Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lars bars

Originally posted by country_boy_72 View Post
    I was just looking for a good cheaper alternative is this not the case ?
    So was I, plus I just wanted to try it for fun.

Duff arms are longer than the ones I made, though you can make them any length you want.

Another difference, probably more important, is that Duff arms have rubber bushings in the joint between the back part of the C and the arm, which I presume allows for some lateral flex that you aren't going to get with my design.

I'm happy with mine. Unquestionably more flex, based on some testing I did at work. If someone had given me a set of Duff arms I wouldn't have turned them down though.
    1970, Exploder 5.0 with P heads, EEC-IV EDIS, lots of wiring.

Originally posted by CityHick
    I suddenly feel rich and feel the need to dump more cash into my Bronco.

Comment

so how about drive ability thats what i am really looking for

Comment

so how about drive ability thats what i am really looking for
        It's subjective of course, but the reason I made my arms 6 inches longer was because an old school Bronco fabricator I met years ago in SoCal suggested that 6 inches was a good compromise if I was trying to maintain on-road driveability. Since that's the only length I have experience with, I don't have a clue as to the effect of going longer than that. I can say that mine seems to behave as nicely as a lifted short wheelbase narrow track old truckette on 35" tires could be expected to. The arms certainly didn't make things any worse. You aren't going to race any Corvettes in the corners, but it can be driven all day down the freeway at 70 mph with a thumb hooked over the wheel. Having done just that, many times.

Comment

It is hard to say what the ideal length is for arms. I am happy with my Cage arms, but the decision to go that route was finding a deal on a used pair of them. I will say that with the first shocks (single pro-comp shocks, mounted on F250 towers) my handling was borderline scary when loaded with camping gear, cruising twisty back roads at 55mph. That was with 5.5" WH rockcrawler coils. With firmer shocks that problem was largely solved.

My suspension flexes more than I usually need off road - its no buggy but I also don't take hard lines when I can help it.

Lars' rig drives nicer than mine does (at least at 25-35mph around the block) but that is not an apples to apples comparison - different coils, shocks, etc. So much of this is personal opinion/preference. If you were closer I'd let you test drive my setup to see what you think.
          1970 Bronco
          My build thread

Comment

see thats is what i would like is just to make my bronco into a nice daly driver

Comment

Unfortunately for me it was trial and error in dialing it in just the way I wanted. I have since dropped to 4.5" rockcrawler coils so I have a slight forward rake with my 5.5" leafs out back and that too seemed to help my handling on the road - different weight transfer properties or something. I do enjoy driving my rig around town and on the highway at pretty much any speed. I was once clocked at over 80 on the freeway.. its no sports car but its not bad. If you are not looking for extreme offroad performance than the price of Cage/Duff arms might not be worth it - but depending on your amount of lift the caster correction built in is nice.
              1970 Bronco
              My build thread

Comment

i put a 4.5 lift on it and it went to being a hand full while driving down the road very darty so i am hoping i can kill 2 birds with one stone get more flex and help road maners
                but on a budget of a just mairred wife wants a house budget thanks agian for all the help guys

Comment

i put a 4.5 lift on it and it went to being a hand full while driving down the road very darty so i am hoping i can kill 2 birds with one stone get more flex and help road maners
                  but on a budget of a just mairred wife wants a house budget thanks agian for all the help guys
                  I suggest getting the alignment checked. They can only set toe, but they can check everything. I'm betting your caster numbers are way too low. Don't assume that they are ok just because you put in different C bushings. If you do it, post up the numbers here. If you don't mind fab work, you can do a lot in that department for not a lot of money.

Comment

Ya I know my caster is way off I had it aligned
                    And that's what they informeded me

Comment

Working...
                    X