Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NV4500 Swap Questions

Ok Everyone,

I did a good deal of searching through older posts and got bits and pieces for what I need. I know the information is probably out there but here are my specific questions.

What I have now:
    -Dodge 5.9 L 4x4 gas nv4500 (part number 53006845).
    -ford 302 refinished fly wheel
    -Dodge shifter (will this work still)
    -Just ordered the transmission to transfercase adapter:
    http://www.advanceadapters.com/products/pn-sy-50-0209/
    -$600-700 (more if absolutely necessary)

Here is what I know I need:
    -A new clutch and throw out bearing
    -Adapter for bellhousing to transmission
    -WH cross member kit
    -Drive shaft modifications (these are on hold)

Swap Questions:
    So what else do I need? I am unsure about pilot bearings and about what other stock stuff I can reuse. I talked to WH guys and that said that the Knightmare bronco uses a manual clutch for their nv4500. So I figured I'd go that route if it was possible (and prob cheaper).

Transmission Questions:
    I took the top off the transmission and it looked good. Very fine metal dust on the magnet on the bottom of the transmission but nothing larger then even a grain of sand. Has all the teeth of both gears and syncros. Can shift in and out of every gear. I am nervous about getting the right oil for the transmission. Recommendations there would be awesome too! (I know some of you recommended the castroal stuff, but anything else). What (if any) sealer did you use for the transmission to transfer case to keep the oils away from each other?

I have about four weeks to get this bronco's frame and body back together. I have to wirewheel the undercarriage and herculier it, install a two inch body lift, and get this transmission figured out, before we move (bought a house and my wife is not super happy that our bronco has now become part of our new house remods budget).

Special thanks to Justin (Trailbound), he found the CL listing for me. Got two NV4500s bellhousing to transfer case for 300 bucks a piece!!!! Sold one NV and the two transfer cases so I can put whole thing together on the cheap. Norcal Bronco Buddy of the Year award (Do I smell a new thread idea).

Thanks again for all the help guys. Especially Justin and Patrick letting me bug them all the time. I love this site!
    sigpicZ

1970 project. 302 nv4500, 3 1/2 inch lift, 2 BL, D44

Re: NV4500 Swap Questions

Oil I use is mopar 4874459 picked up at the jeep dealer.

Rc
    Bronco hotrod 351w
    74 bronco 5.0

Comment

IIRC you need a new pilot bearing. The shifter should work. The x-member looks like the Advance one I have. It hangs low and gives more drivetrain angle. I'd build a custom one if I did it again. Stock clutch linkage is good if your exhaust allows it. Replace the rods on the bell crank with all thread and heims for a smoother/ longer lasting linkage. Bought my oil online by the gallon.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
        IIRC you need a new pilot bearing. The shifter should work. The x-member looks like the Advance one I have. It hangs low and gives more drivetrain angle. I'd build a custom one if I did it again. Stock clutch linkage is good if your exhaust allows it. Replace the rods on the bell crank with all thread and heims for a smoother/ longer lasting linkage. Bought my oil online by the gallon.
        Exact suggestions I was going to mention. I still would like to build a custom cross member for mine... all in good time. As for the oil, definately try to find it online, I bought mine from the dealer and it is very pricey.

Comment

Yea, I was just going to buy the cross member because I don't have the skills or tools to make one. As far a pilot bearing goes. Which one is correct. AA sells the oil for about 16 dollars a quart is that about as good as it gets?

thanks for all the input so far everyone one!
          sigpicZ

Comment

.....As far a pilot bearing goes. Which one is correct.......
            I think Kyle ended up getting his from W/H, it's not something that you can explain to the NAPA counter guy how to look up.
            Originally posted by 71BRONCO71 at Buck Island 6/25/11
            I can do that so much better myself..........1, 2, 3 GOODNIGHT!!!

Comment

I have never seen the application for "correct" pilot bushing. You either need to take the OEM Ford one and bore it to the Dodge .668" (IIRC) diameter, or you need to buy the one from AA.

Your existing pressure plate, throwout bearing and stock linkage is all re-usable. The only thing you need is a 1-1/8 x 10 spline clutch disc. It is the same one used by GM for 30 years from 68-99 or so.

Amsoil sells an MTF oil specifically for the NV4500. The GM stuff is better IMHO.

You cannot determine the state of wear of a NV4500 synchro by looking at it. The Teeth NEVER wear out before the cones are gone.

There's a seal in the extension housing of the NV4500. It should not require any sealant, or even a gasket.

As stated previously, the AA/WH crossmember is low, and hangs down. But that allows the tranny to clear the tunnel without massive hacking. It's your choice.

Wild H has done all the work for you...and has decent prices, and gives good phone. AA is the source of the hardware, but they have poor customer service, and no incentive to re-invent their kits. (that's not always 100% true, but is is true enough...)

Have fun.
              Last edited by jamesroney; 12-17-2011, 11:28 AM. Reason: pic

Comment

Originally posted by zsmith View Post
                Yea, I was just going to buy the cross member because I don't have the skills or tools to make one. As far a pilot bearing goes. Which one is correct. AA sells the oil for about 16 dollars a quart is that about as good as it gets?

thanks for all the input so far everyone one!
                If you want to build one, let me know and we can get togeter one afternoon and build you one.

Comment

Thanks for the info everyone! What do you think the materials cost would be Patrick, and how does your crossmember compare with the WH one? (Thanks a ton for the offer by the way!) I am off for 3 weeks (teacher) so my schedule is super flexible.

As far as clutch goes, any special recommendations or should I just go with the WH one? My pressure plate is the original and old, any recommendations there as well?

Body to frame question, I don't have shocks now for my rolling chassis, should I buy those as before I drop my body on even if I still don't have plans to get it started anytime soon. (this maybe a stupid question)
                  sigpicZ

Comment

It'll cost you more in beer than it will for the materials to build a crossmember. Seriously, I can't imagine it would cost more than $20 to $30 in materials. We can go down to Valley Iron and pick up some pieces of scrap steel, then a couple of leaf spring poly eye bushings and we're golden.

Shocks will be one last things that you'll buy for your Bronco. You want to have all of the weight on/in you bronco with the springs broken in first, then you'll measure for shocks.

Comment

Thanks Patrick. I'll give you a call this afternoon to nail out the details.
                      sigpicZ

Comment

I wanted to cry when I got done with my swap and had to buy oil. It cost me about $90. I am going to build another cross member when I get some more time. The AA one hangs pretty low.
                        They flex like a boneless hooker

Comment

Yea, I am tapped out on money, between a new house and a new baby. I am spent, but gotta get the bronco over to the new place so tomorrow going to be putting the body back on tomorrow.

Planning on putting a 2 BL, anyone with an nv4500 want to give me the measurements for the floor cutouts for the shifter!!! I am desperate to save sometime trying to figure it out my self!!!

Thanks
                          sigpicZ

Comment

I hacked out pretty much the entire tunnel because it needed to be replaced anyways.

I have another pilot bushing if you want it... I just need a shipping address.
                            They flex like a boneless hooker

Comment

Got it in!!!! Just measured off the body mounts and figured it out. Pics to come on the build thread.
                              sigpicZ

Comment

Working...
                              X