Fuel Lines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Lines

Im thinking of ditching my 5/16 Ford Nylon Fuel lines and going either Stainless or Aluminum fuel lines along the frame rail with Steel braided lines going to the Spring Connectors on the fuel rail and going to the Sherman Tank.

Couple questions.

Is it better to go 3/8 Feed and 5/16 Return or can I do both in 3/8? Trying to avoid buying excessive lines since it comes in coils of 25ft.

Also, Is Stainless Better than Aluminum? Aluminum is half the price?

With aluminum you can use the Nut/Sleeves correct versus double flaring adapters?

Everything will be connected via AN6 Fittings including an inline Fuel Filter with An6 fittings.

Im running the Sherman Tank with in the tank Pump. EFI
    Last edited by jchevy4x4j; 01-25-2012, 02:00 PM.
    72 Bronco, 89 5.0 EFI, NP435, Mustang Hydro, PSC Steering with Ram Assist, Dana 20 with Twin Sticks, Rear 9 inch with Detroit, Front Dana 44-Yukon Gold Joints with Detroit, 5.13 gears, 5.5" Coils up front, 4 Link rear with 2" body lift, 37" Toyos...Money Pit!

Re: Fuel Lines

IIRC You can't double flare stainless tube... It will split. You have to flare it to 45 and use the correct fittings... I used coated steel on mine and it's worked fine. Stainless looks nice but it's harder to work with.
    SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

Originally posted by Efibroncoman View Post
      IIRC You can't double flare stainless tube... It will split. You have to flare it to 45 and use the correct fittings... I used coated steel on mine and it's worked fine. Stainless looks nice but it's harder to work with.
      This is correct, single flare with a nut and collar.

I have some ford steel lines with the push on connectors if you want. They are long enough to run the length of the frame.

J
      1969 EB, 88 Speed density EFI 302, HP D44 front w/ARB, Radius arm long arm, NP435, D20, D60 w/power lock rear, 4link rear with 4" stretch, Front and rear bumpers made by me.

Comment

I used non-seamed alum 3/8 supply and return with nut sleeves to -6AN steel braid. The alum tubing I got was a little pricey but worth it in the end. I've got the tubing running the length of the frame on top and braided to the tank and fuel pumps/engine compartment.
        '88 347 roller, Exploder EFI, WH Shorties, NP435, twin stick D-20 with Tera lows, 44 4:56's w/ARB chromos and CTMs, 9" Detroit, cust dash, wiring and STILL ALMOST "DONE"!...

Comment

Flared tubing???

How about a -6AN braided stainless PTFE tube with a 90 degree inverted female fitting, direct to an HP-1 EFI filter, to another braided stainless teflon hose direct to the fuel rail. Since the tank is already -6AN, I have exactly ONE connector...which is the Russell AN to Ford tube spring lock.

The return side is aluminum tube. I only used 3/8 because the parker push-lock fitting was for 3/8 hose to couple to the -6 return fitting on the tank.

No flares, minimum fittings, super clean, and easy to service.

Comment

I am doing an EFI conversion on two EB's right now and have been debating the same question.
            I have some great thin wall stainless 3/8 tubing to use and will go 3/8 supply and return but I am going to put a flow restriction at the return to the tanks in order to make it look like 5/16 tubing to the pumps.
            I decided to just go fuel hose and the good hose clamps. While AN fittings and braided hose would be nice I dont have the $$ or time right now.
            Attached Files
            Relativity: Where ever you go, there you are.

Comment

The fuel lines I have now work fine, I just hate the stupid plastic ford connectors. For some reason they give me fits. I like the old fashion wrench to take a part lines. Thanks Justin for the offer, but I just priced everything out through Summit and for $200 I can do both the pressure and return line in -6 Braided Stainless hose with all AN connectors and inline Aluminum fuel filter within an inline pressure gauge by the rear of the manifold since both my pressure and return lines come out back towards the firewall. An-6 is equivlant to 3/8 so I should be fine. Anyone else running this setup or those inline fuel filters? Here are a couple pics of the stuff I would be using.
              Attached Files
              72 Bronco, 89 5.0 EFI, NP435, Mustang Hydro, PSC Steering with Ram Assist, Dana 20 with Twin Sticks, Rear 9 inch with Detroit, Front Dana 44-Yukon Gold Joints with Detroit, 5.13 gears, 5.5" Coils up front, 4 Link rear with 2" body lift, 37" Toyos...Money Pit!

