measurement needed on EB knuckle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• measurement needed on EB knuckle

Need to know how thick the steering arm is where the tie rod mounts - in other words, how deep is the hole for the tie rod end?

I think I am having an issue using instructions for an EB knuckle when I have F150/Big Bronco knuckles.

Thanks

Re: measurement needed on EB knuckle

Do you want EB or FS measurement
    72' in pieces and piles of awesomeness

Comment

EB. If they are the same as FS, I am chasing my tail again.

Comment

So it turns out that the Ford knuckles have a thicker steering arm than the typical Chevy, and I suspect that the EB knuckle will be closer to the Chevy.

Checked three different D44 GM knuckles (cost me 2$) and they were all right around 13/16". The Ford knuckles are right around an inch.

Sooo, Now I have to figure out what to do about it so I can get a good bite on the threads and get a cotter pin in as well. Called PartsMike, he recommended removing material from the arm - this happens often. Would have been great to learn that when I bought all this crap.

Gonna try to rig it up in the bandsaw and see what happens.

Comment

Why not just grind a bit off the bottom.
          72' in pieces and piles of awesomeness

Comment

That would work, but I don't want to if I don't have to. It is actually a fairly large surface, 1 3/4" to grind flat and square with the bore. It would actually be worth it to have it milled, probably.

Right now I am eyeballing the Ford tie rod to see if it would work if I can change the geometry on the drag link a bit. The Ford TRE's are much longer than the GM.

Comment

Working...
            X