Pertronix Ignitor II Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pertronix Ignitor II Question

I just bought a Pertronix Ignitor II from Wild Horses and I'm having a hell of a time making something that is supposed to be simple work. First problem after install my truck got hot. Never happened before but maybe I had air in the system. I let it cool down searched the internet and found that you need to change your timing to around 14 degrees btc. So I did. Looks like the overheating has gone away maybe, but now it will run about a mile and just shut down. If I wait a second it will start right back up. I have read that you need a full 12 volts at the coil to make this work so I checked and I have 15.6 volts. So now for the questions. Is 15.6 volts to high? Do I need a new voltage regulator? Where should I setup my timing 351w pretty much stock from 1970.
    sigpic

Re: Pertronix Ignitor II Question

15.6 Seems high to me. A volt reg shouldn't cost much.

But I am not a 12v expert. More of a hobbyist.
    {o===o}
    Originally posted by TBS-POPS
    EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....
    Originally posted by CityHick
    I don't give probabilities in percentage format anymore

Comment

15.6v is way to high. new voltage reg is in order.should only be 14.2-14.5.anything over that and things start to get weird. get the solid state one not the manuel one. timing should be about 8-10deg btdc. installing pertronix should not have any affect on how hot your engine gets unless you changed the timing after the install.
      72 sport/exp.,TBI 302,NP435,4.56 Powrlok/ARB in Full Width's.5.5" CAGE lift w/arms,2'' bl,37's, rescued from the concrete jungle (L.A.) NEVER DONE!!! Sold to buy a Boat, Now Broncoless.....Now it's fast water,smooth women and cold beer!! toad jeep owner now,,,,,, sorry

ALL MY DRINKING BUDDIES HAVE A SEVERE BRONCO PROBLEM !!!

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71
      BULLSHIT! I love your meat in my mouth
      RIP MARK BECK RIP MY FRIEND! RIP GIZMO,My little Buddy.

Comment

FWIW
        Im running 12*
        {o===o}
        EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....

Comment

Did you change the coil as well? I'm no expert, but don't think all coils can handle a full 12V let alone 15+. Isn't that what the ballast resistor was for?

I have run a pertronix ignitor and coil for a few years now with no issues at all, with a full 12-14V to the coil.

Comment

I am the biggest dumb ass ever. So over heating was an air gap, I had just installed my heater box and did not refill radiator. The Ultimate award goes to the fact I was out of gas thats why it would only run for a few minutes then quit. So I replaced voltage regulator, swapped coils back and forth repaced the ignitor with points and back twice. All because I didnt know it was out of gas. lol By the way thanks for all the help, I really need it
            sigpic

Comment

LOL!
              sigpicRoad trips on an island get boring after the 1st lap...

Comment

Two birds, One....
                {o===o}

Comment

Doh!
                  72 sport/exp.,TBI 302,NP435,4.56 Powrlok/ARB in Full Width's.5.5" CAGE lift w/arms,2'' bl,37's, rescued from the concrete jungle (L.A.) NEVER DONE!!! Sold to buy a Boat, Now Broncoless.....Now it's fast water,smooth women and cold beer!! toad jeep owner now,,,,,, sorry

ALL MY DRINKING BUDDIES HAVE A SEVERE BRONCO PROBLEM !!!

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71
                  BULLSHIT! I love your meat in my mouth
                  RIP MARK BECK RIP MY FRIEND! RIP GIZMO,My little Buddy.

Comment

And to clear up your info on the coil, tortuga was correct. If you did not change the coil, you have to keep the resistor in line so that it does not see full voltage. However, the Ignitor does need full voltage.

If you bought one of the Pertronix Flamethrower coils that are compatible with 12 volts, then you can run it full. Otherwise, keep the wiring to the coil as original, and only run a new wire to the Ignitor.
                    Their instruction diagrams used to be (maybe still are) drawn somewhat confusing and make it look like either you need to run full volts to the coil, or you need to run reduced voltage to the Ignitor.

So run full volts to the Ignitor, original volts to the coil, and fix your charging system.

Paul
                    Wild Horses 4-Wheel Drive
                    www.wildhorses4x4.com

71 U15 3.5" WH lift, Hanson rear, cut w/33" Swamper Thornbirds
                    68 U15 2.5" WH lift, Hanson front, uncut w/31 BFG Explorer engine/trans

Comment

I did get the flame thrower II coil with the ignitor. Now I just need to reinstall all of it one more time
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Stonedog View Post
                        I am the biggest dumb ass ever.
                        In the future, it is sufficient to say " thanks guys, I figured it out". We all know that means you figured out something was empty, loose, too tight, or missing but it is more dignified.

Comment

Originally posted by Stonedog View Post
                          I did get the flame thrower II coil with the ignitor. Now I just need to reinstall all of it one more time
                          You should still make sure which model it is. They sell coils for both 12v and reduced voltage systems.
                          Should be easy ti check on their website if you don't have the paperwork handy.

Paul
                          Wild Horses 4-Wheel Drive
                          www.wildhorses4x4.com

71 U15 3.5" WH lift, Hanson rear, cut w/33" Swamper Thornbirds
                          68 U15 2.5" WH lift, Hanson front, uncut w/31 BFG Explorer engine/trans

Comment

Originally posted by tortuga View Post
                            In the future, it is sufficient to say " thanks guys, I figured it out". We all know that means you figured out something was empty, loose, too tight, or missing but it is more dignified.

I liked the first one better. I use it regularly.

(thread from the dead)

Comment

Working...
                            X