Highlander's Bronco Upgrades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quote:
    .....Don't mind the big dent in my tailgate one of my employees drove a quad into it

Sure looking good. How do you like the latch? That dent makes me mad, and it's not even my rig.

Galen
    The latches are from McMaster-Carr, it took my a while to figure out how to make them fit without hitting the tailgate when its down. But the gates close nice and snug now.
    One of these days when I am in a body work mood I will fix that tailgate and my right front fender.
    69, 342 EFI, C4, NP203, D20, 4.5" SL, 2" BL, 4.88 9" 35 spline ARB, 4.88 HP D44, WAH, ARB, CTM's, front disc , 37 x 14.50 Toyo MT, Ram Assist, and rear 4-link

Comment

• Nice work on the bumper....sweet design.
      “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

• Originally posted by highlander
        The latches are from McMaster-Carr, it took my a while to figure out how to make them fit without hitting the tailgate when its down. But the gates close nice and snug now.
        One of these days when I am in a body work mood I will fix that tailgate and my right front fender.

The dent just gives you more clearance for the latches.

Comment

• The dent just gives you more clearance for the latches.
          That's what made it tough, I couldn't just drop the tail gate and see if it would clear, I had to figure in where a straight tailgate would end up.
          Last edited by highlander; 08-17-2007, 07:47 PM.
          69, 342 EFI, C4, NP203, D20, 4.5" SL, 2" BL, 4.88 9" 35 spline ARB, 4.88 HP D44, WAH, ARB, CTM's, front disc , 37 x 14.50 Toyo MT, Ram Assist, and rear 4-link

Comment

• I spent another couple hours on my bumper/tire rack after work today. I made the braces back to the frame, they bolt on with 5/8" bolts. The shock reservoirs will clamp to the top of the braces. Built the tire carrier, I used the end of a Currie axle with stripped splines (the 28 sp. side gear broke in my Detroit years ago.) I knocked out one of the studs drilled the hole to 5/8" and welded the locking end of a receiver lock pin to keep the spare from being stolen easily. I pressed of the bearing and retainer on the axle and then turned it down enough to fit a piece 1.75" x.120 wall over tightly and welded that piece on. The 1.175" slides right into the 2" on the rack and will be bolted to allow adjustment for different wheels and tires.
            Now I just need to build the gas can rack and paint it. Do you think I should make it hold two cans ore one?
            Attached Files
            Last edited by highlander; 11-01-2007, 09:47 AM.

Comment

• That is looking sweet.
              On the gas can issue, do you ever take two cans when you go out? If so, I would think building it for two, or making it convertable to hold two would be what I would do. You seem to be making everything else have the possibility of change. Why not the gas can holder?
              I really like the extra supports on the corners.
              Marc D.
              If you drive with rage, drive a cage.

Comment

• That's a good idea for security on the tire carrier. Sure is looking good. Those braces look like they will really stiffen up the tire carrier.

.....Do you think I should make it hold two cans or one?
                I'd say two. You'll always have the option to just take one can with you.
                Originally posted by 71BRONCO71 at Buck Island 6/25/11
                I can do that so much better myself..........1, 2, 3 GOODNIGHT!!!

Comment

• Looking very nice!
                  1970 Bronco
                  My build thread

Comment

• I don't know that I would need two cans of gas but it would be nice to have the option, I guess I could always carry a water and gas can.

Here is a picture with tire in place:
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Looks sweet! and I say two cans, one gas, one potable water
                      Rick-
                      68 Slightly modified
                      67 LUBR once again
                      61 Willy Wagon

Comment

• I just ordered a NATO potable water can to match my fuel can. Here is where I found it, it is back ordered one week.
                        http://www.landroverparts.us/landrov...jerryCans.html
                        I also bought a 10L can to carry coolant water mix 2.5 gallons should be the perfect amount to completely refill my cooling system.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by highlander; 08-22-2007, 08:29 AM.

Comment

• Highlander, do you plan on adding additional support at the hub? I would be concerned with all the weight of the tire working on that joint over time. Maybe just a couple of triangle gussets for more weld area on both the hub and main leg of the carrier. Just a thought. Otherwise, looks nice, keep up the good work!

Justin
                          Attached Files
                          1969 EB, 88 Speed density EFI 302, HP D44 front w/ARB, Radius arm long arm, NP435, D20, D60 w/power lock rear, 4link rear with 4" stretch, Front and rear bumpers made by me.

Comment

• Did you notice the one from the top to the sleeve? Also the tire rests against the hoop. do you still think it needs more?
                            Attached Files

Comment

• I misread your post and missed the circle in your picture. I was considering something like that, but I have been holding off to see if I can fit a high lift mount there wthout it sticking up and catching trees.

Comment

• Thinking I'll order two and spouts, then paint one red when it gets here, gets me around CARB cra*p

Originally posted by highlander
                                I just ordered a NATO potable water can to match my fuel can. Here is where I found it, it is back ordered one week.
                                http://www.landroverparts.us/landrov...jerryCans.html
                                I also bought a 10L can to carry coolant water mix 2.5 gallons should be the perfect amount to completely refill my cooling system.
                                68 Slightly modified
                                67 LUBR once again
                                61 Willy Wagon

Comment

Working...
                                X