as needed..
                          Dealer for: Dynatrac,,Atlas, Advance Adapters, Bilstein, Sway-A-Way's, Hella, Deaver Springs, Ford Diesel suspension and Performance. Jeep suspension's

ctperformanceinc@yahoo.com

Comment

Mines the same as Lars's but using a bought BC accumulator.
                            Mark Harris
                            71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

Mark, do you think the accum. is helpful. Would you do it again?

Carpe' Dium

Comment

Working...
                              X