P/S options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P/S options

What are the best options (companies) for upgrade power steering pumps? Currently running a stock Bronco box and a Ford pump (long story). My plan is to eventually upgrade to a 4x4x2 box, ram assist setup and hydroboost.

Jason
    '69 Sport, geared, locked and injected, blah, blah, blah...

Re: P/S options

1978/79 bronco f150 box is great. Get a Saginaw p-pump. The van brackets work to put Saginaw pump on a 5.0 but I had clearance issues with it hitting my ps box. I ended up going with the PSC p-pump w remote reservoir. I know there are cheaper ways to do it but I didnt want to be cheap.
    Last edited by brocbronc; 01-31-2012, 09:05 PM.
    69 bronco, 72 bronco, 66 vert stang

Comment

Psc!!
      KK6DAD
      70 Miles to the Rubicon!

Comment

The stock bronco box is the only Saginaw steering gear that Ford ever used! They are pretty strong boxes but if you are running big tires you should add a ram assist to help prevent breaking it! I wouldn't trade my stock box for a FSB box, but the 4x4x2 box is a good way to go if you can't find a stock box. The cool think is with a Saginaw you don't need to tap the housing for ram assist! I bought a billet end cap and then drilled and tapped my top cap for the lines. For the power steering pump, definitely go with a PSC pump, well worth the cost!
        Last edited by Efibroncoman; 01-31-2012, 10:38 PM.
        SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

My stock box has a chunk missing from the bottom near the sector shaft seal and retainer and has started to crack after 15 years of wheeling on it this way.

I'm thinking it would be a lot cheaper to build a 4x4x2 box rather than find another EB box. My understanding that it is also a stronger box.

I guess I will be calling PSC.

Jason

Comment

4x4x2 would definitely be cheaper and more readily available than a stock bronco box, and being that both the 4x4 box and 4x2 box are sourced from full-size ford trucks, it's probably likely that they are a little stronger too.
            SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

Originally posted by RCrawler View Post
              Thanks for the replies.

My stock box has a chunk missing from the bottom near the sector shaft seal and retainer and has started to crack after 15 years of wheeling on it this way.

I'm thinking it would be a lot cheaper to build a 4x4x2 box rather than find another EB box. My understanding that it is also a stronger box.

I guess I will be calling PSC.

Jason
              I have a good box tapped for hydro assist in the stuff for sale. I switched to the standard 4x4 78 bronco box.
              http://www.norcalbroncos.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=9540
              69 bronco, 72 bronco, 66 vert stang

Comment

Yeah. I've had my eye on it. Its getting closer and closer to my budget of FREE.
                Unfortunately, the tax man wants more money from me than I had originally planned. So I'm going to have to wait a little longer.

Jason
                Last edited by RCrawler; 02-12-2012, 08:26 AM.

Comment

I am kind of torn on this one as well; currently have the stock box but I am going to be running 37" tires and worry about being able to replace the box if it breaks.

Thinking a 4x4x2 would be easier to get donor parts for. Also thinking that if I go with a trail spare it doesn't matter which one as much.

Had an interesting conversation about this with the guys at West Texas Offroad. His opinion was that the stock box was inherently stronger, he thought it had a stronger sector shaft. In either case, his recommendation was to use a ram to take the strain off the box in the first place.

The 4x4x2 box probably isn't that much stronger; I'm guessing most failures are due to wear and tear on the stock box, usually never rebuilt until they break.
                  Last edited by tortuga; 02-12-2012, 01:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X