H1 Wheel advice...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1 Wheel advice...

I'm going to put beadlocks on the 68 stretch build and looking for some opinions/ advice/ tech help. I've got a set of standard 15" white spoke wagon wheels I was just going to put on a set of DIY beadlocks from Ruff Stuff. However, I have access to free H1 Hummer wheels out here and have been shopping around a little for new centers and rock rings. Either option is relatively cheap.

Anyone done the H1s from a DIY standpoint? Remove mag centers and go with PVC or something of the like? Overall, how impressed are you with the finished product vice a single external weld on beadlock like I'd end up with on my wagon wheels and Ruff Stuff kit? I'll be running FW 1/2 ton axles so they're 5x5.5" on the bolt pattern. That being said, using the wagon wheels would definately be less work but the added welding might be worth doing for a set of double beadlocks...

The other aspect is tire selection. H1s are 16.5" correct? Seems the offroad tire market will continue to support this size due to the prolific use of the H1 wheels. 15s, I hear, are starting to go the wayside...

Any recommendations or expertise appreciated as always fellas!
    Fungus
    Last edited by Fungus232; 02-23-2011, 04:40 PM.
    sigpicRoad trips on an island get boring after the 1st lap...

Re: H1 Wheel advice...

I used to run the 12 bolt H1 rims. I didn't do the recentering myself though. I had Dean at Performance Cryogenics in norcal do it for me. He did a great job by the way. I ditched the military runflats for Deans cage style inner beadlock. It works great and is much much lighter in weight. The PVC inserts are very heavy. If yours come with the mag runflats, you could always cut them down and run them. The H1 rims are in fact a 16.5 rim and they are only roughly 7 inches wide. Dean also makes a real nice rock ring that I got from him and welded on myself.

Comment

What wheels are you running now Patrick? Maybe I oughta just run the wagon wheels w/ ruffstuff locks until I find a good deal on some light weight alum beadlocks once home. That route would be cheaper & easier to facilitate getting this rig together.

Comment

Originally posted by Fungus232 View Post
        What wheels are you running now Patrick? Maybe I oughta just run the wagon wheels w/ ruffstuff locks until I find a good deal on some light weight alum beadlocks once home. That route would be cheaper & easier to facilitate getting this rig together.
        GO with 17" rims.. they are new 15.. When i can afford it i will be going with Walker Evans... Love them.. with a set of blue label BFG crawlers ... THE Best combo in my opinion.
        KK6DAD
        70 Miles to the Rubicon!

Comment

Good point. I think I'll just throw the kit on the 15s & get the rig home. I'll address new wheels when the tires need replacing & move the 15" beadlocks over to the 69 after a nice powder coating.

Comment

I had a helluva time looking for tires to fit my stock 16.5" wheels on my F250. Every place I talked to said that they are being phased out, so I ended up going to 18".
            '88 347 roller, Exploder EFI, WH Shorties, NP435, twin stick D-20 with Tera lows, 44 4:56's w/ARB chromos and CTMs, 9" Detroit, cust dash, wiring and STILL ALMOST "DONE"!...

Comment

Originally posted by FFMDX View Post
              I had a helluva time looking for tires to fit my stock 16.5" wheels on my F250. Every place I talked to said that they are being phased out, so I ended up going to 18".
              About the only decent ones I could find for DD use were a set of Interco Trxus MT radials. I'll prolly pickup a set of those for the 16.5" wheels on the binder.

Comment

I am running the aluminum Raceline Monster Beadlocks. 17 x 9.75. Love them!!
                Attached Files

Comment

Yeah, I've seen those wheels wrapped w/ 42" pitbull rockers up close & they're awesome. Think I'll just weld some locks on the 15s for the assembly & look for some nice 17" alums down the road.

Thanks guys!

Comment

I like the hummer wheels, they are cheap and go together much faster then a normal beadlock.
                    15's and 16.5's will never be phased out, but all the new super bad dude tires will not come out on those size wheels unless the public really pushes for them. If you need new wheels, it would be the time to setup to a 17.
                    Mark Harris
                    71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

I love my Hummers that were built by Dean. If your planning on upgrading the hummers might be worth more down the road. Keep it cheap and cut down the mag run flat. Forget about the rock rings,especially if they are 12 bolts. Mine have held up well running stupid low pressure.

Comment

Maybe if we're lucky the current military H1 wheels will eventually become surplus! Now they're using 17" wheels that have like 24 beadlock bolts! We had a train in the yard last year with about 100 up-armored Humvees... They all had those wheels and the high dollar BFG baja mud tires!
                        SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

Originally posted by Efibroncoman View Post
                          Maybe if we're lucky the current military H1 wheels will eventually become surplus! Now they're using 17" wheels that have like 24 beadlock bolts! We had a train in the yard last year with about 100 up-armored Humvees... They all had those wheels and the high dollar BFG baja mud tires!
                          Hmmm, they DRMO wheels here all the time as the maintenance shop here is not setup to "breakdown" the wheels. If they need new tires, they just chuck the whole setup and bolt on a new wheel/ tire! I'll keep my eye out for some 24 bolt 17"ers...

Comment

Once again, Pack a suitcase and i'll be a buyer for some 17 mil beadlocks.
                            {o===o}
                            Originally posted by TBS-POPS
                            EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....
                            Originally posted by CityHick
                            I don't give probabilities in percentage format anymore

Comment

I heard that! I'll take 5... I would love to have some of those!
                              SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

Working...
                              X