Prepping Aluminium Intakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prepping Aluminium Intakes

I am removing the EGR from the upper intake (89 EFI)... Getting ready for prep and paint. Removed the four nuts and ..... this thing is glued to the upper intake.. any ideas? I dont want to beat on it too hard cuz of the throttle body on it.. Can i double nut the stud to remove it?(Its not reverse rotation when it goes into the intake is it)? Just looking for ideas.

Aaron
    KK6DAD
    70 Miles to the Rubicon!

Re: Removing the EGR

Originally posted by Daddy4zack View Post
    I am removing the EGR from the upper intake (89 EFI)... Getting ready for prep and paint. Removed the four nuts and ..... this thing is glued to the upper intake.. any ideas? I dont want to beat on it too hard cuz of the throttle body on it.. Can i double nut the stud to remove it?(Its not reverse rotation when it goes into the intake is it)? Just looking for ideas.

Aaron
    Two nuts takes the EGR valve off, you must be talking about the EGR spacer with the four nuts off.... Just pull off the TB and then slide off the spacer. Probably does some "mung" on it...

Double nut the studs off to clean, standard rotation... Lefty Loosey, Righty Tighty
    2002 F250 Superduty, 7.3 241,500 miles and counting
    1979 Bronco, 351M,NP435,4:11's on 33's
    2016 Race Red Shelby GT350

Comment

You will need new studs / bolts any way with the EGR plate gone.
      Originally posted by TBS-POPS
      After a huge amount of reflection, I have determined that what I saw in ukiah was in fact Brians bronco. I was also informed by my wife that she infact heard it run!!

Comment

Originally posted by 904Bronco View Post
        Two nuts takes the EGR valve off, you must be talking about the EGR spacer with the four nuts off.... Just pull off the TB and then slide off the spacer. Probably does some "mung" on it...

Double nut the studs off to clean, standard rotation... Lefty Loosey, Righty Tighty
        Ohh you make it sound so easy... The throttle body is stuck to the egr thing and that is stuck to the upper intake..
        KK6DAD
        70 Miles to the Rubicon!

Comment

Just gaskets. The EGR valve body gets hot, so they get coked up and can adhere pretty well. A good smack with a dead blow hammer should loosen it. If that doesn't work then double-nut the studs and remove them, so you can really whack it
          1970, Exploder 5.0 with P heads, EEC-IV EDIS, lots of wiring.

Originally posted by CityHick
          I suddenly feel rich and feel the need to dump more cash into my Bronco.

Comment

Originally posted by Lars View Post
            Just gaskets. The EGR valve body gets hot, so they get coked up and can adhere pretty well. A good smack with a dead blow hammer should loosen it. If that doesn't work then double-nut the studs and remove them, so you can really whack it
            Thats next on the plan for tomorrow.
            KK6DAD
            70 Miles to the Rubicon!

Comment

Originally posted by Lars View Post
              X2, that ought to do the trick.

Comment

Prepping Aluminium Intakes

What a pain... Got it off.. finally.. Bolts removed ready to prep and paint. Any tips appreciated..

What to uses to clean the intakes?

I have the self etching primer and paint.
                Last edited by Daddy4zack; 12-07-2010, 06:12 PM.
                KK6DAD
                70 Miles to the Rubicon!

Comment

Re: Prepping Aluminium Intakes

Oven off, aluminum wheel cleaner, steam cleaner, hot tank all options.
                  sigpicRoad trips on an island get boring after the 1st lap...

Comment

Originally posted by Fungus232 View Post
                    Oven off, aluminum wheel cleaner, steam cleaner, hot tank all options.
                    Just wondering if any of those would leave residual that would interfere with painting.
                    KK6DAD
                    70 Miles to the Rubicon!

Comment

The oven off & wheel cleaner gets hosed off or if you have a pressure washer, hit it w/ that. Steam cleaner works better if you have access to one & having them hot tanked is the best but not free. I'd go w/ one of the 1st two routes since you're gonna paint anyway but I can be a cheap bastard like that...
                      sigpicRoad trips on an island get boring after the 1st lap...

Comment

I just used brake cleaner to degrease them and then painted them with a high heat Dupli Color aluminum color paint.
                        Last edited by crawlin68; 12-08-2010, 06:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by crawlin68 View Post
                          I just used brake cleaner to degrease them and then painted them with a high heat Dupli Color aluminum color paint.
                          x2, but I use MEP before paint
                          68 Slightly modified
                          67 LUBR once again
                          61 Willy Wagon

Comment

Kind of a ghetto steamer but it works. At my old place i put a valve on my hot water line right off the water heater so i could hook my old pressure washer right to the hot water.
                            75 sport 302 c4 full width 44 front 9 rear let the building begin

Comment

Originally posted by Fungus232 View Post
                              The oven off & wheel cleaner gets hosed off or if you have a pressure washer, hit it w/ that. Steam cleaner works better if you have access to one & having them hot tanked is the best but not free. I'd go w/ one of the 1st two routes since you're gonna paint anyway but I can be a cheap bastard like that...
                              I don't know about the new hot tanking. But in the old days you could NOT Hot Tank Alumimium
                              Originally posted by TBS-POPS
                              After a huge amount of reflection, I have determined that what I saw in ukiah was in fact Brians bronco. I was also informed by my wife that she infact heard it run!!

Comment

Working...
                              X