Front "drop-in" locker opinions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front "drop-in" locker opinions?

I'm interested in anybody's opinion on front "lunchbox" lockers. My rig has the stock axles and drivetrain at this point with a factory limited slip rear end. I'm considering adding something along the lines of a LockRight or some other "drop-in" locker to the front end. I just want the added assurance to be able to pull myself out or idle over stuff when that factory rear starts to slip. Anybody have experience with one of these type lockers in the front of their rig or an opinion one way or the other?

I don't want to go the expense of setting up a traditional diff at this point because I'm still not sure what ratio I'm going to stick with. Right now the 3.55 are a bit high, but workable for what I'm using this rig for. A drop-in locker sounds like an economical option.
    1973 Bronco: 302, C4 auto, stock interior, stock drivetrain, 3.50 gears, power brakes, twin-stick, 3.5" WH suspension, 33" Goodyear MTR, Mile-Marker hydraulic winch

Re: Front "drop-in" locker opinions?

Ryan did this.. he loves it.. he will chime in..
    KK6DAD
    70 Miles to the Rubicon!

Comment

Its awesome.

They are almost all the same. I chose the Spartan because it was the only one that came with a new cross pin.
      http://www.norcalbroncos.com/forum/s...52&postcount=1
      {o===o}
      Originally posted by TBS-POPS
      EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....
      Originally posted by CityHick
      I don't give probabilities in percentage format anymore

Comment

I got an Aussie for mine still sittin in the box. Just waiting on the time to do a complete frontend job on the 69 to throw it in. Another guy that bought his at the same time installed his in a few hours & loves it.
        sigpicRoad trips on an island get boring after the 1st lap...

Comment

The hardest part is putting the tools away.
          {o===o}
          Originally posted by TBS-POPS
          EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....
          Originally posted by CityHick
          I don't give probabilities in percentage format anymore

Comment

I put an Aussie in my D44 4:11 . It was easy and it works. You can really feel it lock up - sometimes you need to touch the brakes to get them to lock up but damn nice and cheap.
            Relativity: Where ever you go, there you are.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback.

Am I correct in saying that you don't even have to pull the shafts to install one of these units? It's just replacing the side gears with whatever you're installing, right?
              1973 Bronco: 302, C4 auto, stock interior, stock drivetrain, 3.50 gears, power brakes, twin-stick, 3.5" WH suspension, 33" Goodyear MTR, Mile-Marker hydraulic winch

Comment

You've got to pull the shafts far enough to drop the carrier out of your housing. You dont have to pull the pinion gear or reset anything. Replace the spiders in your carrier w/ the locker & put the carrier back in just the way it was before removal.
                sigpicRoad trips on an island get boring after the 1st lap...

Comment

With the Aussie Locker up front, do you guys like the way it drives in the snow?
                  Leave No One Behind
                  KK6AUW

Comment

I'm a huge fan of the Aussie locker, I've installed a good amount of them for people over the years during axle work.

But, you said you were running stock shafts, that means the 260 seriers U joints. IMO, I would not add a locker to that setup until you can upgrade to the larger 297/760 joints.
                    Mark Harris
                    71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

Working...
                    X