Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: H1 Wheel advice...

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71 View Post
    Once again, Pack a suitcase and i'll be a buyer for some 17 mil beadlocks.
    Originally posted by Efibroncoman View Post
    I heard that! I'll take 5... I would love to have some of those!
    If I can get a line on'em I'll check into shipping. Price would be a case of beer (for the Marine/s) and whatever shipping is. Prolly just be able to source them out there cheaper though as they come off the active duty roster and hit mainstream... I'll look into it though.
    sigpicRoad trips on an island get boring after the 1st lap...

Comment

Originally posted by Fungus232 View Post
      If I can get a line on'em I'll check into shipping. Price would be a case of beer (for the Marine/s) and whatever shipping is. Prolly just be able to source them out there cheaper though as they come off the active duty roster and hit mainstream... I'll look into it though.
      Make that 2 cases of beer good sir! One for the beadlocks and one just because.

When did they start using BFG Baja's? I have seen Goodyear on 99% and Interco on some HUMVEE's.
      Are the Bajas the KM2/Krawler style or the normal style?
      {o===o}
      Originally posted by TBS-POPS
      EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....
      Originally posted by CityHick
      I don't give probabilities in percentage format anymore

Comment

The tires I saw look like the picture below... I'm not sure how long they have been using them but a co-worker that had been to Iraq said they suck and they used to blow out all the time. That probably has more to do with the 14,000 lb Humvee that is driving on them than the tire construction. I'm sure they are good tires if your doors aren't 3/4" thick plate steel... All of the Humvees I saw at work were painted tan so I assume they were all headed to the desert, maybe they just use those tires in desert conditions because they have been baja tested.... Not sure. I think BFG discontinued them because they aren't on the website anymore but when they were the retail price was like $699 each.
        Attached Files
        SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

I'll take those too!
          {o===o}
          EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....

Comment

I've heard they're ok to get you by. The rubber compound is very hard compared to the commercial/ civilian aftermarket.

Comment

I've got to wiegh in. H1 wheels look way cool but are very heavy. Patrick has a great wheel combo, one I was going to run but I went with Hutchinson. Couple reasons, aluminum is stronger than steal, lighter and they are the only street legal DOT approved beed lock. One down side they do not have a rock ring to protect them. I put mine together with 41.5 Iroks in about 15-20 minutes a wheel. Once they were on the rig drove it down the freeway at 70 no wobble or shake and not balanced. Very high quality.

Comment

H1s

I have 39.5 iroks on recentered h1s. they are heavy wheels and the outer lip is pretty weak and ive bent mine up pretty good. i would recommend beefing up the lip. however the ones i bent were easily fixed by replacing the outer ring. only 8 bolts to replace. but ive never lost a bead at 4 lbs air pressure.

Allied raceline 17 beadlocks

I also have a set of 39.5 iroks on Allied beadlocks. They are unbalanced. They ride great on the road. They are probably 20-30 lbs lighter per wheel. However, the first time I went out with them I lost a bead on the front pass wheel on the slabs at beginning of the Con. I have to keep them above 7 lbs or I spin the wheel/tire bead and burp air.

15 inch wheels 35 bfgs

on my Toyota I had 15x8 inch wagon wheels. I never lost a bead without beadlocks. 15 inch wheels have a nice lip inside the rim that helps keep the tire bead seated against the outer lip.

so in my opinion, I run the 17 inch Allied beadlocks. they are a compromise but work good for me because i know their limitations. If I was offroad only I would do recentered H1s with some kind of lip protection welded on.

I have another set of 17 inch rock crawlers wheels with 40 in Maxxis Creepy Crawler Stickies. They are DIY beadlocks. The weld on beads are 1/4 plate. Mine have two 1/4 plates that sandwich the outer bead and an anticoning ring. This adds a lot of weight to the rim. Compared to the Allied beadlocks they are a much heavier wheel even though they are same dimensions and size. The Allied wheels use a pressed outer ring of thinner material, however because they are pressed, they are as strong as the 1/4 plate but lighter. similar to how a dimple die stiffens up flat sheetmetal.

Good luck with your decision.

Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah
                69 bronco, 72 bronco, 66 vert stang

Comment

Hmmm, they DRMO wheels here all the time as the maintenance shop here is not setup to "breakdown" the wheels. If they need new tires, they just chuck the whole setup and bolt on a new wheel/ tire! I'll keep my eye out for some 24 bolt 17"ers...
                  Why would I expect anything less from our military. LOL!! Why don't they just through the whole vehicle away once the tire wear out. LOL!! I've got bunch of $500 hammers, how many would you like?

Comment

I've heard they're ok to get you by. The rubber compound is very hard compared to the commercial/ civilian aftermarket.
                    Nothing that a little grooving and oxy acetylene torch couldn't fix
                    {o===o}

Comment

Originally posted by crawlin68 View Post
                      Why would I expect anything less from our military. LOL!! Why don't they just through the whole vehicle away once the tire wear out. LOL!! I've got bunch of $500 hammers, how many would you like?
                      Dont they crush all the hummers when they go out of service...what a waste

Thats how I rub...I mean roll!

Comment

Most H1's never make it to DRMO in one piece. The catch 22 is that tires and wheels come as a mounted set. So if you blow a tire, they pull it off the rim. Well the rim is still good and is still on the property book. So in order to turn it in to DRMO the wheel must be damaged ergo torch time.

Hmmwvs do not get crushed unless they are 100% loss. Phased out vehicles get auctioned to the public along with most military surplus.

And you can get H1's with 37 bfgs from a guy down south. He picks them up as surplus, I think he sells a set for $400. Check pirate.
                        72' in pieces and piles of awesomeness

Comment

I've seen the $400 set on pbb but I'm not sold on the 16.5 yet.
                          {o===o}

Comment

Originally posted by TRAILBOUND View Post
                            Well the rim is still good and is still on the property book. So in order to turn it in to DRMO the wheel must be damaged ergo torch time.
                            Not sure how they work it here on the USMC base but a buddy of mine (AD Sgt) grabbed a set of 5 outta there a couple months ago. NO torch whatsoever.

Comment

Oh it can be done. If I really wanted a set, I could snag some. Sorry guys that is not an offer.
                              72' in pieces and piles of awesomeness

Comment

I love my H1's. And the Pit Bull's kicked ass the one time I used them, and I tried to beat them up. Hope to abuse them some more in June. As for the weight. At least it's down low and unsprung. All the more reason to increase your rigs power to help turn them. I had no problem smoking my tires and pitching my rig sideways out on the road, heavy rims and tires or not.
                                1970 w/89 5.0, np 435/203/205, 456/locker/ARB, 4 wheel disc brakes w/hydroboost, 5.5" lift w/ext.radius arms, 3" bod lift, RS 9000's, tilt column, Hydro assist steering, 39.5" pitbull's on H1's. 4 link rear suspension. Hey brother, can you spare some change, I need parts....

Comment

Working...
                                X