Gear Oil ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gear Oil ??

I'm getting ready to install my new rear center section with a Detroit Tru-Trac. I know that you can use any gear oil. Some say you shouldn't use synthetic until you have some break-in miles on it. Others say you can go with synthetic from the beginning.

What do you think? If synthetic what kind?

Re: Gear Oil ??

I like Red Line for synthetic oil and ran it in all of my drive train for a year or so - but like so many of us I change my fluids every year after wheeling for fear of water contamination, etc... and that got expensive. I now run conventional 75w-90 everywhere. With such a short service interval (in gear oil terms) I don't see a lot of benefit in running synthetic.
    1970 Bronco
    My build thread

Comment

Never use Syn..every gear manufactor will tell you..Syn doesn't work well transfering heat from the gears.
      Dealer for: Dynatrac,,Atlas, Advance Adapters, Bilstein, Sway-A-Way's, Hella, Deaver Springs, Ford Diesel suspension and Performance. Jeep suspension's

ctperformanceinc@yahoo.com

Comment

I agree with Tony, it's not worth the money of synthetic when I change the fluids every year after wheel'in. The only time and place I run synthetic is in my daily driver automatic trannys.
        Leave No One Behind
        KK6AUW

Comment

Not wanting to run synthetic because of frequent oil change intervals is one thing... But big trucks and locomotives have been running synthetic oils for years without any negetive results... Personally I've never seen a set of gears burn up due to running synthetic... I agree that if you ever do a river crossing and dunk your axle it would be a good idea to at least drain it and check for water.
          SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

I'm a fan of the Red Line Shock proof oil. In our race cars we would we chiiping of teeth and exxsive detroit noise in the axles with all different types of gear oils, Redline had us switch, it made a huge difference in maintance and wear.
            In a daily driven rig, you might lose some MPG's, but IMO it's worth it. After a gear break in I normally swap to shock proof.
            Mark Harris
            71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

Originally posted by welndmn View Post
              In a daily driven rig, you might lose some MPG's, but IMO it's worth it. After a gear break in I normally swap to shock proof.
              So you are saying use regular gear oil for break in then switch to synthetic? Also why would you lose MPG with synthetic? I thought synthetic was suppose to increase milage.

Comment

You actually don't need to change your oil after break-in... Put a magnet in the bottom of the housing and just fill with oil. If you don't believe me, ask your local car dealer what they do. None of the OEMs take extra steps to break in gears. Any ferrous particles will stick to the magnet and will not be suspended in the oil. New cars are assembled and filled with fluids then sent to dealers. They don't break in each individual car or ask you to bring it back for fluid change after a certain number of miles.
                SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

Change oil once a yr? shit I like water so three times a yr is abt right, 5gal 85wt is what I buy, heat in a bath tub, pump!
                  my .02
                  68 Slightly modified
                  67 LUBR once again
                  61 Willy Wagon

Comment

You guys must not run long breather tubes on your axles.... I have those sealed bellows-type breathers on both of my axles. As far as I'm concerned if oil isn't getting out, then water probably isn't getting in... But the way I see it if you drain the oil and there isn't water in it then put it back in! If you really feel the need to change your oil every few months then more power to you... It's your money!

Comment

What do you mean by sealed bellows type breathers? Im looking to run breathers off my axles now and was thinking of using cheap fuel filters.
                      Last edited by seahawkfan; 02-20-2012, 06:25 PM.
                      Vacaville, Ca
                      67 EB - D44, BB 9" (4:56's), front discs, Wristed arm, 5.5" + 2" BL, 37" MTR's on Hellcats, 302/NP435/D20, Bilsteins, Mastercraft Rubicons w/4pt's

Comment

Originally posted by seahawkfan View Post
                        What do you mean by sealed bellows type breathers? Im looking to run breathers off my axles now and was thinking of using cheap fuel filters.
                        I belive this is what he is typing about
                        http://www.pscmotorsports.com/vent-b...-of-stock.html
                        Originally posted by TBS-POPS
                        After a huge amount of reflection, I have determined that what I saw in ukiah was in fact Brians bronco. I was also informed by my wife that she infact heard it run!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bronco Brian View Post
                          I belive this is what he is typing about
                          http://www.pscmotorsports.com/vent-b...-of-stock.html
                          Yup, that's them! I got mine from PSC also, although there are several vendors that sell them.

Comment

I had those bellow types on mine and found out sealing it up will lead to path of least resistance... in my case a pin hole on the back side of the diff.

Comment

I change my oil after gear break in. Sure, the factory does not, but they also don't change the oil after an engine break in either.
                              Gear oil is cheap, I buy it by the 5 gallon pail. That little Magnet fills up fast and new gears shed little flecks of metal.

The redline shock proof oil I'm saying you might loose mpg because it's a very thick oil, it's. It the run of the mill synthetic oil. When all the rock crawlers want to go fast they started burning up the gears in the Atlas, we put shock proof oil in and never had a problem
                              Redline is also a local company.
                              Mark Harris
                              71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

Working...
                              X