Engine Works aluminum heads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Works aluminum heads

Anybody here ever deal with Engine Works aluminum heads for small block ford V8s? They sell on EBAY for $500-600 and claim to flow as well as AFR and others.

This is a general question - not looking at these for my Bronco but rather for a hot rod someone I know is building. Any feedback good, bad, or otherwise is appreciated. I've googled them to death and found very little information online other than some vague, unanswered forum questions on the various mustang sites. I am certain this is a "get what you pay for" scenario but some hard data would be good...
    1970 Bronco
    My build thread

Re: Engine Works aluminum heads

They are probably the pro-comps just rebadged. I put a set of cleaned up pro-comps (engine shop buys the bare heads and builds and sells them) on the rebuild for my uncut. Haven't fired it up yet but they looked good.

Thats how I rub...I mean roll!

Comment

It seems like the price might have even gone down:
      http://www.ebay.com/itm/230718207139...84.m1436.l2649

AT $450 delivered it is cheaper to buy a new set of aluminum heads than to rebuild a set of iron ones. I can't imagine they are as good as AFR or edelbrock, but for the price..............
      Build thread

Comment

Like PDX says, they are Chinese "pro-comp" heads. They are boxing them any way you want. I would not run them without taking them to a good head shop and let them go through them.
        I've seen poor and porous castings, bolt holes in the wrong place and/or at the wrong angles etc.... but some are fine.

Comment

Glad to see a few more responses here, thanks guys. I was asking about these for my dad actually, he's got a 38 Ford pickup street rod project and he ended up buying a set of these. They look pretty bolted to his 302 but no real world testing yet - hasn't even fired the motor with them on. I hope they work out for him, and I'll update this thread once I get up there to take some pix and hopefully hear the motor fire and/or drive the thing. Might be a while though... body is back off the frame, probably won't go back on until after paint, etc.
          1970 Bronco
          My build thread

Comment

I should be firing mine up finally this spring!

Thats how I rub...I mean roll!

Comment

There is probably nothing wrong with the heads. But as soon as I got them, I would have a machine shop check them out. Ie check the deck and make sure the valve train is in order.
              72' in pieces and piles of awesomeness

Comment

They will probably be fine for a mild engine(ie: stock or crawler setup). But I don't think I'd run them on something I was expecting over 400 ponies from... It's my experience that sometimes going the cheap route can actually cost more because you may end up replacing a cheaper part later with what you should have bought in the first place...
                SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

Working...
                X