Power Steering Setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Steering Setup

I have the power steering now what is the best way to hooking it up to the stock steering shaft..So basically 77 power steering box to a 70 manual steering shaft..Looked at bronco places and see the shafts for $200 +. Is there a cheaper better way or just replacing entire shaft best way to go..Thanks

Re: Power Steering Setup

I cut the shaft about 2" below where it comes out of the column. Added 2 Spicer yokes and u joint (3/4" diameter of the shaft, I'm thinking). Cut the shaft that I removed to fit and added another yoke, joint combo at the bottom to match the box splines. And welded the yokes to the shaft. It was very cheap, but the downfall is that I have to pull the column up to remove the steering box.

Jason
    '69 Sport, geared, locked and injected, blah, blah, blah...

Comment

I cut mine. Attached the flaming river DD joint. Cross drilled and done. I went with the Flaming river collapsible shaft too.
      KK6DAD
      70 Miles to the Rubicon!

Comment

like this

http://norcalbroncos.com/forum/attac...1&d=1174285322
        {o===o}
        Originally posted by TBS-POPS
        EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....
        Originally posted by CityHick
        I don't give probabilities in percentage format anymore

Comment

Head off to PnP and get a shaft, then mod like above
          68 Slightly modified
          67 LUBR once again
          61 Willy Wagon

Comment

any vehicles have the 3/4 shaft that im looking for ?

Comment

Early Ford vans, pass cars etc. Tear one off cut to your length
              68 Slightly modified
              67 LUBR once again
              61 Willy Wagon

Comment

Why is my brain telling me that a 77 Bronco Saginaw Power Steering Box uses a 13/16 x 36 input spline?

I'm pretty sure that the 72-75 box is 13/16 x 36, because I had to buy a new joint when I converted to the 78-79 box, which is 3/4x36 for sure.

This is all from memory, so I could be wrong???

Comment

Originally posted by jamesroney View Post
                  Why is my brain telling me that a 77 Bronco Saginaw Power Steering Box uses a 13/16 x 36 input spline?

I'm pretty sure that the 72-75 box is 13/16 x 36, because I had to buy a new joint when I converted to the 78-79 box, which is 3/4x36 for sure.

This is all from memory, so I could be wrong???
                  That would be correct. I was just looking into this for my 4x4x2 box (3/4"x 36 spline) and the original Bronco P/S boxes were 13/16"x 36 spline.
                  sigpicRoad trips on an island get boring after the 1st lap...

Comment

My PS conversion was done by a PO. I can tell they cut the original shaft and added a rag joint. The lower half is a Ford collapsible shaft, I was told original EB power steering setups had that collapsible portion but I've not seen others quite like mine. Replacing the rag joint with a u-joint has always been on my list but until then I just carry extra hardware to repair it if it ever fails on the trail.
                    1970 Bronco
                    My build thread

Comment

So do they make something that converts from 13/16 to the 3/4 shaft ? flaming river or something else ?

Comment

Yes, there are aftermarket universal joint companies like Borgeson, and Flaming River that make adapter joints in nearly every configuration.

The original Spicer yokes can also be obtained in both spline counts, although there are a couple of different u-joint dimensions...so you can't just join any two together.

The problem with the PS conversion link is that there are a LOT of different ways to do it, and each has some level of cost or complexity. Many people like to run the Borgeson style like the picture above, but I would not put one on any vehicle that I own. But I have three reasons for that:
                        1. I am cheap.
                        2. I wanted an NVH coupler.
                        3. Their products are of dubious quality.

There will be some arguement about #3. but I did drive my Bronco with a Borgeson universal joint across the desert going to Surprise Canyon (when it was still open...) when suddenly, at 35 MPH, the steering wheel disconnected from the box. The set screw used to hold the joint was brittle, and it just disintegrated. Absolutely frightening experience. Fortunately, I had my friends nearby to laugh at me during the entire episode. Had it happened anywhere other than in the middle of the desert, it would have been very, very bad.

Since that day, I use the large format Spicer universal joint, and I spot face, key, weld, and safety wire every coupling. Fear of death can be useful...

Wild H sells a nice adapter joint from 13/16x36 to 3/4 round shaft that will work for you...if you have no body lift. Figure $60 brand new.

Comment

Working...
                        X