Comment

I'd be worried about the size of that filter, it won't take much to clog it.
                Mark Harris
                71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

3/8 supply and 5/16 return steel lines... I am not saying anything about how people spend their money, but it seems like there is some overkill going on... Just my 2 cents
                  Attached Files
                  2002 F250 Superduty, 7.3 241,500 miles and counting
                  1979 Bronco, 351M,NP435,4:11's on 33's
                  2016 Race Red Shelby GT350

Comment

Mine is very similar to Doug's. Factory Explorer hardlines at the engine coupled to steel hardline down the framerail. EFI rated rubber hose and EFI clamps at the back. Maybe $25-$30 total. Engine flexlines and stock fuel filter still have factory springlocks for ease of disconnecting. Simple and functional.
                    1971 EB: 3.5" 4 link rear, wristed front, 2" body, 96 Explorer 5.0 EDIS EEC-IV, C6, Nissan PS, Hydroboost w/front disks, 4.88 9" w/spool, D44 w/ aussie locker, TRO, 37" MTRs

Comment

Your probably right Mark on the fuel filter size. I took that off my list and went with a GM Style that has 16MM x 1.5 Threads to go from AN6 to fit that. This is why I ask questions and get other peoples thoughts and Ideas.

I also plan to run all of this on the top of my frame rail like I have it now so it is up and out of the way.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by jchevy4x4j; 01-26-2012, 09:59 AM.

Comment

The small filter will clog, at least mind did in my sandrail in about 1 mile from camp in the bottom of a bowl.
                        1969 EB, 88 Speed density EFI 302, HP D44 front w/ARB, Radius arm long arm, NP435, D20, D60 w/power lock rear, 4link rear with 4" stretch, Front and rear bumpers made by me.

Comment

Originally posted by jchevy4x4j View Post
                          Your probably right Mark on the fuel filter size. I took that off my list and went with a GM Style that has 16MM x 1.5 Threads to go from AN6 to fit that. This is why I ask questions and get other peoples thoughts and Ideas.

I also plan to run all of this on the top of my frame rail like I have it now so it is up and out of the way.
                          I went with the same GM style filter for low cost and easy availabilty (AC Delco part #GF652) uses the same 16mmx 1.5 threads adapted to -6AN. It's a 10 micron for fuel injection. I run 3/8 aluminum lines along the frame with Aeroquip rubber hose and push on AN fitiings at each end. I use the same size Aeroquip hose and -6AN push on fittings for almost every rubber hose on my bronco (power steering low pressure side, tranny cooler, on board air, and all vent lines) this way I only have to carry one extra hose for almost everthing. With the push on fittings it is easy to cut off a bad hose and replace with new.
                          Last edited by highlander; 01-26-2012, 07:56 PM.
                          69, 342 EFI, C4, NP203, D20, 4.5" SL, 2" BL, 4.88 9" 35 spline ARB, 4.88 HP D44, WAH, ARB, CTM's, front disc , 37 x 14.50 Toyo MT, Ram Assist, and rear 4-link

Comment

I know BC gets some bad press, but what do you guys think about his fuel line kit?
                            We're here for a good time, not a long time!

Comment

Originally posted by Spaceburger View Post
                              I decided to just go fuel hose and the good hose clamps. While AN fittings and braided hose would be nice I dont have the $$ or time right now.
                              I did that with my 1st motor when I switched to the 351 all the hose was rotten in 5 years
                              Originally posted by TBS-POPS
                              After a huge amount of reflection, I have determined that what I saw in ukiah was in fact Brians bronco. I was also informed by my wife that she infact heard it run!!

Comment

Working...
                              X