Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is my power steering pump capable of HB?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is my power steering pump capable of HB?

Hello, while I'm still searching for a 4R70W for my trans swap, I figured I'd look into this. I would like to put hydroboost system on my Bronco. About 8 years ago someone put in an AGR power steering system. How can I tell if it is capable of running hydroboost? Sorry this might be a dumb question with a simple answer, but I've never seen one in person and don't know what to look for. I don't think it is as it should have two more lines somewhere and I'm assuming they don't go where those bolts are correct?

It looks like this:

Thanks.
    Last edited by FSD; 03-21-2011, 09:54 PM.

Re: Is my power steering pump capable of HB?

that pump should be able to handle h/b as it is the same design used by gm. the pressure lines are plumbed in series on the factory setup,and i like a dual return myself. some of the pump res. cans had 2 returns in them. the mystery of pressure/flow can only checked with a flow meter or trial and m.f error. i have the press/flow h/b requirements for the astro h/b at home. if you can find out the numbers on your pump p.m. me.
    6 jeeps 2a-cj5. bronco now. 70,efi 302,c4,ps,pb, 4.56's detroit's 2bl,4.5 rollin on 37's

Comment

I would say yes... You would need to put a tee in the return side for the pressure return from the HB unit.
      2002 F250 Superduty, 7.3 241,500 miles and counting
      1979 Bronco, 351M,NP435,4:11's on 33's
      2016 Race Red Shelby GT350

Comment

Originally posted by 904Bronco View Post
        I would say yes... You would need to put a tee in the return side for the pressure return from the HB unit.
        X2. That pump should be fine. The "T" fitting on the return should fine, but a better way to do it is to get a dual return can for your pump. Some HB units don't like the back pressure that the "T" causes. The dual return pump can provides a smoother fluid flow back to the pump.

You are welcome to come over and check mine out if you want. I'd drive it over to you, but I need to install a new water pump before it goes anywhere.

Comment

Thank you guys. So, this pump will work and I just need to tap into both lines is what you guys are saying? Where can I get a dual return can, it seems to be all one piece or does it all come a part and then go inside of another can? How do you guys tap into the high pressure side?

On a side note this pump is loud and whines a lot, is that normal?

Thanks!

Comment

the can comes off by removing the studs and press port fittings. thencarefully pry it off. you can make yours dual return yourself or a rad shop can
            Last edited by Fordfreak; 03-24-2011, 10:43 AM.
            6 jeeps 2a-cj5. bronco now. 70,efi 302,c4,ps,pb, 4.56's detroit's 2bl,4.5 rollin on 37's

Comment

I would try the "T" on the return line before taking it apart and adding a return port. I have the Saginaw pump plumbed with a tee and it's working great. The return from the box gets the straight port on the "T", and the return from the booster gets the 90*port. The booster returns very little fluid when braking.
              Explorer 5.0 OBDII

Comment

Sorry guys, I'm not following. I understand that you put a "T" into the return line so both the power steering box and the hydroboost unit can return at the same time back to the pump. What do I do with the high pressure line? Does that get a "T" or "Y" or do I have to add a port fitting like Fordfreak said? Thanks for the help.

Comment

The hydro boost unit has three ports.
                  1. High pressure in (from the pump)
                  2. High pressure out (to the box)
                  3. Return (low pressure to the pump)
                  Explorer 5.0 OBDII

Comment

Ah, I think I got it now, thank you. So, you run the high pressure in series and then the returns for the HB and box "T" together for one return into the pump. Do I need to angle it or need anything else? A guy on CB is selling Astro van HB's, any year I should ask for or is there a different HB unit you guys recommend? My uncle has a 1990 Lincoln Mark VII sitting at his house, could something off that possibly work? Thanks.

Comment

The reason the Astro hydro boost units are popular is because they are so plentiful at the U-pick yards. I would think the newer the unit the less chance of there being a problem. As for mounting, you don't have to use an angle bracket, but to clear EFI plenums it certainly helps. The E-bay bracket kit makes the installation very simple and will save you a weekends worth of time. Another reason for using the Astro unit over another type.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/early...mZ160561595111
                      Explorer 5.0 OBDII

Comment

Ok, so I buy that on ebay, get an Astro HB (thinking of going to Napa and just getting one, what year?), and what else do I need? I need a master cylinder and the "T" or "Y" fitting and I'm not sure on what one's of those to get or where. I need to replace my MC and the lines brake lines under the hood as they are in bad shape, do I just get some SS braided lines and run them? Thanks again for the help guys.

Comment

Originally posted by garberz View Post
                          The reason the Astro hydro boost units are popular is because they are so plentiful at the U-pick yards. I would think the newer the unit the less chance of there being a problem. As for mounting, you don't have to use an angle bracket, but to clear EFI plenums it certainly helps. The E-bay bracket kit makes the installation very simple and will save you a weekends worth of time. Another reason for using the Astro unit over another type.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/early...mZ160561595111
                          Good Luck on an ebay unit. I bought one several years ago and after a period of time installed it. It leaked, but the seller said too much time had passed and he'd not warranty it. I have manual brakes that'll stop on a dime. I don't have to worry about engine power. The rear brakes are normal Bronco, the front disc are the T-bird brake conversion talked about on Classic broncos. Mine was really from a full size LTD in about the early 70's. I'm told that the one piston is larger than a dual piston one ton caliper. Just mho
                          Dana 44 w/ ox locker, yukon axles, T-bird disc brakes. TBI 351 W, Saginaw p.s. & rock ram steering assist and F150 steering gear box. Manual dual chamber master cylinder. AOD with supercoupe 1st & 2nd gear. The t-case(S) are a 203/205 combo. Rear diff 5.13 detroit locked tru hi 9" with 35 spline axles in a big bearing housing. Suspension is a 5.5" lift with a one inch body lift. Inside two radios are CB and Ham radio (KI6CYF).

Comment

Cool, thanks for the heads up, but I'm going to get a reman unit or new unit local. That link was only for the bracket only.

Comment

Any updates?

I am in the process of putting this project together and installing hydro boost.
                              What can I fix next?

Comment

Working...
                              X