Highlander's Bronco Upgrades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by highlander
    I misread your post and missed the circle in your picture. I was considering something like that, but I have been holding off to see if I can fit a high lift mount there wthout it sticking up and catching trees.
    Maybe the hi lift mount could double as the gussett???
    1969 EB, 88 Speed density EFI 302, HP D44 front w/ARB, Radius arm long arm, NP435, D20, D60 w/power lock rear, 4link rear with 4" stretch, Front and rear bumpers made by me.

Comment

• Thinking I'll order two and spouts, then paint one red when it gets here, gets me around CARB cra*p

Quote:
      Originally Posted by highlander
      I just ordered a NATO potable water can to match my fuel can. Here is where I found it, it is back ordered one week.
      http://www.landroverparts.us/landro...OjerryCans.html
      I also bought a 10L can to carry coolant water mix 2.5 gallons should be the perfect amount to completely refill my cooling system.

Comment

• Well I am sure some of you recall my enormous tranny cooler install a while back (starts at post #45 in this thread). I added a picture for those who don't. Well while it worked on the trail to keep my tranny around 200° it wouldn't keep my tranny cool on the road at highway speeds. When climbing the HWY 168 4-lanes it would get up over 230° and just driving on flat highways it would climb above 220°. It didn't seem to effect my engine temps at all being in front of the radiator.

So I yanked that monster tube and fin cooler out and installed a stacked plate cooler from B&M (like I should have the first time). It is model #70274 and is 11" x 11" x 1.5" (about 65% the size of the old one). I installed this the day before my Dusy Ershim trip and I am very impressed how much cooler my tranny stays. On the trail it never exceeded 180° and while driving up the HWY 168 4-lanes in 95° temps the tranny peaked at 185°. The engine still runs the same cool temperatures. I don't run the tranny through the radiator just through this one cooler.
        So now I am very happy and my old but freshly rebuilt C4 should be too. Hopefully I won't have to drive out any more trails in reverse
        Sorry, I didn't get pictures during the install, it was a last minute project before the trip. I mounted it the same as the old cooler with 3/4" x 1/8" aluminum straps from the top to the bottom of the core support.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by highlander; 09-23-2007, 11:07 AM.
        69, 342 EFI, C4, NP203, D20, 4.5" SL, 2" BL, 4.88 9" 35 spline ARB, 4.88 HP D44, WAH, ARB, CTM's, front disc , 37 x 14.50 Toyo MT, Ram Assist, and rear 4-link

Comment

• Your bumper looks great. That is almost the exact design that I wanted to build. The wrap around corners are key. I was going to try to use protofab's camlock for the locking mechanism. I dont know how it could be done but I liked the idea anyway. Keep your gas can rack adaptable for a cooler of necessary. Good work!
          71 Bronco
          EFI, ZF, Atlas 4.3, 35" BFG's, Explorer serp, hydroboost, 4 wheel disks, Lars Bars, Protofab bumpers, Warn winch,
          Mastercraft seats.

Build thread

ZF swap

Comment

• Works has been slow so I finally got back to work on my rear bumper jerry can rack this afternoon. This also gave me an excuse to use my new to me tube bender.
            Here is a few pictures of the tubes I bent up today placed how I think I want them. I still need to cut and notch one for across the back, some for in between the hoops and something to mount a license plate.
            I wanted to leave the bottom back corner open so I could put the water jug in upside down with a valve on the spout. I'll have to add a vent tube inside to the top so it will flow easy, but should make it easy to get water without lifting 5 gallons.
            Any suggestions?
            Attached Files
            Last edited by highlander; 10-31-2007, 04:23 PM.
            69, 342 EFI, C4, NP203, D20, 4.5" SL, 2" BL, 4.88 9" 35 spline ARB, 4.88 HP D44, WAH, ARB, CTM's, front disc , 37 x 14.50 Toyo MT, Ram Assist, and rear 4-link

Comment

• Nice, nice, nice. Man do I need a bender.
              1970 w/89 5.0, np 435/203/205, 456/locker/ARB, 4 wheel disc brakes w/hydroboost, 5.5" lift w/ext.radius arms, 3" bod lift, RS 9000's, tilt column, Hydro assist steering, 39.5" pitbull's on H1's. 4 link rear suspension. Hey brother, can you spare some change, I need parts....

Comment

• Nice work Steve,

That JD2 is a nice bender, isn't it? Which dies do you have? I've got 2", 1.75" and a 1", all round dies. I'd like a 1" square for cooler and gas can racks.

Looks like you've got some apples on your hands.
                Originally posted by 71BRONCO71 at Buck Island 6/25/11
                I can do that so much better myself..........1, 2, 3 GOODNIGHT!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by blwngsket View Post
                  Nice, nice, nice. Man do I need a bender.
                  I told you, come by the house when you've got your rig running.

Comment

• Originally posted by 720Racer View Post
                    Nice work Steve,

That JD2 is a nice bender, isn't it? Which dies do you have? I've got 2", 1.75" and a 1", all round dies. I'd like a 1" square for cooler and gas can racks.

Looks like you've got some apples on your hands.
                    It's been great so far. I have 1", 1.5", 1.75", and 2" dies. It's actually a M-tech bender basically a JD2 copy and uses the JD2 dies.
                    As for the apples that is only from the tree by the garage. We started picking my orchard today and filled one fruit bin, the orchard usually fills 2-3 but this was a good year and we might fill 4. We will probably finish picking and start pressing cider this weekend. You can also see the apple grinder and press in the photos. I ferment the juice in to hard cider. I typically make about 45 gallons a year. I'll have to share some with you one of these days.
                    Last edited by highlander; 10-31-2007, 09:56 PM.

Comment

• ...I'll have to share some with you one of these days.
                      Sounds good.......

Comment

• ohh hell i dont want to impose but i would love some cider..hard cider is even better....
                        Ill pay...

A
                        KK6DAD
                        70 Miles to the Rubicon!

Comment

• His cider is most excell-ante'!!

Nice work on the can rack too!!

Comment

• Originally posted by 720Racer View Post
                            I told you, come by the house when you've got your rig running.
                            I'll be comming by soon.
                            Need to figure out how to get some of that cider up north.
                            1970 w/89 5.0, np 435/203/205, 456/locker/ARB, 4 wheel disc brakes w/hydroboost, 5.5" lift w/ext.radius arms, 3" bod lift, RS 9000's, tilt column, Hydro assist steering, 39.5" pitbull's on H1's. 4 link rear suspension. Hey brother, can you spare some change, I need parts....

Comment

• Originally posted by blwngsket View Post
                              Need to figure out how to get some of that cider up north.
                              We want to run the Swamp Lake Trail this year so if you kick Delta's but into gear with his exhaust install and brake booster fix I will send you a bottle!

Comment

• Originally posted by highlander View Post
                                We want to run the Swamp Lake Trail this year so if you kick Delta's but into gear with his exhaust install and brake booster fix I will send you a bottle!
                                I may work ont he boost today. I was talking with pat yesterday and if I get the bost squared away, I plan to tow it down there and work on the exhaust in pats garage...

ooh, and for your comment above...
                                “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

Working...
                                X