76/77 Dana 44 Steering Linkage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 76/77 Dana 44 Steering Linkage

Has anyone reamed out the knuckles on a 76/77 EB 44 to do a tie rod over using the 1 ton joints? I've read several of the articles and want to go that route but I know that the knuckles on the EB 76/77 dics axles dont have as much meat as the drum conversions or full with knuckles. I'm afrad that the knuckle will crack under extreme load. I'm running 35's with 37's on the horrizon and am about to install the 4x4x2 box as well. Thanks for any help.

Russ
    1969 351W, Np435-NP205 5.5"FRNT 5.5"Rear 2"Body, Geared 4.10 Locked, 35" BFG's

Re: 76/77 Dana 44 Steering Linkage

Pardon my crappy spelling, shoulda proof read.

Comment

I wasn't aware of the major difference in the disc knuckles on the eb but if it's that much of a concern then I would swap in a set of 78-79 FSB or F-150 knuckles.I'll do some research myself.
      72 sport/exp.,TBI 302,NP435,4.56 Powrlok/ARB in Full Width's.5.5" CAGE lift w/arms,2'' bl,37's, rescued from the concrete jungle (L.A.) NEVER DONE!!! Sold to buy a Boat, Now Broncoless.....Now it's fast water,smooth women and cold beer!! toad jeep owner now,,,,,, sorry

ALL MY DRINKING BUDDIES HAVE A SEVERE BRONCO PROBLEM !!!

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71
      BULLSHIT! I love your meat in my mouth
      RIP MARK BECK RIP MY FRIEND! RIP GIZMO,My little Buddy.

Comment

Originally posted by EL Rojo View Post
        I know that the knuckles on the EB 76/77 dics axles dont have as much meat as the drum conversions or full with knuckles.
        Russ, how do you know this? Does not sound right to me. Are you concerned about meat around the tie rod end holes, or the knuckle in general?

Comment

Hey guys,

I'm worried about the amount of material left around the tapered hole. I'm basing this off of a HP dana 44 that had been drilled and shortened for an EB that I was dumb enough to sell. It had a lot beefier "arms?" than the axle I have under my rig which is one I bought complete from "The Bronco Connection" in 2006 and know for a fact it's a 76/77. It was supposed to be an f-150 converesion disk and knuckle conv. with linkage but the guy gave me the shaft and sent me a 76/77 axle with inverted Y linkage. I put Wild horses straight link kit on and it has bent under scrutiny. : )

Comment

I don't think it was a meat issue with the kunckle, but an issue with the tie rod end being very close to the wheel on the 76/77 factory disc brake kunckles.

Dunno, it's been a while since I've seen one.
            Mark Harris
            71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

Originally posted by welndmn View Post
              I don't think it was a meat issue with the kunckle, but an issue with the tie rod end being very close to the wheel on the 76/77 factory disc brake kunckles.

Dunno, it's been a while since I've seen one.
              Mark is correct, the 76/77 knuckles have a slight bend outward toward the rim. I have had issues running a 10" rim and shearing off the lip mounted weights until I went with the stick on internal style.
              69, 7" lift,D-44 with air locker, 9" 35 spl full floater with a locker, 4-wheel disc, custom paint, one off custom mods, Hanson bumpers and side protection, 35's on Champion beadlocks.

Comment

thanks for the help. The curve towards the tire was something I had forgotten about. I'm running 15x8's so I haven't had a problem yet.......so I guess it's time to buy a reamer.

Comment

Originally posted by welndmn View Post
                  absolutly correct. I have 78/79 knuckles on my kids EB and they have more meat and have about 3/4" more clearance to rim.
                  On my EB, I have the stocker 76/77 knuckles - less meat but not appreciably weaker in my opinion. Curve out more - about a 1/4" away from 15x10" aluminum rim - stripped my wheel weights off in less than 10 seconds. I did ream these for tie rod over - and they did the con no prob. If you go 17" rims (which is what I have now) they clear no problem.
                  Relativity: Where ever you go, there you are.

Comment

Thanks for the help guys. Time to order some parts from ebay.

Comment

Aren't the arm on the 76/77 also a little higher up than on the earlier years? So your high steer will be higher steer.

Comment

I did it on my 77 and have had no issues. The tie-rods were really close to my 15 inch rims, but cleared. I now have 17 inch rims and plenty of room.
                        77 Ranger, 302, C4, 4.88's, Detroits, 35 spline 9", WH 5.5", 3" BL, 37" BFG KM2's on Walker Evans 17" beadlocks

Comment

Working...
                        X