No announcement yet.

Who has Done the 4X4X2 box conversion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who has Done the 4X4X2 box conversion?

I picked up the 4X4 F-150 box today. I will be going back to Pick n Pull later this week for the 4X2 box.
    How hard /easy is the conversion? Any tips before I start? any web pages?

I will take lots of pics and do a write-up. Probably next weekend or so.. I have to get some red paint.. Crawln68 cant have the only painted box..

Aaron
    KK6DAD
    70 Miles to the Rubicon!

I had mine done by West Texas Offroad (Redneck Ram). Look in the tech section of BC broncos.

Sean
    '88 347 roller, Exploder EFI, WH Shorties, NP435, twin stick D-20 with Tera lows, 44 4:56's w/ARB chromos and CTMs, 9" Detroit, cust dash, wiring and STILL ALMOST "DONE"!...

Comment

I have one that I am not using,put new seals in it and it should be good. Dave

Comment

BCBRONCOS HAS A GOOD WRITE UP ON THIS ON THERE WEB SITE
        --------------------------------------------------------------------------------NOT ALL OF IT SHOWS MISSING PIC.

POWER STEERING CONVERSION

4X4 F-150 power steering box.
        The 1979 F-150 4X4 power steering box (at right) is about the same length as the Early Bronco power steering box. The EB pitman arm will fit. The F-150 box bolts to the outside of the frame. The bore is a litle larger than the EB box. Two of the three mounting holes will need to be moved to match the EB frame holes. The worm gear/rack will need to be replaced with the worm gear/rack from a 4X2 power steering box like the one below to make the 4X4 box steer correctly for the EB.

4X2 F-150 power steering box.
        At left is a 1981 4X2 F-150 power steering box. Notice that both boxes have the same spool valve housing with four bolts holding it onto the steering box. We will use the 4X2 spool valve/housing, worm gear and piston/rack in the 4X4 box in order to change the steering direction.
        Last edited by Bronco Brian; 08-12-2006, 07:46 PM.
        Originally posted by TBS-POPS
        After a huge amount of reflection, I have determined that what I saw in ukiah was in fact Brians bronco. I was also informed by my wife that she infact heard it run!!

Comment

If you have a 79 4x4 box, you are lucky. those are getting harder to get.

When you went to pick n pull you should have taken a pitman arm puller with you. You need to remove the sector shaft out first then the worm gear. Find a 2x4 box and swap the worm gears at the yard. It is extremely easy to do. Just make sure you keep the worm gear together or all the balls will fall out. Once I swapped the worm gears I sent my box to West Texas off road. They rebuilt the box and tapped it for me. It came back in perfect condition. When I originally swapped the worm gears I had a lot of slop in the steering. I didnt care because they fixed it all up for me anyways. There is an adjustment on the top of the sector shaft that will set the gears.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by brocbronc; 08-12-2006, 11:38 PM.
          69 bronco, 72 bronco, 66 vert stang

Comment

I didnt think of switching the internals right there at the yard.. good idea..

Aaron
            KK6DAD
            70 Miles to the Rubicon!

Comment

I did the switch in the yard too. Then you only only have to buy one box. It is pretty easy to do as mentioned above. Just make sure all of roller ball bearings don't fall out all over the floor. Don't ask me how I know about this. I got a rebuild kit from Napa that has all of the seals, o-rings and the lower sector shaft bearing it. Don't forget to lube the new o-rings as you put them in. After I rebuilt mine, I installed it and it worked great. But then I decided to install my ram assist steering so I sent the box to West Texas Offroad and had them rebuild and drill and tap it for me.

Oh yeah, they painted over my pretty blue paint job, so it's just black now.

Comment

How much was shipping to westtexas? just wondering.. Didnt even think of doing the switch at the yard.. damn. I think I will send it to them for a once over..

Atleast I found the box..
                Aaron
                KK6DAD
                70 Miles to the Rubicon!

Comment

Can't remember how much shipping was, but it was under $50. Be sure of a couple of things....

1. WTO will swap out the gears for you for a min price, just make sure they remember to do it....(don't ask how I know )

2. Get insurance from UPS/Fed-ex

3. Examine not only the steering box but the box it comes in when you get it. Take pix if you have to. UPS took the term "drop shipped" a little too literally. They dropped the box at some point directly onto the sector shaft and grenaded the internals. Matt at WTO is a great guy and worked with me above and beyond, but UPS was a major PITA!

Just from experience,

Sean
                  '88 347 roller, Exploder EFI, WH Shorties, NP435, twin stick D-20 with Tera lows, 44 4:56's w/ARB chromos and CTMs, 9" Detroit, cust dash, wiring and STILL ALMOST "DONE"!...

Comment

WOW.. thanks for the heads up..

A
                    KK6DAD
                    70 Miles to the Rubicon!

Comment

Yeah Matt is the man! If you are going to send it to them to rebuild, just have them swap the worm gear for you. That would save you the time and hassel of having to go back to the yard and pull a 2WD box apart and buyin it and then taking it home and swapping the gear. And as FFMDX mentioned, box it up very very well with lots of padding. Just imagine as heavy as that box is, if you dropped it from 5-8 feet onto the cement. (Because it will get dropped) Do you have it padded good enough to withstand that drop? That's how I pack everything that I ship. I just assume that it IS going to be dropped.

Comment

Well I got it boxed up. Damn that thing is HEAVY!! I plan on placing this box inside a box of popcorn.. UPS Store here I come.. As soon as i walk in the door I will drop my pants and get whats coming to me.. I will insure the pakage for $500 and see what the total is.. Did any of you plastic band the box???

Thanks
                        Aaron
                        KK6DAD
                        70 Miles to the Rubicon!

Comment

Naaaa, I just tapped the sh$t out of it!!

Comment

Sent it out today. 43lbs. $36.00 Not too bad.. Orderd B.C's frame reinforcement kit. Will plate the inside frame with 3/16th steel. Thinking of making my Hydroboost hoses next so I can install everything at the same time.. should be about three weeks to get the box back..

A
                            KK6DAD
                            70 Miles to the Rubicon!

Comment

Sweet! Are you going to have them drill and tap it for hydro assist steering while it's there and torn apart? Just in case you ever want to add hydro assist steering at some point down the road.

Comment

Working...
                              X