engine runs weird

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• engine runs weird

My oil pump shaft recently bent and fell in to the oil pan. I replaced it and inspected the dizzy gear, which look ok. When my engine runs it jolt in rhythm with the firing order (1jolt, 2jolts, 1, 2, etc). Could the dizzy or cam have messed up gears? Or is this an ignition issue? The oil pressure. Stays constant and the is no grinding sounds. If you put your hand on the block it feels like someone is hitting it with a hammer in the above order.
    1970 Bronco 302 np435 3.5 lift 33s disc brakes ford 9 w Yukon locker

Re: engine runs weird

Sounds like Mis-fire to me.
    “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

Found the num7 wire to be bad. When I replaced the wires I discovered the wire were installed 180 off. I put num 1 at tdc, reinstalled the dizzy, and now it won't start.

Comment

http://boxwrench.net/specs/ford_289_302-5.0.htm

Later 302/5.0 use the 351 F.O. (1985-1996)

http://boxwrench.net/specs/ford_302_351W.htm
        Last edited by Daddy4zack; 06-14-2011, 05:15 PM.
        KK6DAD
        70 Miles to the Rubicon!

Comment

Originally posted by jperry1290 View Post
          Found the num7 wire to be bad. When I replaced the wires I discovered the wire were installed 180 off. I put num 1 at tdc, reinstalled the dizzy, and now it won't start.
          Dizzy goes counter clockwise...you know that right?

(1542-6378 early 1372-6548 late roller and 351 )and set the rotor about 15-20 degrees in front of number one. If it wont start, and you are sure your firing order is correct, slowly move the dizzy back and forth a little while cranking. If it doesnt fire, you need to re look art firing order. If thats correct, look for a 12v wire you may have knocked off or something easy.
          “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

great link. my haynes book has the same firing order, hoping its a simple fix.

Comment

Working...
            X