Automotive Paint and Primer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Automotive Paint and Primer

Any suggestions out there for a good primer, paint and clear coat? Im pretty sure I decided on my color already. Every local paint shop wants to sell you something different and the prices range a lot. Im doing a basecoat clear coat and I will need a primer that is good with Bondo, bare metal and some existing primer/paint.
    Omni seems to be the paint I hear about the most, with the PPG 2021 Clear Coat on top of a Featherfill Primer.

Im just looking for suggestions. I see so many places online that are cheaper such as Eastwood but they have their own label.

Im sure you all have seen my posts about body work :-) Well...Body work is complete, now onto the primer.

It doesnt need to be the top of the line as we all know that once I hit Fordyce or Rubicon the first time, Im sure a panel will be taken out.
    72 Bronco, 89 5.0 EFI, NP435, Mustang Hydro, PSC Steering with Ram Assist, Dana 20 with Twin Sticks, Rear 9 inch with Detroit, Front Dana 44-Yukon Gold Joints with Detroit, 5.13 gears, 5.5" Coils up front, 4 Link rear with 2" body lift, 37" Toyos...Money Pit!

Re: Automotive Paint and Primer

CageDave will hopefully chime in.. Great auto Painter.
    KK6DAD
    70 Miles to the Rubicon!

Comment

TCPglobal.com seems to have good prices and a wide range of colors. They also have info on each product primers, paint, etc
      1970 Bronco 302 np435 3.5 lift 33s disc brakes ford 9 w Yukon locker

Comment

I used U-Pol primer on mine, it's a cheaper primer but works on bare metal, is a high build and can be shot on as a seal coat. It's very easy to use, and sand. I also used PPG paint over the top of it. Omni is PPG's basement level paint and it's pretty good stuff. My first paint job came out damn near show quality so I'd say it's pretty good primer. I'm sure some professional painters will scoff at it, but a buddy that helped me with some body work and the final cut and polish has been a body man for 20 years seemed to think it was good stuff, and his shop uses Glasruit, PPG, and now BASF....

Comment

I'm by no means an expert, but my local paint shop suggested the following sequence:

Evercoat FeatherFill primer over the body work - this is a high build primer that applies kind of rough, and you block sand a good deal of that stuff off. It just helps form a much more uniform surface. Once blocked to my liking, I built my garage paint booth and hit the whole body with PPG DP40LF epoxy primer/sealer. This stuff applies with a smaller orifice on your spray gun and lays down just like paint. The paint shop suggested letting this stuff flash "for about the amount of time it takes to go inside and drink a beer" (20-30 minutes) then follow that with your first coat of color. I shot DuPont Imron 5000, a single stage polyurethane.

The technique suggested for the color coat was to apply two wet coats - the first coat applied in overlapping vertical strokes, the second coat applied in overlapping horizontal strokes - these two coats are applied in pretty quick succession, with about a 10 minute flash time as memory serves. I then let the paint cure for a couple of days, block sanded and buffed (accidentally sanding through in a few spots), so I applied two more light coats, also in a criss-cross fashion.

I had pretty good results for an amateur - its probably a 10 footer (looks good from 10 feet away).

I'd suggest speaking to a good paint shop first though - they'll recommend a primer and paint combination that they know works well together.
          Last edited by CityHick; 12-16-2010, 07:31 PM.
          1970 Bronco
          My build thread

Comment

I have no input.

Originally posted by CityHick View Post
            I"for about the amount of time it takes to go inside and drink a beer" (20-30 minutes)
            I think CalPoly owes you a refund
            {o===o}
            Originally posted by TBS-POPS
            EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....
            Originally posted by CityHick
            I don't give probabilities in percentage format anymore

Comment

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71 View Post

I think CalPoly owes you a refund

DRINK a beer, not pound a beer...
              1970 Bronco
              My build thread

Comment

Originally posted by CityHick View Post
                DRINK a beer, not pound a beer...
                I dont understand.......
                {o===o}
                Originally posted by TBS-POPS
                EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....
                Originally posted by CityHick
                I don't give probabilities in percentage format anymore

Comment

Working...
                X