Shake down run

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shake down run

Well I finally got the bronco to a point where I can run it thru its paces so my buddy and I took the rigs down a local trail called poison creek.

Nothing super "hardcore" but a good solid all around run to see what, if anything, was going to fall off. hahaha.

Ran all of poison creek, then ran down to the carson river and then came up and into Wasp canyon. Chris' (FJ55) fuel pump quit working, and with some redneck engineering he was up and running quick. I had some vapor lock issues but other than that, the truck did great.

I need to work out a few things

- Vapor lock: Not sure what that's all about. I'm going to wrap my exhaust since it's close to the tank and hopefully that takes care of it.
    - Rancho 9000's: Just need to find the "sweet spot" for decent crawling, and then romping on it and hauling ass when the trail opens up
    - Longer bumpstops in the rear: Nuff said
    - The motor smokes a little more than I care for, it's got power but the smoke bothers me. I'm either going to yank it and rebuild it, or look for a decent motor to build and then swap out later.

But overall I'm stoked with it.
    Attached Files
    1973 Bronco Ranger - 302, C4, Dana 20, Dana 44 front, 9 inch rear, 3.55 gears, 35" MTR's on Allied Beadlocks, 3.5" Wild Horses lift

Re: Shake down run

That looks like a great place just go get out and enjoy the views. How far is it from your place in G-ville? Or rather, how far is it from Hwy50 and 89 in Meyers? Do you plan on going again soon? If so, I would love to tag along on on the trip if you dont mind

Justin
    1969 EB, 88 Speed density EFI 302, HP D44 front w/ARB, Radius arm long arm, NP435, D20, D60 w/power lock rear, 4link rear with 4" stretch, Front and rear bumpers made by me.

Comment

If i'm out there by myself and not worrying about anyone hanging me up, I can make it to the river in under 30 minutes and the hotsprings in under an hour from my place in g-ville. Great local stomping ground.

Hell yah that would be sweet to have a weekend run with some bronco guys up here. From Meyers to my place is about 30 minutes in my bronco. Also, once hwy 4/deer valley and slick rock open up that would be a great place to get together too.
      1973 Bronco Ranger - 302, C4, Dana 20, Dana 44 front, 9 inch rear, 3.55 gears, 35" MTR's on Allied Beadlocks, 3.5" Wild Horses lift

Comment

Looks like a great time!
        Jack
        73 Bronco 302 C4 3 1/2 2" 5.14 9"/d44 d20 37"

Comment

Good stuff. I really dig that FJ55!
          WT 4x4
          91' One Ton Bronco
          1971 Bronco
          9/11/01 Never Forget

Comment

Never seen a topless FJ55 before... Its like an early 4-runner!
            Glad to hear your rig's holding its own out there. Looks like a great trail for working the bugs out. I either need to finish my hard top or wait for warmer weather but that looks like a fun place to go explore.

I hear you with wanting Hwy 4 to open. The road to Utica Reservoir (exit side of slickrock) usually gets plowed on June 1. If that's the case, I will be there June 6th! Slickrock is a pretty mild trail and would be a great place to see what falls off my rig!
            1970 Bronco
            My build thread

Comment

There are parts of slickrock that may not be so mild-If it is going to fall off it may help.
              Jack

Originally posted by CityHick View Post
              Never seen a topless FJ55 before... Its like an early 4-runner!
              Glad to hear your rig's holding its own out there. Looks like a great trail for working the bugs out. I either need to finish my hard top or wait for warmer weather but that looks like a fun place to go explore.

I hear you with wanting Hwy 4 to open. The road to Utica Reservoir (exit side of slickrock) usually gets plowed on June 1. If that's the case, I will be there June 6th! Slickrock is a pretty mild trail and would be a great place to see what falls off my rig!

Comment

Last time I had vapor lock it actually wasn't vapor lock, I had a clogged fuel filter. Don't forget about those. You should have seen all the diet coke cans that I had wrapped around my fuel lines for nothing.
                Marc D.
                If you drive with rage, drive a cage.

Comment

Originally posted by earlybronco72 View Post
                  Last time I had vapor lock it actually wasn't vapor lock, I had a clogged fuel filter. Don't forget about those. You should have seen all the diet coke cans that I had wrapped around my fuel lines for nothing.
                  baaaahahahahahaha Great story!

I have a clear fuel filter that is up on the frame rail and can be seen from the driver fender area. That was the first thing I thought was that. Pulled it apart and cleaned it. No dice. I'm going to start a tech thread for some advice from everyone.

Comment

Count me in for any Slick rock runs. I love it up there. I was even considering getting an out of state fishing license..........then I looked up the cost. OUCH! hahaha

Comment

I have never caught a single fish in Utica, nor have I spoken to anybody who's had great luck fishing there... but that doesn't stop me from trying. Maybe my dog chases the fish away! I've actually seen him "point" fish from the shore there before though - crazy dog!

I've been going up there every summer for at least the last 10 years. You got me looking at my pix of that area and now you've got me wishing that it was spring already!

Definitely have to meet up there sometime. And I'm well aware there are parts of that trail that are not so mild... but its not hard core the whole way through.
                      Attached Files
                      1970 Bronco
                      My build thread

Comment

Yep!

Originally posted by Action View Post
                        There are parts of slickrock that may not be so mild-If it is going to fall off it may help.
                        Jack
                        68 Slightly modified
                        67 LUBR once again
                        61 Willy Wagon

Comment

We set up a Field Day site (3rd weekend in June every year) from Utica one year. We had 2 HF and 1 VHF/UHF stations on battery/solar. It was fun.
                          Relativity: Where ever you go, there you are.

Comment

Would be a great place to camp and fish this spring/summer.
                            Jack

Originally posted by CityHick View Post
                            I have never caught a single fish in Utica, nor have I spoken to anybody who's had great luck fishing there... but that doesn't stop me from trying. Maybe my dog chases the fish away! I've actually seen him "point" fish from the shore there before though - crazy dog!

I've been going up there every summer for at least the last 10 years. You got me looking at my pix of that area and now you've got me wishing that it was spring already!

Definitely have to meet up there sometime. And I'm well aware there are parts of that trail that are not so mild... but its not hard core the whole way through.

Comment

Yeah, no luck catching fish outta Utica either, but Spicer is another story! Familyman and I have been talking about a "Triple Trail Run" from Hwy 50 to Hwy 4.....maybe it could turnout to be another NCB get together/run....
                              '88 347 roller, Exploder EFI, WH Shorties, NP435, twin stick D-20 with Tera lows, 44 4:56's w/ARB chromos and CTMs, 9" Detroit, cust dash, wiring and STILL ALMOST "DONE"!...

Comment

Working...
                              X