M*&%er f*#!$in heater hose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M*&%er f*#!$in heater hose

Ok am I on crack or what? Why in the hell would Ford design the heater core inlet and outlet to end right next to the inner fender wall? I've looked everywhere for a Pre Formed heater hose so that I can make that hard angle and NOBODY sells one. Yea Yea I know I can use a straight hose but it f*#ken kinks. Tried one of the those slip over wire forms that you bend to what ever angle you want. Oh yea those work great too.NOT!! What a stupid design. Best thing I could do is cut the tubes a little shorter so that I have some bending room for the tubing to flex. What a dumb design though. Does this bother anyone else or am I the only anal retentive one?
    sigpic68' 351W ,Nothing stock except transfer case:

Re: M*&%er f*#!$in heater hose

Ford designers were on crack for at least half of the 60s (or maybe since it was the 60s, LSD). That heater hose pass through is extremely dumb. Summit and other retailers focused on the hot rod industry do however sell angled heater hose bulkheads that do work decently. I did use el cheapo goodyear bulk heater hose for mine, passed the hose through some grommets I found and my hose is not kinked, but I've never liked the way they pass through. I will do a redesign of that system one day when it pisses me off enough.
    1970 Bronco
    My build thread

Comment

The explorer hose is a 90* I believe, see if the parts dude will let you in the back to shop around to find one with a good bend, they typically will.

Thats how I rub...I mean roll!

Comment

Originally posted by PDXBronco View Post
        The explorer hose is a 90* I believe, see if the parts dude will let you in the back to shop around to find one with a good bend, they typically will.
        X's2 Talk to the counter guys and just tell them what your doing and 9 out of 10 x's they will just let you go look..
        75 sport 302 c4 full width 44 front 9 rear let the building begin

Comment

Well the last 3 out of 4 times ive been to the counter I've ended up with the dullard who doesn't know what a 3/8-24 inverted flange nut for a 3/16 hard brake line is. Now I've just told him EXACTLY what I wanted, far from me looking through his parts shelves myself and basiclly doing HIS JOB for him.........uuugghhhh Ya I'm ready to get this thing rolling and done with all the little bullshit. I'M CLOSE. You guys get the idea and all have similar stories I'm sure. I'll try the Explorer hose, thanks for the tip. Any paticular year I should ask for?

Comment

Gates molded heater hose

GAT28466 (10" long hose, 5/8 id, with 90 degree bend)

GAT28467 (16" long hose, 5/8 id, with 90 degree bend)

GAT28470 (28" long hose, 5/8 id, with 90 degree bend)

Punch the numbers into Google for more info... If the auto parts shop is worth a shit, then these things should all be hanging together on the rack. Napa can cross the #s over too... I believe that there is one shorter and one longer but did not pull up the numbers

Doug
            Last edited by 904Bronco; 08-29-2011, 07:08 PM.
            2002 F250 Superduty, 7.3 241,500 miles and counting
            1979 Bronco, 351M,NP435,4:11's on 33's
            2016 Race Red Shelby GT350

Comment

Napa NBH 9807
              71 Bronco
              EFI, ZF, Atlas 4.3, 35" BFG's, Explorer serp, hydroboost, 4 wheel disks, Lars Bars, Protofab bumpers, Warn winch,
              Mastercraft seats.

Build thread

ZF swap

Comment

Napa has a hose with opposing 90 degree bends so it fits the heater core and the shut off valve. I bought one a couple of years ago. I will look tomorrow and see if the number is still on it.

Comment

If your local spot doesn't have them, maybe Placerville Auto Parts would have them? Seems like I remember them being a pretty large store there off the freeway with lots of stuff in the back.
                  Might be wrong, but when I set up a tool display one time a few years ago, they were the big store in the area.
                  All the Riebe's should have them as well of course, but aren't they all still more in the north part of the world from where you are?

Good luck. Most anyone should be able to get those Gates and/or Napa numbers the others gave you. Was even able to find some 90° 1/2" hoses in several different lengths (for the Spitfire) not long ago, by looking on the back wall of a large store hereabouts.

Paul
                  Wild Horses 4-Wheel Drive
                  www.wildhorses4x4.com

71 U15 3.5" WH lift, Hanson rear, cut w/33" Swamper Thornbirds
                  68 U15 2.5" WH lift, Hanson front, uncut w/31 BFG Explorer engine/trans

Comment

Of course, the cool way might be to make the holes in the firewall larger and solder on some AN ends on the tubes. There might be just enough room for some 90° screw-on AN fittings without hitting the fenders.
                    Then you'd also have the niftiest Bronco heater hoses in the neighborhood.

Been meaning to do something like that myself, but since mine aren't kinked (and I don't drive it anyway!), it's been a low priority.

Paul
                    Wild Horses 4-Wheel Drive
                    www.wildhorses4x4.com

71 U15 3.5" WH lift, Hanson rear, cut w/33" Swamper Thornbirds
                    68 U15 2.5" WH lift, Hanson front, uncut w/31 BFG Explorer engine/trans

Comment

How about these sweated on the ends of the heater core:

with these:

Comment

I couldn't read the number on my hose but I think I tracked it down. Napa #NBH 11030
                        Look on line and it bends 90 each direction and it is the same length and diameter. Had to trim the end a little so it fits between the firewall and inner fender well. Hope this helps

Comment

Surprise surprise the store where I got the tard helping me was a Napa store. BUT, with all you guys chiming in I'll go back with a number in hand. I do like the sweated on brass fittings. Even better would be a 45* nipple. I may do that. It won't take much more time and would end the problem once and for all. Good idea and thanks to every one for the help and part numbers.

Comment

Working...
                          X