New. building my 4" strech.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New. building my 4" strech.

For starters my build is a 68 thats main purpose is a trail capable show truck. I am a painter by trade & have built several people award winning show cars & now its my turn. Its time to get cut'n grind'n & weld'n for Me.
    I knew I was going to replace to 1/4s any way so first thing, off with the lower 1/4s to get access to the factory spot welds for the inner tubs. On my Bronco somenoe had installed the extreme rear shock hoop & thats just not for me. I have a wife & 2 kids plus our favorite Aunt Stacer that is always with me, So I need the room in side.
    My plan is replace the front of the tubs with used ones from Glenn in Fallon NV, & move the rear of the exsiting ones back 4". I cut the "new" ones 1 1/2''
    behind the tall part of the rear rib,& the exsisting ones 4" in front of that. I left the original front tank filler cover to make a littel less work.
    So far I have about 6 hours in to it & everthing is removed & the driver side is mocked in to place. By drilling out the spot welds & doing it this way I am able to sand blast the pinch weld area free of rust & my job will look factory.
    I will post more pics after I am all done.
    Attached Files

Re: New. building my 4" strech.

Looks like fun. Welcome to the land of wanting a little extra room. There are 3 of us that I know of here all looking at stretching some. Glenn is a nice guy we have traded a lot of parts. Good luck I will have to watch how this progresses.

Comment

Looking great. If you are going full width on the axles you can narrow up your rear wheel tubs about three inches per side to gain more room inside also. Just a thought.
      Marc D.
      If you drive with rage, drive a cage.

Comment

Originally posted by kawikevin250 View Post
        I will post more pics after I am all done.
        Why wait till you are all done Made this your build thread and post as you go. Welcome to the site. And it looks good so far.
        Originally posted by TBS-POPS
        After a huge amount of reflection, I have determined that what I saw in ukiah was in fact Brians bronco. I was also informed by my wife that she infact heard it run!!

Comment

looks good kevin did the new quarters look good? bring them to wrk tomarw

Comment

Has anyone on here narrowed there inner wheel tubs? Can I go 4"s on both sides & use a 48" rear bench? Or an I going to just be hitting the tubs as soon as I flex? I am running 37x12.50r18s on 18x10 rims & 2 or 3 1/2" of back spacing, I can't remember rite now.

Comment

My guess would be that 4" on both sides won't work.

With 35x12.5 tires on 8" rims - 3.5 lift - I rubbed on the rear wells. Granted this was probably at full stuff and might not have limited things much, hard to say.

Best bet might be to mock it up and cycle the rear end to see what happens. If you got 3" out of each side that would be a win.

Comment

.....Has anyone on here narrowed there inner wheel tubs? Can I go 4"s on both sides & use a 48" rear bench? Or an I going to just be hitting the tubs as soon as I flex? I am running 37x12.50r18s on 18x10 rims & 2 or 3 1/2" of back spacing, I can't remember rite now.....
                FamilyMan narrowed his rear inner fender wells to run a wider rear seat, and I've got his old tub down in my shop. I'll measure between them for you tomorrow. He had 40" MTR's (I'm not sure about the b/s on his wheels) on a full width D60.
                Originally posted by 71BRONCO71 at Buck Island 6/25/11
                I can do that so much better myself..........1, 2, 3 GOODNIGHT!!!

Comment

I could probably get away with 2 inches on each side before i get into the fender.

Im running 3.5, 2"BL stock rear width and 3.75bs
                  {o===o}
                  Originally posted by TBS-POPS
                  EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....
                  Originally posted by CityHick
                  I don't give probabilities in percentage format anymore

Comment

I just measured FM's tub, and it's 47 5/8" between (what's left of the) fender wells.
                    Originally posted by 71BRONCO71 at Buck Island 6/25/11
                    I can do that so much better myself..........1, 2, 3 GOODNIGHT!!!

Comment

Thanks alot guys. I just got home & got my new 9" in the back of the truck to go ahead & mock it up & cycle it first. It shure is reasuring to hear about the danm near 48" wide tub. I'll keep you posted. If I can go with it I'll be calling Jim @ Wild Horses tomorrow for a new rear floor pan that I can cut up & make my 4" extras on the sides.
                      Kevin

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0037.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	513.1 KB
ID:	264093

Name:	IMAG0035.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	521.5 KB
ID:	264094

Name:	IMAG0036.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	503.5 KB
ID:	264095I have a quick up date. The driver side is all done but the grinding & floor patch. Heres a pic of how I plan on keeping the roll bar mounted in the same spot in the back.
                        Just thought I would share.

Comment

Looks great. Are you going to run a fuel cell or push the tank back?
                          1969 351W, Np435-NP205 5.5"FRNT 5.5"Rear 2"Body, Geared 4.10 Locked, 35" BFG's

Comment

I am running a 23 gallon tank I have cut & moved the filler neck as far back as I could. If you look close at the pic of the inside of the 1/4 youcan see where it will run up the 1/4 & look factory.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by kawikevin250 View Post
                              I am running a 23 gallon tank I have cut & moved the filler neck as far back as I could. If you look close at the pic of the inside of the 1/4 youcan see where it will run up the 1/4 & look factory.

Nice!
                              1969 351W, Np435-NP205 5.5"FRNT 5.5"Rear 2"Body, Geared 4.10 Locked, 35" BFG's

Comment

Working...
                              X