X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Steering Test Fit

I got my new steering kit today.

Here are some pics of the test fit.

Does anybody see anything that is concerning or out of place?

The lines are confusing me. I don't know if the high preesure line into the box is the big hole or small hole?
    Attached Files

Just make sure you completely weld the bracket to the frame. Plate the frame up to the bracket with 1/4" plate if you want as well. THis is a real weak point ont hese rigs. I have seen boxes rip completely off of the frame. Everything else looks PIMP YO
    “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

You need to change your pitman arm. The drag link should be parrell with the trac bar. This may also require you to change the drop bracket to a different type. I would recommend using a P/S filter on your return line.. Otherwise the only weird thing that I see it that your box is to clean... no greasy finger prints on it... lol
      70 Bronco with extras; 351W TBI,C-4, D20, HP44 locked w/ 4.56, locked 9" w/31spline, 35 tires, pb 4w-disc, on a 5.5 lift with WAH and Rockers.

Comment

Originally posted by mtnbronco
        You need to change your pitman arm. The drag link should be parrell with the trac bar. This may also require you to change the drop bracket to a different type. I would recommend using a P/S filter on your return line.. Otherwise the only weird thing that I see it that your box is to clean... no greasy finger prints on it... lol
        I agree, he will have a small bit of bump steer. Because of the lack of movement in the steering heims on the tie rod, I would suggest that instead of raising the tie rod with a flat pitman arm, he gets the WH track bar riser. It is a good 75 bucks spent.
        “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

The small port towards the front of the EB is the high pressure line and the larger port is the return line. I know you are trying to just get it on the road for your Dusy run, but for a good long term plan I would ditch the drop pitman arm and the trac bar drop bracket and go with a trac bar riser on the axle. Like Delta said, the WH riser is a nice a piece or you can just fab up your own. I fabbed my own and I also plated the inside and outside of my frame with some 3/8 plate because this is a notoriously weak spot on our frames when we start turning big ol' tires aired down on rocks.

Here is what your new steering system will look like!
          Attached Files

Comment

looks good...I think crawlin68 is giving you some great advise.....
            69 bronco, 72 bronco, 66 vert stang

Comment

I agree with the other guys. Lose the drop pitman arm and track bar, and go with the flat pitman arm and raise the track bar off the axle.

Comment

My issue is that most heims don't have enough misalignment for the tie rod to be at that much of an angl especially when the driver's side drops and the passenger compresses. This is what I would do. Build a new drop track bar bracket on the frame with some 2x5 1/4 inch tubing. Get the riser from WH and do the rest yourself. Besides, the more horizontal the trackbar and tie rod, the better the steering feel and the less stress on the steering components.
                Attached Files

Comment

I like that idea, might have to look into that when I put the full width in as I was thinking of using the high steer capability of my flat top knuckles?

I SWEAR, I learn more about my EB here than most other sites! THANKS GUYS!

Comment

No, No, No....don't listen to Delta. This is how you should do it!
                    Attached Files

Comment

Dude, ive got to do that to my bronco!!
                      --'73 Bronco----302, 3 spd, D44, 9", Tru-tracs, Twin sticks, 5.5" National Soft ride coils, F-100 pwr steering, 35x12.50's, tilt column, hurst shifter

Comment

No, No, No....don't listen to Delta. This is how you should do it!

I know I have seen it before but it is still great to see it again
                        72EB, one-ton fab project that will never end

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
                        1 Cor 16:13-14

Comment

DAMN Patrick, can always make me spill my rum and cokes!

Comment

that is the best way to eliminate bump steer.

by the way.... is that the new 12 link suspension everyone is talking about?
                            69 bronco, 72 bronco, 66 vert stang

Comment

Now Thats Funny!!!!

Aaron
                              KK6DAD
                              70 Miles to the Rubicon!

Comment

Working...
                              X