Rear Bumper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Bumper

Well I had to take the day off work to go to the Doctor. Got done early so I though it would be a good time to start on my rear bumper and tire rack. Cut a pc. of 3x4 .188 wall for the back will taper it down to 2" with some raparounds out of 2x3 .188 wall for side protection Will put a 2" hitch tube in it for towing Ect. Using 2x4 .25 wall to go in to the frame to mount it. Tire mount is a 1 1/4 trailer spindle with a custom turned hub. Tire mount will be some kind of A frame Im still looking for a good way to secure it any ideas? with a spot for a rack.
    Last edited by Bronco Brian; 01-23-2007, 02:43 PM.
    Originally posted by TBS-POPS
    After a huge amount of reflection, I have determined that what I saw in ukiah was in fact Brians bronco. I was also informed by my wife that she infact heard it run!!

I like how protofab does it. Pretty simple way to mount it. Or, you can buy these retro fit kits, 175 for tire and 375 for cooler/jerry can rack and be done with it...
    Attached Files
    “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

I really like the trailer axle for hinges on a rack. They are much stronger then the WH design and can be greased or rebuilt. I would suggest that you install both hinges/axle splidles if you are doing a tire carrier on one side and a jerry can/ rack on the other and then run a single piece of 2x2 square tubing from one to the other. Then you could use the same 2x2 to make a post to mount the tire too, kinda like an upside down "L"off of that tube. Then for $10 you can order a BTF cnc'd tire mount and weld that onto the end of the "L" and you have your tire in place. Now with the tire you want plus some extra room you can decide how big the rest of your rack can be. Once all is set/tacked in place then cut that 2x2 tube that goes from one hinge to the other and now everything should line up strait and you can then add whatever type of latch down device you want. Got it?? If you look at the build thread on the rear bumper for Mr.R's build I am doing exactly that. I will probably make my own latch but we will see soon. Hope that helps, FM <><
      If you are only going to use a spindle on one side then you could drill a 1" hole in the opposite end, sleeve it and then drill and tap the bumper for a 3/4" bolt, I did that for mine and it works great and doesn't rattle. If you are going to open/close it alot check out this thread they have some good ideas.
      http://offroadfabnet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1466
      FM <><
      Last edited by Familyman; 01-23-2007, 04:22 PM.
      72EB, one-ton fab project that will never end

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
      1 Cor 16:13-14

Comment

Originally posted by Delta 4 Wheel
        I like how protofab does it. Pretty simple way to mount it. Or, you can buy these retro fit kits, 175 for tire and 375 for cooler/jerry can rack and be done with it...
        Where did you find these pics and prices? I like it!! I may add these on to my rear bumper build. I didn't realize I could get these separately.

Thanks

Aaron
        KK6DAD
        70 Miles to the Rubicon!

Comment

www.protofab4x4.com
          “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

Yeah thanks ass.. I still cant find them.. OHH Now I put my glass down.. I see I see.
            A
            KK6DAD
            70 Miles to the Rubicon!

Comment

Originally posted by Daddy4zack
              Yeah thanks ass.. I still cant find them.. OHH Now I put my glass down.. I see I see.
              A
              Nice quick edit numb nuts...

http://protofab4x4.com/products.php?ID=02

Want me to install it for you too?

Comment

What do you guys think about using something like this to latch it?

https://reidecom.reidtool.com/xephr/...UP_PARENT=3811

Put it on the end and push it in makee a V for it to go into
                ( for lack of better words ) plus them you mite make it ajustable
                Originally posted by TBS-POPS
                After a huge amount of reflection, I have determined that what I saw in ukiah was in fact Brians bronco. I was also informed by my wife that she infact heard it run!!

Comment

Ha I just bought clamps like those for my vacume former

I like those parts from atoz fab cool link.
                  Last edited by RandyatBBY; 01-23-2007, 05:25 PM.
                  1974EB 302v8, NP435, dana 20 twinstick, dana 44, 9 inch Detriot Locker's, 4.88 gears, front disk, Rockbox, wild horses 4.5 inch lift, 4 wheel Warn Full Floater, 35 Super Swamp Bogers.

Comment

Originally posted by Bronco Brian
                    What do you guys think about using something like this to latch it?

https://reidecom.reidtool.com/xephr/...UP_PARENT=3811

Put it on the end and push it in makee a V for it to go into
                    ( for lack of better words ) plus them you mite make it ajustable
                    Only thing they are a tention lock and could come loose under vibration unless bolted or something like that.
                    1974EB 302v8, NP435, dana 20 twinstick, dana 44, 9 inch Detriot Locker's, 4.88 gears, front disk, Rockbox, wild horses 4.5 inch lift, 4 wheel Warn Full Floater, 35 Super Swamp Bogers.

Comment

Nice quick edit numb nuts...

http://protofab4x4.com/products.php?ID=02

Want me to install it for you too?

Are we going to have to seperate the two of you?
                      72 Sport

Comment

Originally posted by lagox4
                        Are we going to have to seperate the two of you?
                        No.. I'm just walking around with a tire rack up my a$$ now..
                        A
                        KK6DAD
                        70 Miles to the Rubicon!

Comment

I got your old front bumper from you but theres no way in hell I'm buying that tire rack!
                          Joe

Comment

Working...
                          X