Pro's/Con's between a 5.0 EFI conversion Vs Holley Commander EFI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pro's/Con's between a 5.0 EFI conversion Vs Holley Commander EFI

Sorry about the long title. I am looking at the different options out there for running an EFI set-up. I know most of you run some Ford EFI conversion system from a mustang or simular vehicle. I was wondering if anyone has tried one of those Bolt on TB systems like the Holley Commander. How did it work out at different elevations, ease of installations and ease of tuning.
    I like the idea of it appearing carberated but having the smooth running afforded by an EFI system.

Thanks Dave

Re: Pro's/Con's between a 5.0 EFI conversion Vs Holley Commander EFI

Do not run a Holley. I have never heard of or met anyone who had a good experience with the Holley systems. Symptoms are usually: bad idle, sluggish throttle response and poor customer service when it comes to tech. Basically it boils down to ECM issues and getting it reflashed over and over and over again till you give up.

The jeep guys really like Howell injection and I myself am leaning toward a TBI setup. I ran into an FJ40 guy with a SBC that had just installed Fast fuel injection. I really liked it because it came with a plug'n play programmer. He said his truck team great.
    Even though I really liked the looks of and tuneability of the Fast, I like TBI setups because they are in expensive. Check out AffordableFuelInjection. Seems like a real nice kit for $1200 but allows you to down grade into a DIY setup using OEM GM TBI systems.
    72' in pieces and piles of awesomeness

Comment

I have a friend with a buggy he just took his Holley pro. Inj. off his 351. Went with all 5.0 EFI on his 351 with the BC plate only has ran it one day and is 100% + happier
      Originally posted by TBS-POPS
      After a huge amount of reflection, I have determined that what I saw in ukiah was in fact Brians bronco. I was also informed by my wife that she infact heard it run!!

Comment

Originally posted by TRAILBOUND View Post
        Do not run a Holley. I have never heard of or met anyone who had a good experience with the Holley systems. Symptoms are usually: bad idle, sluggish throttle response and poor customer service when it comes to tech. Basically it boils down to ECM issues and getting it reflashed over and over and over again till you give up.

The jeep guys really like Howell injection and I myself am leaning toward a TBI setup. I ran into an FJ40 guy with a SBC that had just installed Fast fuel injection. I really liked it because it came with a plug'n play programmer. He said his truck team great.
        Even though I really liked the looks of and tuneability of the Fast, I like TBI setups because they are in expensive. Check out AffordableFuelInjection. Seems like a real nice kit for $1200 but allows you to down grade into a DIY setup using OEM GM TBI systems.
        Just like Justin said.. Affordable fuel Injection. com
        KK6DAD
        70 Miles to the Rubicon!

Comment

I've heard equally bad things as Trailbound has about the Holley EFI setup so I'd steer clear.

I'd consider a GM TBI setup; I drove a 1988 Blazer for many years and it was super reliable, requiring very little maintenance. Its TBI unit was pretty much what you get with Howell and similar TBI kits. I didn't do any modifications to that truck's engine, but I will say that setup never complained about changes in elevation or steep hill climbs, and always had great throttle response. Seems like a pretty easy swap onto a carbed engine with lots of aftermarket support.

Keep us updated with whatever you decide on... one day I may finally ditch my Qjet...
          1970 Bronco
          My build thread

Comment

The IH guys seemed to have figured out the GM TBI setup pretty well! Here's some great reading on putting together you're own system from a junkyard donor on the cheap. Looking at this for the Travelall project.

http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=47254

The AFI kit is a new or rebuilt OEM throttle body (same as you'd get off a donor) with a new wiring harness only 3 to 4 times the cost of putting together your own system off an 88-91 chebby... Hell, for the cost of an AFI kit, you could buy a donor off CL, take what you wanted and part the rest out netting you a FREE (or damn near free) TBI system.
            Last edited by Fungus232; 01-24-2011, 12:24 PM.
            sigpicRoad trips on an island get boring after the 1st lap...

Comment

Howell TBI kit or factory Ford...
              2002 F250 Superduty, 7.3 241,500 miles and counting
              1979 Bronco, 351M,NP435,4:11's on 33's
              2016 Race Red Shelby GT350

Comment

Howell was the originator, they've been doing efi on jeeps for a very long time. But AFI I think gives you better options. You could just buy the harness $500 and then junk yard all your parts and vatozone your sensors.
                TBI seems less "black magic" to me then SEFI.
                72' in pieces and piles of awesomeness

Comment

If i went TBI.... It would already be on the bronco and running.
                  KK6DAD
                  70 Miles to the Rubicon!

Comment

While I agree with the others about the other brands being good, and the older Holley systems (especially the Pro-Jection setups) being junk, the Commander is a completely different setup. And, from what I've heard from the few others I know that are familiar with it, it's a sweet setup.

I think the guys at the 4WPW store in San Jose worked on two of them (both on EB's) just a couple of months ago. You could probably give Carlos (store manager and EB owner too) a call and see what they thought about them.
                    I'm not sure if they did the initial install and setup on the EFI systems too, but am pretty sure they had both Broncos in there for an extended tour for lots of work.

Paul
                    Wild Horses 4-Wheel Drive
                    www.wildhorses4x4.com

71 U15 3.5" WH lift, Hanson rear, cut w/33" Swamper Thornbirds
                    68 U15 2.5" WH lift, Hanson front, uncut w/31 BFG Explorer engine/trans

Comment

There's another option I've been toying with too. You can use all the Ford stuff, but use an aftermarket controller/ECU like the Painless Perfect setup, or Accel's DFI computers with your stock stuff.
                      With the Painless, I believe you'd have to swap one or two sensors for GM products, but that's not a big deal. With the DFI products, you just run what you've got but have the tunability of the aftermarket ECU.

Paul
                      Wild Horses 4-Wheel Drive
                      www.wildhorses4x4.com

71 U15 3.5" WH lift, Hanson rear, cut w/33" Swamper Thornbirds
                      68 U15 2.5" WH lift, Hanson front, uncut w/31 BFG Explorer engine/trans

Comment

I have the Holley Commander on mine and it seems fine I just need to put the time in to get it dialed in better. I have a 302 but the kit I have on it would probably be better for the 351 that will go in one day. I like the tune-ablity aspect of the HC but that also makes it more time consuming. Some want to plug it in and go so if thats your mo then dont get the HC. Alot get the Projection system of old mixed up when your talking Holley TBI so dont always go with what you hear from somone who heard it from a fella that had a friend who had the set up.
                        1967, 302,C4, I DID it Not SOME FRIGGEN SHOP.

Comment

If you have a 302/351 i see no reason to not go with the factory Ford setup.
                          It's a better system and it's going to be cheaper then all the others.
                          Another big plus is the fact that all the parts can be easily replaced at an local auto parts store.
                          Mark Harris
                          71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

Originally posted by welndmn View Post
                            If you have a 302/351 i see no reason to not go with the factory Ford setup.
                            It's a better system and it's going to be cheaper then all the others.
                            Another big plus is the fact that all the parts can be easily replaced at an local auto parts store.
                            Plus, I think you get better throttle response and power from a multiport design than with a TBI set-up.
                            SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

Great responses guys and thanks. I have several friends running different EFI/MEFI type setups in blown BBC boats to include myself. I really like the "Look" of the TBI with a air cleaner and not overly concerned with price/tuning time. (I'm 3 years into getting my boat perfect and cold starts still eludes me). Now I don't want to spend a silly amount but I do only want to spend once.

If there is more experience with different brands pleased post up. I'd like to hear more about the Commander system too.

Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X