NV4500 question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NV4500 question

So I have an nv4500 from a 93 dodge that had a v10. The input shaft is a 1 1/8" 19 spline and the clutch that came with the Advance Adapter package is is a standard GM 1" 10 spline. Should I swap the input shaft over to the GM and use the standard clutch disc? I can't seem to find the dodge clutch disc, only the kit.
    They flex like a boneless hooker

Re: NV4500 question

Are you sure that input shaft isn't 1" 19 spline? That's what was used in 92-93. My references don't show a 1 1/8" 19 spline. In any case that's an oddball since Dodge went to 10 spline on everything in 1994 and as far as I know GM never had a 19 spline input, so yeah, you'll probably need a new input shaft.

Before I bought anything I'd give Dan at www.quad4x4.com in Montana a call. He probably knows more about the NV4500 than anyone. I got all my rebuild parts from him and the excellent rebuild manual that he publishes.
    1970, Exploder 5.0 with P heads, EEC-IV EDIS, lots of wiring.

Originally posted by CityHick
    I suddenly feel rich and feel the need to dump more cash into my Bronco.

Comment

Ha, you are correct, it is a 1" 19 spline shaft. I talked with Advance Adapters and they recommended replacing the input shaft with a gm 10 spline. I guess that is what I will have to do.

Thanks for the help.

Comment

I wasn't even aware the v10 even existed in 93. Seeing as how that is the old body style. And dodge was running a nasty getrag 5 speed behind the cummins. Hell for a truck automatic dodge was still using the 727 w/ an overdrive unit attached and renamed the 518.

You can also check with James Rooney he is on our board and built Patrick (crawlin68) nv
        72' in pieces and piles of awesomeness

Comment

I would go to a good clutch and brake supplier and get a disc. if ya cant find one up there, get me the specs of what you need and I will go to and see my buddies over here at CBX. Or you can call Brandon at clutch and brake exchange in stockton.
          72 sport/exp.,TBI 302,NP435,4.56 Powrlok/ARB in Full Width's.5.5" CAGE lift w/arms,2'' bl,37's, rescued from the concrete jungle (L.A.) NEVER DONE!!! Sold to buy a Boat, Now Broncoless.....Now it's fast water,smooth women and cold beer!! toad jeep owner now,,,,,, sorry

ALL MY DRINKING BUDDIES HAVE A SEVERE BRONCO PROBLEM !!!

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71
          BULLSHIT! I love your meat in my mouth
          RIP MARK BECK RIP MY FRIEND! RIP GIZMO,My little Buddy.

Comment

Here are typical specs for the 1993 light duty Dodge clutch. That's LuK, I just posted it to show the specs. Maybe TBS-POPS' clutch guy can get you a disc only. Since it's an 11" clutch it should work with the Bronco flywheel. In that case you can keep the input shaft you have. Or, since the 19 spline input is out of production and impossible to find, sell it to some poor sucker who desperately needs one for his 1993 Dodge at a big profit, and buy a new 10 spline 1-1/8" shaft They are a lot stronger, not that it matters in a Bronco.

One thing that kills NV4500s on the input side is a bad pilot bearing/bushing, so make sure you install a new one. The 10 spline Dodge NV4500s used a 3/4" bore pilot bearing but the 19 spline input might be different.

On the output side, those transmissions were famous for losing 5th gear when they were behind diesels. The V10 didn't come out till 1994 and in any case they would've had the heavy duty version of the transmission (bigger input shaft) so I sorta doubt that yours was behind a V10. That's a good thing, because the V8 gas engines didn't trash 5th gear. Likely yours is still good, but pull the tail housing and check the tightness of the 5th gear retaining nut just to be sure.

What transfer case are you gonna use?
            1970, Exploder 5.0 with P heads, EEC-IV EDIS, lots of wiring.

Originally posted by CityHick
            I suddenly feel rich and feel the need to dump more cash into my Bronco.

Comment

Thanks for all of the help guys. I was told it is a very rare tranny and it was behind a v10. I guess that is not true. I am going to switch to a 10 spline input shaft just to make it easier to find a clutch disc when I need to replace it later on. It just amazes me how many parts stores and people I talk to on the phone tell me different things. I really appreciate all of the input from this site, you guys rock.

Comment

I've got a perfect 1-1/8 x 10 spline Dodge gas input shaft that I swapped out of an NV4500.

You CAN use your 1" x 19 spline input shaft, but you will need to find an 11 inch clutch disc with that 19 spline hub. It is kind of an oddball.

You don't want to use the GM shaft, as it is 6-1/2 inches long, and does not work with the AA bell housing adapter. You need the 7-1/2 inch long Dodge shaft...which works with the 7/8 inch thick adapter.

It can easily fit into a USPS flat rate box...so shipping will be cheap. Figure $50 +shipping.

Jamesroney@yahoo.com

Comment

Originally posted by Slapaho View Post
                  Thanks for all of the help guys. I was told it is a very rare tranny and it was behind a v10. I guess that is not true. I am going to switch to a 10 spline input shaft just to make it easier to find a clutch disc when I need to replace it later on. It just amazes me how many parts stores and people I talk to on the phone tell me different things. I really appreciate all of the input from this site, you guys rock.
                  It is really difficult to find a competent parts guy anymore. My father worked in the auto/truck parts industry for 30+ years and I have learned quite a bit from him. It can be pretty annoying when I have to help the auto parts store guys do their job so I can get my stuff faster!
                  SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

Thanks jamesroney, I sent you an email.

Competent parts guys are few and far between in my area.

Comment

Working...
                    X