Slickrock - Memorial Day 2009

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slickrock - Memorial Day 2009

I extended the Memorial Day weekend a couple days and went camping up by Slickrock near Utica Reservoir. I went up with fellow NCBer and long time friend "BadToTheBone" (Mark) and a couple of our friends whose rigs are currently down - they rode as passengers. We set up a base camp at the Utica Reservoir end of the trail, by the "last" obstacle before the bridge.

As this trip was both for fun and for testing my rig out, we spent the first couple of days hiking, shooting, and enjoying the high country wilderness. We also played around a bit on some small rock obstacles mainly to verify that all critical systems were operational and reliable. Finally on Sunday afternoon we decided to run the trail, backwards from Utica to Lake Alpine.

The trail overall went very easy for both of our rigs, neither of us had any problem on the rocks or water crossings (however Mark got water inside his rig up to the floorboards - I stayed nice and dry). The bulk of the trail went extremely smooth and easy thanks in part to our friend and long time FJ40 owner spotting us through the rough spots. No body damage was sustained, and no mechanical failures were experienced by either of us.

About 1/2 mile from Lake Alpine, as we were starting to run out of daylight, we encountered a considerable amount of snow on the trail (up to 4 feet) which took us completely by surprise, as nobody who we spoke to about the trail mentioned it. This is where the fun began.

First, Mark got stuck (and I mean STUCK) in a snow drift. We couldn't get him out backwards or forwards stacking rocks under his tires and digging him out. A nice guy in a jeep with a winch came by and offered his support after seeing our attempts at extraction by strap failed. He was able to winch him out, but in the shuffle I ended up leading. Not 5 minutes later I got into a hairy situation when I slid sideways while climbing an snow drift, leaning my Bronco onto a tree. Fortunately the cage hit the tree trunk and not anything else - however as you'll see in the pictures, the trunk was right in the middle of my door frame so I was stuck literally between my windshied frame and door pillar. At first I thought the only way out was body damage - but after we lowered the windshield frame and Mark spotted a possible way out by cranking hard and some careful manuvering, I got off the tree, then leaned my BC Broncos quarter panel guard against the same tree. That guard paid for itself that day and I sustained no damage to the sheet metal at all, and only minor scratches to the cage and quarter guard.

Once we got clear of that obstacle, it was smooth sailing aside from some VERY tippy sidehill obstacles. Slow and easy, I made it through unscathed. By that time the sun was down and it was COLD. Wearing shorts and a tee shirt, we hurried back to camp where a hot dinner and raging campfire were waiting.

This came out a bit longer than planned, but I am still on such a high from my first wheeling trip as a driver, that I just had to share it with everybody. The rig is running and wheeling great, and I am ready to hit some more trails!

And of course - here are the pictures for your viewing pleasure...
    -Tony
    Attached Files
    1970 Bronco
    My build thread

Re: Slickrock - Memorial Day 2009

I Can't Wait.
    Sounds like a great shake down run...
    1970 w/89 5.0, np 435/203/205, 456/locker/ARB, 4 wheel disc brakes w/hydroboost, 5.5" lift w/ext.radius arms, 3" bod lift, RS 9000's, tilt column, Hydro assist steering, 39.5" pitbull's on H1's. 4 link rear suspension. Hey brother, can you spare some change, I need parts....

Comment

Nice write up and good pics too
      Originally posted by TBS-POPS
      After a huge amount of reflection, I have determined that what I saw in ukiah was in fact Brians bronco. I was also informed by my wife that she infact heard it run!!

Comment

Originally posted by blwngsket View Post
        I Can't Wait.
        Sounds like a great shake down run...
        I can't wait to get back! I think the next trip is going to be Deer Valley to Slickrock. I really enjoy camping by Utica Reservoir and now that I can wheel nearby, it makes it even better!

-Tony
        1970 Bronco
        My build thread

Comment

Looks and sounds like you had a great time Tony. I'm so happy for you to finally get to reap the rewards of all of your hard work. My BC quarter guards have more than paid for themselves many times over!

Your Bronco looks great on the trail! Now you need to come down here and ride some of our local trails with us.

Comment

looking good!
            WT 4x4
            91' One Ton Bronco
            1971 Bronco
            9/11/01 Never Forget

Comment

Sweet! Sure wish I could work on mine. Great write up and pics.
              Vacaville, Ca
              67 EB - D44, BB 9" (4:56's), front discs, Wristed arm, 5.5" + 2" BL, 37" MTR's on Hellcats, 302/NP435/D20, Bilsteins, Mastercraft Rubicons w/4pt's

Comment

Originally posted by crawlin68 View Post
                Looks and sounds like you had a great time Tony. I'm so happy for you to finally get to reap the rewards of all of your hard work. My BC quarter guards have more than paid for themselves many times over!
                Your Bronco looks great on the trail! Now you need to come down here and ride some of our local trails with us.
                Thanks Patrick! I would really like to run some of the trails in your area sometime. You need to come up and run some trails up here too!
                1970 Bronco
                My build thread

Comment

Sweet writeup & pics Tony! I HAVE GOT TO GET MY RIG BACK ON THE TRAIL!!!!!!
                  sigpicRoad trips on an island get boring after the 1st lap...

Comment

Looks good Tony!
                    Can't wait to get you on some of the fun spots on the Rubicon!
                    Mark Harris
                    71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

Looks like you should be think'n about fill'n that hole in your front bumper with one of those cable wind up thingies !! Glad ya had a good trip T.
                      72 sport/exp.,TBI 302,NP435,4.56 Powrlok/ARB in Full Width's.5.5" CAGE lift w/arms,2'' bl,37's, rescued from the concrete jungle (L.A.) NEVER DONE!!! Sold to buy a Boat, Now Broncoless.....Now it's fast water,smooth women and cold beer!! toad jeep owner now,,,,,, sorry

ALL MY DRINKING BUDDIES HAVE A SEVERE BRONCO PROBLEM !!!

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71
                      BULLSHIT! I love your meat in my mouth
                      RIP MARK BECK RIP MY FRIEND! RIP GIZMO,My little Buddy.

Comment

Originally posted by welndmn View Post
                        Looks good Tony!
                        he he looks great OT
                        68 Slightly modified
                        67 LUBR once again
                        61 Willy Wagon

Comment

Nice report and pics!
                          Jack
                          73 Bronco 302 C4 3 1/2 2" 5.14 9"/d44 d20 37"

Comment

Originally posted by TBS-POPS View Post
                            Looks like you should be think'n about fill'n that hole in your front bumper with one of those cable wind up thingies !! Glad ya had a good trip T.
                            A cable winder is definitely moving up the list...

Originally posted by welndmn View Post
                            Looks good Tony!
                            I have no problem taking bypasses and easier lines... I'll leave the "extreme" stuff to you "seasoned veterans". I am not a trailer puller and thus my rig needs to get home in one piece .

4-wheeling to me is not so much about scaring the piss out of myself as it is camping in areas not accessible by my full size pickup... This being said, I definitely enjoyed playing around on the rocks!
                            1970 Bronco
                            My build thread

Comment

Originally posted by CityHick View Post
                              I have no problem taking bypasses and easier lines... I'll leave the "extreme" stuff to you "seasoned veterans". I am not a trailer puller and thus my rig needs to get home in one piece .
                              the Rubimaster agrees!

Looks like all that time in the garage worked out. The Pics look too cool
                              {o===o}
                              Originally posted by TBS-POPS
                              EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....
                              Originally posted by CityHick
                              I don't give probabilities in percentage format anymore

Comment

Working...
                              X