X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Highlander why do you have to tease us

You know you have started something, Thanks

FM <><
    Well it's only fair so many of you guys have inspired me to improve and spend money on my Bronco. My next project will be a bumper that will closely resemble the few you have made.
    69, 342 EFI, C4, NP203, D20, 4.5" SL, 2" BL, 4.88 9" 35 spline ARB, 4.88 HP D44, WAH, ARB, CTM's, front disc , 37 x 14.50 Toyo MT, Ram Assist, and rear 4-link

Comment

• I received 2 of the 4 new shocks I ordered, these were in stock the fronts are being built. I went with Bilstein 14" short bodies w/ remote reervoirs. Rear valving is 275/78 and front will be 360/80. I'm not comfortable clamping the reservoirs on the shocks, because it close to the exhaust and they are likely to be hit by rocks. So they are strapped to the frame for now but I will mount them to the braces that will extend out to the corners of the bumper when I get it built.
      Attached Files
      69, 342 EFI, C4, NP203, D20, 4.5" SL, 2" BL, 4.88 9" 35 spline ARB, 4.88 HP D44, WAH, ARB, CTM's, front disc , 37 x 14.50 Toyo MT, Ram Assist, and rear 4-link

Comment

• Ooooooo...new shinny parts! How do they ride? Can you tell any difference vs. the Ranchos?

Looks like you might have to move your upper mounts up a little higher? There doesn't appear to be very much shock shaft showing for up travel of the suspension. Or is it just an optical illusion in the picture?
        Last edited by crawlin68; 07-27-2007, 03:31 PM.

Comment

• The up travel is close, I flexed it all the way and the "taddle tail" O-ring stayed about 3/4" of an inch away from bottoming out. On the droop side it is about 1" from topping out. If I get softer springs that compress more I will have go through the floor or below the axle and a 16" travel shock. I will let you know about the ride after this trip!
          Last edited by highlander; 07-27-2007, 04:33 PM.

Comment

• I can tell you the ride of those shocks coupled with the coil springs will be nice and controlled. You will not regret going with a monotube design.

I had the MX6 on mine (rear) and when the BC rockers tore in half. I bent the shiznit out of them and replaced 'em whith some on the shelf ProCrap Explorers and I sure miss my MX-6ers.
            “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

• Just got back from spending the weekend at Coyote Lake. the new shocks work great, I can't wait to get the fronts. I didn't notice much of a diffrence crawling through the rocks, but when you start moving a bit especially on the dirt roads and flatter sections of the trail it made a huge imrovement.

Comment

• Originally posted by Delta 4 Wheel

I had the MX6 on mine (rear) and when the BC rockers tore in half. I bent the shiznit out of them and replaced 'em whith some on the shelf ProCrap Explorers and I sure miss my MX-6ers.
                You had a set of these also. Were they light blue? That was the color of the ones I tore in half. Trashed my shocks also.
                Sorry for the off topic.
                Marc D.
                If you drive with rage, drive a cage.

Comment

• Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Delta 4 Wheel

You had a set of these also. Were they light blue? That was the color of the ones I tore in half. Trashed my shocks also.
                  Sorry for the off topic.
                  Are you guys talking about the leaf spring rockers breaking?

Comment

• Don't you love it when parts come earlier then expected!

My front shocks came today, Lee from Raceshock said to expect 2-3 weeks. So I had to install them and take it for a test drive after work today.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Yeah, not very often that parts come in ahead of schedule! Nice! So......how is the ride now with all 4 new shocks? Noticeable difference over the Ranchos?

Comment

• Originally posted by earlybronco72
                        Sorry for the off topic.
                        highjack on:

Yep, the blue ones are the ones that were breaking. I just damn near rolled. I was down the street from my shop, hit the throttle and all went to hell. Chuck really came through. I got a new HD out put, a new driveline, and 2 new shocks and he paid for half of it. I was suppose to send the torn rockers in for a new set but I never did.

Highjack complete...
                        “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

• Yeah, not very often that parts come in ahead of schedule! Nice! So......how is the ride now with all 4 new shocks? Noticeable difference over the Ranchos?
                          I didn't get a chance to drive much, I just went up the hill to check my water storage tanks and then down the Road about a mile and back. The ride is nice, it wasn't bad with the Rancho's dialed in either. The biggest difference with the Bilstein's (with this valving) that I notice is that the compression dampening is stiffer but the rebound dampening stays lighter. With the Rancho's to get the compression where you want it the rebound is way to stiff and kills the ride, so you have to compromise.
                          Last edited by highlander; 11-08-2007, 10:23 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Delta 4 Wheel
                            highjack on:

Yep, the blue ones are the ones that were breaking. I just damn near rolled. I was down the street from my shop, hit the throttle and all went to hell. Chuck really came through. I got a new HD out put, a new driveline, and 2 new shocks and he paid for half of it. I was suppose to send the torn rockers in for a new set but I never did.

Highjack complete...
                            Wow, you made out better than I did. All I got was the price of the rockers back from him when I sent them back. I told him I didn't want another pair. He ended up recalling them. Oh well, he is a stand up guy, and I was happy with how he dealt with the situation.
                            Steve, I just have to say your rig is looking great, and I'm glad to hear that you are liking the changes. I know I'm a lot more comfortable on the trail knowing that I'm not going to wrap up the leafs and break a ujoint. It's nice having one less thing to think about. Keep up the good work.
                            Marc D.
                            If you drive with rage, drive a cage.

Comment

• Nice work, I really like the way you have set up your drivetrain. I'm thinking about 4 linking mine now!
                              Are you going to pull those pistols or whistle dixie?

Comment

• The other night thanks to the help of Crawlin68 and the use of ROKDWLR's bender I bent some 2" tube for my rear bumper and a few pieces to get me started on a family cage addition (this will happen later).
                                Here is a few pictures of the tubes for the bumper we bent clamped somewhat in place and my rear corners bobbed to allow it wrap under the quarters. I also posted up a sketch of what I'm shooting for. I will be using the Rockstomper hinges to have two swing out racks one for a spare tire and one for a Jerry can, possibly 2. Please let me know what you think and add any suggestions or criticism.
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by highlander; 08-10-2007, 11:23 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X