Battery Tech

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery Tech

So after 5+ years of running my emergency Kragen cheapy battery, Its starting to crap out. I have ALWAYS ran my speakers at night for a good part of the night when camping.

I really want to stay away from optima. My yellow top is the reason why I have a kragen battery now. I dont care if they have improved their manufacturing in mexico or if they use better materials or tech inside them. I do not want anything to do with optima.

I have heard nothing but good from Odyssey batteries but those are some serious coin. Everyone says that Sears DieHard series are made in the same place as Odyssey, basically a more inexpensive, corp version of Odyssey.

So I have narrowed it down to two batteries.

Sears DieHard Platinum

Sears DieHard Marine Platinum

Both are excellent batteries that can take a beating from my late night parties. My main concern is my charging system. Im not sure if I can run the Marine version because im still running a new stock alt. I dont know if it has the right amount of power to keep it at a full charge. What are your thought? Or better yet, can you guys school me on a better alt that takes little to no mods (vBelt)
    Last edited by 71BRONCO71; 11-14-2011, 05:35 PM.
    {o===o}
    Originally posted by TBS-POPS
    EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....
    Originally posted by CityHick
    I don't give probabilities in percentage format anymore

Re: Battery Tech

Plus Sears is having their black friday sale or some other kind of sale soon. 10% off is better than no percent off.
    {o===o}
    EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....

Comment

Your stock alt. will charge the deep cycle battery fine.
      69, 342 EFI, C4, NP203, D20, 4.5" SL, 2" BL, 4.88 9" 35 spline ARB, 4.88 HP D44, WAH, ARB, CTM's, front disc , 37 x 14.50 Toyo MT, Ram Assist, and rear 4-link

Comment

Cheesenip is running two of the Sears Platinum batteries. Paging Mr. Cheesy!

I am curious about this too as my 2 red top will not hold a charge for more than a week now. Time to get something new for me too.

Comment

Just so you know your v-belt pulley will go right on a 3G alt. I just put one on the wifes bronco for less than 40 bucks. So simple even you could do it.
          Marc D.
          If you drive with rage, drive a cage.

Comment

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71 View Post
            Everyone says that Sears DieHard series are made in the same place as Odyssey, basically a more inexpensive, corp version of Odyssey.
            Just because another brand is made at the same place does not mean it is made with the same materials or quality. It is made with whatever specs the company ask for.

I run the Odyssey battery and have been happy, my diesel is about due and will most likely run the same.
            Last edited by BRONKEN; 11-14-2011, 06:20 PM.
            69, 7" lift,D-44 with air locker, 9" 35 spl full floater with a locker, 4-wheel disc, custom paint, one off custom mods, Hanson bumpers and side protection, 35's on Champion beadlocks.

Comment

Originally posted by earlybronco72 View Post
              Just so you know your v-belt pulley will go right on a 3G alt. I just put one on the wifes bronco for less than 40 bucks. So simple even you could do it.
              go on.....
              {o===o}

Comment

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71 View Post
                go on.....
                On a half off day at pick and pull and the alt off of a sable.
                http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/show...ght=alternator
                This is the link I used, and the small body one fit on mine.
                Get as much of the charge wire as you can.
                Marc D.

Comment

One other thing. You have to disconnect the wire going to the amp gauge.
                  Marc D.

Comment

I have Diehard platuinums in my pontoon boat (4 years now) , and I had two in my Duramax until the headgasket blew (in the truck for 4 years) and those two have been in my backhoe and bronco for another two. I have had no issues what so ever with them. Granted six years for a battery isn't out of the ordinary. I bought the Die Hards because I coudln't find a Deka or Odyssey dealer locally that stocked what I needed and I couldn't wait to order one. My last three Optimas were junk that didn't last a year and the Exide Orbitals aren't much better. The Diehards are only slightly cheaper than the Odysseys, so there still pricey as far as batteries go. I will by another one next time I buy a battery.
                    69, 342 EFI, C4, NP203, D20, 4.5" SL, 2" BL, 4.88 9" 35 spline ARB, 4.88 HP D44, WAH, ARB, CTM's, front disc , 37 x 14.50 Toyo MT, Ram Assist, and rear 4-link

Comment

you're going to make me read?

I'll just wait until the next event to talk to you again. It worked for the relays.

So what would I be gaining if I switched to a larger alt?
                      {o===o}

Comment

A larger alternator is able to deliver more current to replenish the battery, which is desirable when running accessories drawing a lot of power (like your winch). The 3G alternator is very reliable (I have two that came from junkyard Sables) and both tested perfect. One is a spare that sits on my shelf - they're cheap.
                        1970 Bronco
                        My build thread

Comment

Originally posted by highlander View Post
                          I have Diehard platuinums in my pontoon boat (4 years now) , and I had two in my Duramax until the headgasket blew (in the truck for 4 years) and those two have been in my backhoe and bronco for another two. I have had no issues what so ever with them. Granted six years for a battery isn't out of the ordinary. I bought the Die Hards because I coudln't find a Deka or Odyssey dealer locally that stocked what I needed and I couldn't wait to order one. My last three Optimas were junk that didn't last a year and the Exide Orbitals aren't much better. The Diehards are only slightly cheaper than the Odysseys, so there still pricey as far as batteries go. I will by another one next time I buy a battery.
                          I like what im reading.

The only thing I dont like about the marine version is that it has the terminals on top. I really like having the side terminals for all my gagets. I just know that marine grade can be charged 100% down and still charge back up like it was new. Thats what killed my cheap-o battery I have now.
                          {o===o}

Comment

Ryan, I'll dig up the pics from my thread when I mounted one w/ a V belt before I went serp. Super easy, cheap & 130 amps!
                            sigpicRoad trips on an island get boring after the 1st lap...

Comment

You can get a stock style alternator in 55 or 60 amps (stock is 40 or 44 amps) - just look for a "big" car from the '70s or early '80s - Lincoln, T-bird, Merc, etc. The amp rating is stamped in the case near the pivot bolt boss. Same regulator, same connections, bolt it in and forget it. Dual pulley/belt recommended for the higher amp versions, especially if you're deep cycling the battery.

I've always had good luck with Delco (yeah, I know...) batteries. Been running them since the late '70s, and never had one that didn't go twice the warranty period. K-Mart sells them, or used to, and puts them on sale every month or two, been a while since I had to replace one. JL
                              '66 roadster, 200 six, GM HEI, 3.03/Jeep T150 shifter, 4.11 gears, 3" lift, 33X12.5

"I can explain it to you a hundred times, but I can't understand it for you!"

Comment

Working...
                              X