Lifter Noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lifter Noise

Can anyone describe the difference between lifter noise and an exhaust tap. The noise seems to go away after running 2500 rmp's to work but then after setting at a light the noise comes back. The noise is worse when the 302 is cold but still there after its warmed up just not as bad. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank in advance fellers,

Roy H.
    1967, 302,C4, I DID it Not SOME FRIGGEN SHOP.

Re: Lifter Noise

An exhaust leak sounds like "Tick tick tick tick tick tick" while an lifter sounds like "Tick tick tick tick tick tick"

{o===o}
    Originally posted by TBS-POPS
    EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....
    Originally posted by CityHick
    I don't give probabilities in percentage format anymore

Comment

While typing out the sound won't be helpful, your description sounds like lifters.
      1: if it's cold or it sits the sound is bad
      2: it goes away after running for a while

Sounds like lifters are draining because the little check valves inside are done. And an exhaust leak never goes away no matter what RPM.

Note: I'm sure I'll get yelled at if my diagnosis is unsound and then we will both learn.
      72' in pieces and piles of awesomeness

Comment

Get a stethoscope and start looking around. Exhaust leaks are WAY more common however.
        Mark Harris
        71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

I understand its impossible to tell if its a tick tick vers a Tick Tick or even a tICK tICK over the internet but I do appreciate the help and humor .

I was looking for maybe other symptoms to looks for like oil pressure drop at idle or?...

Again,,I really to appreciate the help fellas.

Roy H.

Comment

How often do you drive it? Because lifters will naturally drain over time if it sits for 6 months.
            72' in pieces and piles of awesomeness

Comment

Usually once a week or so but the last week every day do to the excursion being down with oil leak from hpop o rings and waiting for parts.

Comment

It could be the lifters.
                Whats you idle oil pressure? and max oil pressure?

I run about 40psi idle and 70+ on the freeway
                {o===o}
                Originally posted by TBS-POPS
                EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....
                Originally posted by CityHick
                I don't give probabilities in percentage format anymore

Comment

45 max and 22-28 at idle when warmed up

Comment

Long big screwdriver, handle on ear, other end on valvecover while running. you will hear if it's valve related or not. If it's exhaust, run it at night, hood open no lights. you can see the leaks.
                    72 sport/exp.,TBI 302,NP435,4.56 Powrlok/ARB in Full Width's.5.5" CAGE lift w/arms,2'' bl,37's, rescued from the concrete jungle (L.A.) NEVER DONE!!! Sold to buy a Boat, Now Broncoless.....Now it's fast water,smooth women and cold beer!! toad jeep owner now,,,,,, sorry

ALL MY DRINKING BUDDIES HAVE A SEVERE BRONCO PROBLEM !!!

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71
                    BULLSHIT! I love your meat in my mouth
                    RIP MARK BECK RIP MY FRIEND! RIP GIZMO,My little Buddy.

Comment

Originally posted by TBS-POPS View Post
                      Long big screwdriver, handle on ear, other end on valvecover while running. you will hear if it's valve related or not. If it's exhaust, run it at night, hood open no lights. you can see the leaks.
                      It's only dark enough in valley springs to do that. I hope it isn't what happened to my 351 in moab this year. I had a cam and lifter go bad. Started off ticking and then got worse. I was told it was because I wasn't using oil with zink in it.
                      Marc D.
                      If you drive with rage, drive a cage.

Comment

Originally posted by earlybronco72 View Post
                        I was told it was because I wasn't using oil with zink in it.
                        I think it was just your extremly oversized right foot!!
                        72 sport/exp.,TBI 302,NP435,4.56 Powrlok/ARB in Full Width's.5.5" CAGE lift w/arms,2'' bl,37's, rescued from the concrete jungle (L.A.) NEVER DONE!!! Sold to buy a Boat, Now Broncoless.....Now it's fast water,smooth women and cold beer!! toad jeep owner now,,,,,, sorry

ALL MY DRINKING BUDDIES HAVE A SEVERE BRONCO PROBLEM !!!

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71
                        BULLSHIT! I love your meat in my mouth
                        RIP MARK BECK RIP MY FRIEND! RIP GIZMO,My little Buddy.

Comment

A while back my daily driver was making a ticking sound that I thought for sure was an exhaust leak that I could not find. Took it to an exhaust shop for a second opinion and they found one of my spark plugs had loosened. Sometimes you luck out and its something simple.
                          1970 Bronco
                          My build thread

Comment

Good news...got the hpop fixed on the Excursion..bad news I didnt get to check on the bronco last night. I will check the header bolts after I listen with the big screwdriver tonight. After getting home from work the bronco was good and hot 200 or so and sounded fine even at idle.

Thanks again for all the replies.

Comment

I had a stuck lifter awhile ago on my bronco and it sounded like it was coming from the valley of the engine... You should be able to differentiate the source of the noise a little bit.... Lifters and exhaust are pretty far apart. I put some Rislone in my oil and the lifter eventually stopped tapping, I just needed to drive the bronco for awhile.
                              SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

Working...
                              X