Aux gas tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aux gas tank

When I was at Praire City I noticed there are more than a handful of you that aren't using the aux gas tank. I get the whole rocker panel reason but thought that the "GREAT" gas mileage most of use who drive to the trail are getting would out weigh wanting to do away with the extra fuel by removing the tank. I hadn't ever even thought about removing the tank because I thought that gas would be too valuable by the time you drove to the trail, did the trail, then had to find the nearest gas station. So now I'm considering removing the tank for more rocker protection and wanted to get a general concensos. Is it a pain in the ass having limited range when using only one tank? Those of you running one tank, about how many miles are you getting out of a tank? EFI, carburated, whatever, Im just trying to make a decision. Yes I know we can carry Jerry cans.
    EDIT:
    I've read about three replies some for the tank and some not for the tank. So, does anyone make a aux tank that holds less fuel and is shallower for more underside clearance? I'm running an aftermarket 23 gal out back.
    Last edited by FLYINHIE; 10-24-2011, 06:18 AM.
    sigpic68' 351W ,Nothing stock except transfer case:

Re: Aux gas tank

I ditched my aux tank years ago for th eextra clearance, but I think the only way to do it is to either carry jerry cans or go to a larger aftermarket main tank. I went with the BC 24 gal. main tank and love it.

Comment

we left the ol mans aux tank in when we installed his sliders. The 3 braces that hold the slider protects the tank (he could even add some plate to help out. Now that he has a WH tank, he uses the aux as well extra (no more Jerry cans).

I my self have really thought about going to poly tanks all 3. Main + 2 aux and just pushing them as high into the body as I can and using belly pans to protect them.
      72' in pieces and piles of awesomeness

Comment

I run a 23 gallon rear tank with no aux tank, and I carry a 20L jerry can full at all times. As a point of reference, I can gas up at Sly Park Road off hwy 50, Drive up Ice House road, run the full Rubicon trail, and then drive to South Lake Tahoe, CA arriving at the first gas station in town with about 5 gallons left.

I do plan to install an auxiliary tank at some point, however I did plug the filler hole before I painted my Bronco. Future wheeling plans dictate needing to carry more fuel, and I've regretted deleting that tank.
        1970 Bronco
        My build thread

Comment

Crawlin are you carrying Jerry cans with your 24gal main and are you getting about the same result as cityhick?

Comment

Originally posted by CityHick View Post
            I run a 23 gallon rear tank with no aux tank, and I carry a 20L jerry can full at all times. As a point of reference, I can gas up at Sly Park Road off hwy 50, Drive up Ice House road, run the full Rubicon trail, and then drive to South Lake Tahoe, CA arriving at the first gas station in town with about 5 gallons left.
            x2. same
            {o===o}
            Originally posted by TBS-POPS
            EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....
            Originally posted by CityHick
            I don't give probabilities in percentage format anymore

Comment

Originally posted by FLYINHIE View Post
              Crawlin are you carrying Jerry cans with your 24gal main and are you getting about the same result as cityhick?
              I do carry one 5 gal jerry can all the time, but have never used it. Except to fill up my lawn mower at home.

To me, ground clearance is everything. An extra 1/4 inch can make the difference in making up/over an obstacle or not making it. But my Bronco is a 95% dedicated crawler. So it just depends on what you want to use your Bronco for. Running one large main tank also simplifies the whole fuel delivery system. Especially with EFI. Just my .02.

Comment

Originally posted by crawlin68 View Post
                But my Bronco is a 95% dedicated crawler.

Is yours trailered? I'm wanting about the same out of mine but probably 80% crawler. Tough decision. I want it to have just good enough road manners to make it to the trail safely.

Comment

Is yours trailered? I'm wanting about the same out of mine but probably 80% crawler. Tough decision. I want it to have just good enough road manners to make it to the trail safely.
                  I drive it to 90% of the trails that I run. The only place I trailer to are when there is long freeway drives. Like to the Rubicon or Bronctoberfest. Not because the Bronco wouldn't make it, just to have a more comfortable ride for me. My bronco actually drives very nice on the road and freeways. I drove it over 1600 miles in one week while on the Ultimate Adventure.

Comment

Definitely some valid points about your intended use and what you expect from your rig. For me, my Bronco serves as a weekend ride and it drives nicely enough to make me still want to drive it around on the freeways, to work, etc. Some of my future plans include more "expedition" style wheeling where I'd link trails with highways over the course of a couple weeks, traveling farther away from home, etc. This is why I want to carry more fuel.

But my Bronco is a 95% dedicated crawler.
                    ...but probably 80% crawler.
                    I drive it to 90% of the trails that I run.
                    You guys 87% sure about all of this?
                    1970 Bronco
                    My build thread

Comment

Ha ha!! Maybe mine is 89% crawler!

Comment

I run both stock tanks and plan on keeping both. I have cut my rockers to almost flush with the Aux tank and plan on making a skid plate to put under it. My aux tank is steel as well. Last time I ran the con I filled up in Georgetown, ran all the way to Buck and parked for 2 days. Then ran out the Tahoe side and made it to a gas station in Tahoe city on fumes. I am running a 351w on carb.
                        1968, 69 351W,NP 435, Stak 5.22, D44 with 4.10's, chebby discs and a detroit, 9" with 4.11's and a lockright. 35" MTR's, TRO, WH cage, ps, pb, 3.5" susp, 2" body lifts, pile of parts in the garage, empty wallet!

Comment

Originally posted by kwspony View Post
                          I run both stock tanks and plan on keeping both. I have cut my rockers to almost flush with the Aux tank and plan on making a skid plate to put under it. My aux tank is steel as well. Last time I ran the con I filled up in Georgetown, ran all the way to Buck and parked for 2 days. Then ran out the Tahoe side and made it to a gas station in Tahoe city on fumes. I am running a 351w on carb.
                          Now were getting somewhere since that's the setup I have. I was leaning toward the same thought: skid plate under tank with sliders flush with the bottom of the tank. Any frustration with ground clearance? I would assume you would adapt and just pick a line that would allow you to clear.

I'm about 50% sure that I want to make it to 75% of the trails, run the trail and make it to about 35% of the gas stations with 12% gas left in the tank.
                          SMARTASS
                          There always has to one in the crowd and it was only a matter of time before he couldn't hold his tounge any longer.

Comment

I do not have a trailer so I drive mine everywhere I go. I have not had any ground clearence issues yet but I don't pick the hardest lines anyway. Driving back to sacramento from Tahoe city after the con was interesting as it was. I do plan on upgrading the rear tank in the future to a larger one though.
                            1968, 69 351W,NP 435, Stak 5.22, D44 with 4.10's, chebby discs and a detroit, 9" with 4.11's and a lockright. 35" MTR's, TRO, WH cage, ps, pb, 3.5" susp, 2" body lifts, pile of parts in the garage, empty wallet!

Comment

I've had both actually. My 69 I ditched the aux tank and ran the stock rear tank.....hahahaha with 2 overland fuel containers with me. The clearance was awesome.

My 73 however is more of a mild wheeler and I will keep the AUX tank, even afer I put a 24 gallon in it. I'm not cutting the rockers on this one, and it doesn't hurt me at all to keep it in there and cycle some fuel thru it once in a while.
                              1973 Bronco Ranger - 302, C4, Dana 20, Dana 44 front, 9 inch rear, 3.55 gears, 35" MTR's on Allied Beadlocks, 3.5" Wild Horses lift

Comment

Working...
                              X