Power steering box choice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power steering box choice

So here's my question and my problem. I currently have the F100 steering box conversion. The previous owner built up and welded a bombproof mount under the frame that is welded to the bottom of the frame and up the driver side exterior of the frame. I've had no issues with the steering box nor have I ever hit aything with it while crawling (thank god). A buddy just gave me a 4x4x2 box that he built and coated with por15. Are the 4x4x2 boxes that much better than the F100's? I know they are shorter which would be nice. I have already pulled the axle and taken the entire front end apart due to the tracking bar mount comming loose and cracking my frame so I already have to do some grinding and welding. Should I grind off the mount for the box as well and put in the 4x4x2? Wont wlding in an area that has been heated up by prior welds make the area more prone to cracking? I am excited I broke the tracking bar because it gives me an excuse to pull the axle and put on the Duff arms and 5.5" coils and a bunch of other upgrades I've been sitting on. Thanks for any advice

Russ
    1969 351W, Np435-NP205 5.5"FRNT 5.5"Rear 2"Body, Geared 4.10 Locked, 35" BFG's

Re: Power steering box choice

4x4x2 box has larger and shorter sector shaft then the F100 box.
    I'd swap it out.
    Mark Harris
    71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

Since you're already doing all the fab/ upgrade in that general area, I'm with Mark. Swap it. I run the 4x4x2 on the 69, will run one on the 68 and I even have a spare that will find it's way into my tool box for the trail.
      sigpicRoad trips on an island get boring after the 1st lap...

Comment

So whats the consensus on the best way to instal the 4x4x2? There's a few articles out there but most concentrate on the guts swap. The one i liked was on the classic broncos forum where the guy use the forward most stock hole and drilled out and inserted DOM in the rest. I have the WCB 3/4 monster plate my buddy gave me with the 4x4x2 box but I'm not sure I wanna use it.

Comment

Originally posted by EL Rojo View Post
          So whats the consensus on the best way to instal the 4x4x2? There's a few articles out there but most concentrate on the guts swap. The one i liked was on the classic broncos forum where the guy use the forward most stock hole and drilled out and inserted DOM in the rest. I have the WCB 3/4 monster plate my buddy gave me with the 4x4x2 box but I'm not sure I wanna use it.
          I used the reinforcement kit from BC cause it was cheap. That 3/4" plate should work fine as well and I know guys that run'em. I question using the stock spacers inside the frame though as they're pretty weak & I think the WCB 3/4" plate retains those? You can always knock the stock spacers out, cut your own DOM for the inside of the frame then bolt that monster plate on. The weld-on plate and DOM works great and is easy to install.

Comment

4x4x2 box for sure.

Post a picture of your mounting system for your super impose your WCB plate.

Either way you have to use plate, whether your existing one ( which sounds like it wraps completely around the frame) or the WCB. The DOM goes inside the frame; you don't drill larger holes to accommodate.
            72' in pieces and piles of awesomeness

Comment

I took pics last night before I called it quits. I'm at wk for 2 days so I will post them when I get home. As far as the mounting of the 4x4x2 in the article I read the guy knocked out the old spacers and slid DOM in from the front but had drilled out his holes a bit bigger and welded the DOM and ground the frame smooth. Sounds like a good plan to me. I've got a bunch of 1/4" plate so Ill probably make my own. Time to fire up the plasma cutter.
              Any worries about fatigue on the frame with all the welding. I'm gonna box in where it's cracked already, so I may carry it forward. Should be fun!

thanks for the info and opinions

Comment

http://www.norcalbroncos.com/forum/s...&postcount=218
                {o===o}
                Originally posted by TBS-POPS
                EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....
                Originally posted by CityHick
                I don't give probabilities in percentage format anymore

Comment

He already has that. OP mentions WCB plate.

You've got the right idea on the DOM. I thought you were gonna punch 7/8" holes in your frame. Welding them in is not necessary, but won't hurt. I can't speak about removal of your old bracket, until I see how it's welded to your frame.
                  72' in pieces and piles of awesomeness

Comment

My suggestion is to box the entire front section of the frame, especially since you've had a crack there already. Box it inside and out with some 3/16" plate and you'll be in good shape.

Of the two steering boxes for the reasons stated, run the 4x4x2 box. But what do I know, I still run an EB power steering box
                    1970 Bronco
                    My build thread

Comment

4x4x2 box rocks!

I bought the adapter. From BC if i remember correctly. Also you will note the grade 5 bolts in the pics. Yeah those all snapped on the con one trip... Run grade 8 and keep them tight!

Last edited by dblue351; 03-01-2011, 12:09 PM.
                      WT 4x4
                      91' One Ton Bronco
                      1971 Bronco
                      9/11/01 Never Forget

Comment

Trail- He said he has the WCB 3/4 plate thing that Dave is running. Im just not a a fan of that

Since he has a plasma and some extra 1/4 flat steel, there the template.
                        {o===o}
                        EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....

Comment

Originally posted by dblue351 View Post
                          4x4x2 box rocks!

I bought the adapter. From BC if i remember correctly. Also you will note the grade 5 bolts in the pics. Yeah those all snapped on the con one trip... Run grade 8 and keep them tight!

That right there be the WCB 3/4" adapter plate. Good illustrations on how that goes on as that's what he's got already.

Comment

Hey guys thanks again. I'm lookin forward to digging into it. I have no legit reason why i don't want to use the 3/4" plate other than i don't like it. I am planning on boxing in most of the frame from the coil tower forward. Just orded the new Duff coil cups, i hope I don't get them and think "I coulda F@$#in made these." Thanks for the PDF file with the bracket. That is gonna help.

Comment

Originally posted by EL Rojo View Post
                              I have no legit reason why i don't want to use the 3/4" plate other than i don't like it.
                              Im not a fan of it but people run it and have no problems. It just seems to me like it adds more torsional force to the frame. But because it is not welded, It is allowed to move.
                              {o===o}

Comment

Working...
                              X