P/S box leaking -

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P/S box leaking -

I don't have any experience with power steering box repairs. Leaking at the bottom, probably time for a rebuild.

Looks like kits are around $65 or so, and the procedure can be a bit of a PITA. Is there anyone around Modesto/Stockton that rebuilds these at a reasonable price? With the time this would take me I can get a lot of other things done.

Re: P/S box leaking -

Not local but one of the best rebuilders around if you end up shipping,check them out. The only thing they don't do is tap for Hydrolics. http://www.redheadsteeringgears.com/
    Last edited by Rlemon; 01-03-2011, 11:11 AM.
    76, DuPont midori sour green, explorer 5.0, Mild built C4, D20, 1 ton steering, 44 w/soft locker 4:11, 9" w/locker, 4.5" lift, 1" NHL Bodylift, Duff front long arm's,4.5 WH front and rear, 35 toyo's, FloFit seats and other dodad's.

Comment

If it's just the sector shaft seal that's leaking (The seal above where the pitman arm bolts, that's a 8$ seal and a 5 min job to replace, no need to even remove the box.
      Mark Harris
      71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

Thought a little preventative maintenance might be a good idea. I am locking the front and going to 37" tires, and the 38 year old steering box was designed for 28" tires. Maybe I am buying in to the hype about the 4x4x2 boxes the vendors want me to buy.

Just got some interesting advice from from West Texas Offroad - for $500 I can get the box rebuilt and hydro assist, so the box will be under a much lighter load.

What he really said when I asked about the 4x4x2 setup was "Why would you want to do that?"

Comment

I'm cheap
          Really the only thing that wears out inside a steering box are the seals.
          I don't even know what box you have, but if you're wanting something stronger, then doing the 4x4x2 box is the ticket, places like BC will sell you one, or West Texas Off Road might be able to as well. From there either company might drill and tap it for hydro assist as well if you want.
          Mark Harris

Comment

Snap ring, two seals and a washer. Pull the snap ring and first seal. Washer next, then another seal after measuring its depth. Put new seal in at same depth, the oring, then second seal, then snapper. Agree with Mark, no reason to rebuild. You can also easily do the other seals without taking it apart. Just need a spanner, or use a punch and a hammer.
            “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

Originally posted by welndmn View Post
              I'm cheap
              Really the only thing that wears out inside a steering box are the seals.
              I don't even know what box you have, but if you're wanting something stronger, then doing the 4x4x2 box is the ticket, places like BC will sell you one, or West Texas Off Road might be able to as well. From there either company might drill and tap it for hydro assist as well if you want.
              Mark, I have valued your input even more since you accused me of trying to make the wheel rounder. I think I was trying to re-invent the front end at the time. You tend to provide a good reality check when needed.

So - here is my thinking: I have the stock '73 box, pretty certain it has never been worked on. Already have the pitman off and want to redo my steering linkage anyway, so this is a good time to pull it. I was getting a bit concerned about two things: pushing the stock box beyond it's limits, and building a track bar bracket setup based on that box knowing that if it broke, I wouldn't replace it with the same thing. If I didn't have a stock box already, 4x4x2 would definitely be the way to go.

That is why I was so intrigued with the input from WTO - all the benefits of a stock box w/o as much worry about breakage due to the fact that the ram would do most of the work. Actually, Matt at WTO seemed to think that the sector shaft in the stock box was stronger and the mounting setup was better.
              Last edited by tortuga; 01-03-2011, 08:46 PM.

Comment

Thanks!
                Having a stock EB PS box, really does toss some loops into it all.
                I know the feeling if something ever goes wrong with it, you're kind of screwed as you could never get another.
                I think I'd send it out and get it ported for a ram and have them toss in an exrta seal kit just to keep with you on the trail as I have seen rams blow seals out before.
                Mark Harris

Comment

Working...
                X