New. building my 4" strech.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New. building my 4" strech.

... I was always wondering what a longer wheel base Bronco would look like, a little more proportionate, I always thought they look to short in the back, compared to the front, kin of make it look like the later Scouts, Just a few inches longer?
    (O===O) "Rick" (O===O)

Comment

Originally posted by Rickster71 View Post
      ... I was always wondering what a longer wheel base Bronco would look like, a little more proportionate, I always thought they look to short in the back, compared to the front, kin of make it look like the later Scouts, Just a few inches longer?
      Look at just about any build thread on here and your bound to see a front and rear stretch... Some of these guys have gone crazy and they look damn good to. One day I'll get the nerve to do it to..
      75 sport 302 c4 full width 44 front 9 rear let the building begin

Comment

Does your tank fit up tight to your body? I cut the "Front" bump out off my new tank and was able to push my tank up 3 inches to touch the tub. Much better ground clearence...And since your already cutting and welding...this would be a good time to do that....you only loose about 2 gal of capacity. Just a thought!!!
        Last edited by slvregl; 04-08-2011, 07:09 AM. Reason: spelling
        70 Bronco, 5.0, ARB front 44, Detroit 9in Rear, Dana 20 w/ Rock Eaters, NP435, Beadlocked 36X13.5 IROXS

2001 F-250, triple gauges, ATO Tranny, 35 SST's, line-x, bully dogged!

Comment

Here is a quick update. I am done with all the sheetmetal work I can do untill it goes out for sand blasting, epoxy primer, my new lower quarter panels then interior 7 wheel well spray in bed liner. I'm going to wait till Glenn in Fallon has time to do my sand blasting so while I wait I am going to do my full width axle swap & AOD swap. I'll post pics of all that later.
          Attached Files

Comment

maybe I should have checked my own update before hitting quick reply. The 7 should have been an &.

Comment

Well my last post was in April. Believe it or not I have finally done something to my Bronco. 2 babys & a busy job really hurts my Bronco time.
              I got my new spring hangers from J.B.G. first thing I did was measure how far apart my old ones were so to be sure the new ones would be that to. Then I atatched my angle finder to my long straight edge & set it up from center to center of both front & back bolt holes so they would be the same. The easyest thing I found was to use a small straight dowle 4" long & set it up at the center of the bolt hole & at the rite angle so I had a quick ref without having to hold a measuring tape & tack weld at the same time.
              Attached Files

Comment

Now that I have new hangers I reinstaled my 11 leaf pack from Wild Horses. Then the tape came back out & I found center on the new 79 Bronco 9" build for me by Sam @ samco fab here in Reno. 4:88 gears & a true track to keep it easly streetable. I found center between the frame rails & dropped a plumb bob. Now that I'm back on the ground for the first time in a year I am finaly feeling good again.
                The thing I don't know is, What is the max pinion angle I can weld my new perchs at to get as straight a drive line angle as possible?
                MAN!! it feels good to see progress!!!
                Attached Files

Comment

So here it is 4" added to the rear of the wheelbase. I think it sits nice in the new wheel tubs.
                  Attached Files

Comment

I have also found time to install new freshened up AOD & all new rebuilt dana 20, Thanks to dave @ D&D transmisions here in Reno. I also got my new steering columb in, just not hooked up to anything yet.
                    Next for me is get the front matching 79 Bronco hp 44 in.

Comment

Looks good!

Did you have any problems with the gas tank?
                      {o===o}
                      Originally posted by TBS-POPS
                      EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....
                      Originally posted by CityHick
                      I don't give probabilities in percentage format anymore

Comment

Oh ya, The gas tank. I guess thats more next than the frint axle. I did already modify it so it will set in the factory spot withe the filler neck back 4"s & running up the factory spacing in the wheel tub. Now it will come out from the tank , run in the rear bed brace then up. When I have the tank in I'll get better pics & show you how I did it.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by kawikevin250 View Post
                          When I have the tank in I'll get better pics & show you how I did it.
                          Please do! Looking at pushing my ass end back as far as I can too and wondering how the tank is gonna fair.
                          sigpicRoad trips on an island get boring after the 1st lap...

Comment

I've been wanting to shove my rear axle back 3-4 inches. The more knowledge I can read about, the easier it will be.
                            I guess my question was, does your center section hit the tank or did you notch it?
                            {o===o}
                            Originally posted by TBS-POPS
                            EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....
                            Originally posted by CityHick
                            I don't give probabilities in percentage format anymore

Comment

It's been 9 years since I moved mine back 3", but I remember the cross member infront of the tank was removed.
                              Marc D.
                              If you drive with rage, drive a cage.

Comment

I haven't yet checked for clearances on the rear crossmember but I will & post it when I do.

Comment

Working...
                                X