Driver's window fix needed...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driver's window fix needed...

So I rolled the window down on the 77 as I got off the freeway Tuesday and KLUNK went the glass.

The glass has separated / bond failed from / with the metal plate. What is the fix?

Pull both and take them to a glass shop and have the bonding stuff replaced?

Doug
    2002 F250 Superduty, 7.3 241,500 miles and counting
    1979 Bronco, 351M,NP435,4:11's on 33's
    2016 Race Red Shelby GT350

Re: Driver's window fix needed...

Silicone

FF's.... Geez
    {o===o}
    Originally posted by TBS-POPS
    EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....
    Originally posted by CityHick
    I don't give probabilities in percentage format anymore

Comment

Blue RTV is what I have used also.
      Marc D.
      If you drive with rage, drive a cage.

Comment

There is actually a special two sided adhesive tape made for that purpose. Glass shops have it and it is what is used by the factory. Silicone would probably do the trick too though.
        1970 Bronco
        My build thread

Comment

Or 3M gorilla snot in channel, roll up window to seat in the trac and let sit for a day. best thing to do though is take them both out as you said and let the glass shop reseat them.
          72 sport/exp.,TBI 302,NP435,4.56 Powrlok/ARB in Full Width's.5.5" CAGE lift w/arms,2'' bl,37's, rescued from the concrete jungle (L.A.) NEVER DONE!!! Sold to buy a Boat, Now Broncoless.....Now it's fast water,smooth women and cold beer!! toad jeep owner now,,,,,, sorry

ALL MY DRINKING BUDDIES HAVE A SEVERE BRONCO PROBLEM !!!

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71
          BULLSHIT! I love your meat in my mouth
          RIP MARK BECK RIP MY FRIEND! RIP GIZMO,My little Buddy.

Comment

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71 View Post
            Silicone

FF's.... Geez
            Thank you for the comments... I prefer to do it the correct way (type A way), not a patch. Because that is what I have now that has failed... So I guess I will pop it out and then clean up the all the RTV... Then I will see the man at the Glass shop.
            Last edited by 904Bronco; 05-13-2011, 10:36 PM.

Comment

In the mustangs I used to have, a two part epoxy like what is used for the rear view mirror was used in the channel (glass shop), then roll up for the night.
              68 Slightly modified
              67 LUBR once again
              61 Willy Wagon

Comment

I had this problem with my first Bronco (a 74) I just bought on Friday (this, actually, is my first post on any Bronco forum!). I had to open up the door panel and reseat the plastic bearing that ran the track of the lifter arm. As it stands, no local auto parts had a replacement of the small blue bearing, so as it was just cracked, I rotated it and resat the glass on the railing. Probably not a permanent fix, but semi-permanent until, at least, I can find that bearing. Open to hearing where I might grab one, though....

Comment

Originally posted by Godwit View Post
                  I had this problem with my first Bronco (a 74) I just bought on Friday (this, actually, is my first post on any Bronco forum!). I had to open up the door panel and reseat the plastic bearing that ran the track of the lifter arm. As it stands, no local auto parts had a replacement of the small blue bearing, so as it was just cracked, I rotated it and resat the glass on the railing. Probably not a permanent fix, but semi-permanent until, at least, I can find that bearing. Open to hearing where I might grab one, though....
                  Welcome and Congrats on your 1st post...

Blue bearing, do you mean the plastic bushing with the metal retaining clip? Wild Horses has them in Stockton....

You might find it in the "Help" line at some of the better parts stores.

Doug

Comment

...what Doug said. You will find that parts stores are a dead end for oddball parts like that. They'll look at you quizzically and mumble things about parts for vehicles that old having been out of production for decades, not in their computers, etc. Whereas Bronco houses like Wild Horses in Stockton have them in stock. You can pretty much build a complete steel Bronco body from new metal now. There are more parts available for these trucks now than there were 15 years ago when I bought mine.
                    1970, Exploder 5.0 with P heads, EEC-IV EDIS, lots of wiring.

Originally posted by CityHick
                    I suddenly feel rich and feel the need to dump more cash into my Bronco.

Comment

So I pulled the door apart to get the glass out and cleaned all the crap out of the glass holder.

It is at a friends Body shop to get the glass remounted in the holder.

Comment

Originally posted by 904Bronco View Post
                        So I pulled the door apart to get the glass out and cleaned all the crap out of the glass holder.

It is at a friends Body shop to get the glass remounted in the holder.
                        The same shop that had your top???? will you get it back this year???
                        72 sport/exp.,TBI 302,NP435,4.56 Powrlok/ARB in Full Width's.5.5" CAGE lift w/arms,2'' bl,37's, rescued from the concrete jungle (L.A.) NEVER DONE!!! Sold to buy a Boat, Now Broncoless.....Now it's fast water,smooth women and cold beer!! toad jeep owner now,,,,,, sorry

ALL MY DRINKING BUDDIES HAVE A SEVERE BRONCO PROBLEM !!!

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71
                        BULLSHIT! I love your meat in my mouth
                        RIP MARK BECK RIP MY FRIEND! RIP GIZMO,My little Buddy.

Comment

I have found that part at the local Ford dealer. This was back when the parts guy would actually take the time to look up the part number in the microfiche. Nowadays, if it's not in the computer they don't want to deal with it.

Comment

Originally posted by TBS-POPS View Post
                            The same shop that had your top???? will you get it back this year???
                            Yes and yes... It is one of their retired buddies who did 30 yrs in the auto glass business. He comes by their shop often and works on their outlaw drag car. I have him on the hook to do my windshield when that gets delivered!

Comment

I hope you can afford their labor cost......

Originally posted by 904Bronco View Post
                              Yes and yes... It is one of their retired buddies who did 30 yrs in the auto glass business. He comes by their shop often and works on their outlaw drag car. I have him on the hook to do my windshield when that gets delivered!
                              69, 7" lift,D-44 with air locker, 9" 35 spl full floater with a locker, 4-wheel disc, custom paint, one off custom mods, Hanson bumpers and side protection, 35's on Champion beadlocks.

Comment

Working...
                              X