Which Automatic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Automatic

I'm starting a new build and at the point I need to decide which transmission to run. I will definitely be running an automatic but not sure if I can run a C-4 or step up to a C-6 (I have both available) or some other auto. I'm estimating the rig will weigh in about 4500#, 350HP small block on one ton axles running 40" tires. Who has run a similar set up and had good luck. I have never been the type of driver to be heavy on the go pedal but maybe it's time to start.

Thanks
    Last edited by BRONKEN; 02-20-2012, 05:37 PM.
    69, 7" lift,D-44 with air locker, 9" 35 spl full floater with a locker, 4-wheel disc, custom paint, one off custom mods, Hanson bumpers and side protection, 35's on Champion beadlocks.

Re: Which Automatic

If I were you I would choose the C6. From what I've heard C4's are ok for stock broncos but even built tough are considered to be just borderline strong enough for a built bronco. If you go through the C6 and build it right with a bigger pan and big cooler with a fan, you should be golden.
    SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

A C6 is a great builder, lots of parts are avavilble for it and can handle lots of power and big tires and axles, thats what i have. And i dont know much about a C4
      72 BRONCO,still building.

Comment

Yeah, when you figure C6s backed torque monsters like 390, 428, & 429s in stock form seems like the logical choice to me especially since you have both to choose from. 31 spline outputs too.
        sigpicRoad trips on an island get boring after the 1st lap...

Comment

I went with the C6 as I didnt want to be ordering adapters for the black box since the 205 bolted right up to the BB. But you probably will be goin outside the frame rails for exhaust like we are going to be.

Bulletproof for sure, though!

Comment

What about drive shaft issues running a HP 60 in the front?
            69, 7" lift,D-44 with air locker, 9" 35 spl full floater with a locker, 4-wheel disc, custom paint, one off custom mods, Hanson bumpers and side protection, 35's on Champion beadlocks.

Comment

C4's are great, their small packaging really works well. Mines about a year old, the only issue being I have too loose of a convertor. I've got a few friends with c4's In comp buggies as well.
              The c6 is strong and will be hands down cheaper to build then a c4, but it's longer and zaps more power then a c4.
              Mark Harris
              71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

Ken, I know one of the swaps is the AOD or 4R70W which is what I'm doing. Mine will not be a crawler like your build so I can't tell you how durable they are when it comes to putting some torque to them. I do know with the OD portion, they become more effecient when traveling (MPGs). So that being said, if you're going to trailer then probably cheaper to go the C4 or C6 route. I think with the cost of everything, my 4R70W will be close to $2k not including drivelines. But mine was a brand new never installed tranny.

Brad
                1969 Sport, 351 roller EFI, 4R70W, TEAM BLUE.

Comment

I thought about a OD trans for those short drives to the trail I'm just not sure how well they hold up to trail abuse.

Comment

Originally posted by BRONKEN View Post
                    I thought about a OD trans for those short drives to the trail I'm just not sure how well they hold up to trail abuse.
                    Nor am I...
                    1969 Sport, 351 roller EFI, 4R70W, TEAM BLUE.

Comment

Anyone have experience with the 700R4 or AOD in a crawler?
                      Last edited by BRONKEN; 02-21-2012, 07:00 PM.

Comment

4R70W in mine. Built to last behind a 427 stroker still gathering parts-built 351W still now. Stock they are good (post '98 or later model year) for over 400 hp/400lb torque. Much more than that and you want a couple upgrades. No comparison to an AOD.

Mine gets used hard (DiLo's familiar with my right foot at times). : ) With a Baumann controller you get to drive it like a full manual (lock the converter in any gear and kill the engine with it locked-just like a stick) or set the line pressures wherever you want and the shift points and just hammer it.

Mines in front of a KluneV and an Atlas 4.3. I've played on some local rocks but haven't hit all day long rock trails like the Rubicon again with it yet. Hope to get there again this summer.

Hope this helps ya some
                        Last edited by nvrstuk; 02-21-2012, 08:28 PM. Reason: update

Comment

IMHO, this all depends on a couple things:

What your ultimate plans for the rig are. Driver-crawler, driver, or just crawler? Crawler only? Build a strong C4 (refer to monster C4 thread on Ford Muscle below)

http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/c4-t...-version2.html

The C4 is lighter, smaller, produces a ton less heat and thus HP less loss than a C6. It can handle in excess of 1000 HP with the right modifications. This is a very popular transmission in the drag circuit. For a moderate build like you are planning it can easily be built to handle it especially if you start with an Early Bronco 26 Spline output case. Get a good converter at stock or close to stock stall to save on heat build up and get a dedicated plate cooler with fan and drive it. I have a well built C4 that is showing zero signs of issues.

If you want an over drive I would stay away from the AOD. The TV cable is a pain in the ass. The trans is weak unless properly built. The last one I installed for a guy was just at 4500 shipped from Lentech Automatics in Canada and even that trans had issues after a few years with <500 HP. If you like that family of transmissions get an AODE or 4R70W and use the Baumann controller. I don't know much about them yet, but I have one here ready for install in the LUBR and the flexibility to program this trans with the controller is awesome. The 4x4 version will accept an Atlas directly with little mods.

If you do the 700R4 the only guy I know that is the go to guy is Art Carr, formerly of Art Carr Performance. He is now doing California Performance Transmissions. This trans needs a properly adjusted TV cable too. If it goes out of adjustment, your trans will quickly fail.

http://www.cpttransmission.com/
                          “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

heard good things about these guys.

www.monstertrans.com
                            75 sport 302 c4 full width 44 front 9 rear let the building begin

Comment

Working...
                            X