No announcement yet.

70 Sport resto/mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I didn't even think about that Pops... Maybe the bumper stays low.
    Proto-fab wants $374 for the cooler/can rack. I am not sure my fab skills are up to it but I want to build a rack for that side that will hold two gas cans and maybe a cooler too. That is a lot of weight to hang on a bumper so maybe the cooler can wait.

Santa Claus brought me two gerry cans (one blue, one red) that look a lot like the ones that Highlander has on his rack. I sure do need a tube bender...

Now for a little progress update. The dash is now painted black but I'm not sure that's the color it'll stay. I shot it with satin black laquer, its a decent finish but I'm debating whether to shoot it in orange like the rest of the rig. details...

I also started the chore of bundling my wiring harness into logical sections. The goal is to make the harness modular such that a few bolts and weatherpaks are all that stand between me and tearing certain components off in the future for easy service and modification. Thinking that the dash, engine, interior, and rear sections seem like decent breaking points. Now to find some kind of bulkhead connector that I like.

The great serpentine conversion will be underway soon too. This nickel and dime stuff is getting old... I just want to get to the point where I can drive the thing. Next time the temperature and humidity cooperate I'll be shooting the rest of the body panels orange.
    1970 Bronco
    My build thread

Comment

• Well it still doesn't look like much but I have not posted a picture in a while. I've got the carb all hooked up, fuel line run, fuel pump installed, miscellaneous vacuum hoses routed, serp pulleys mounted, e-brake is (almost) functional, and I've started untangling the new wiring harness.
      I should have a new radiator installed this week and I will start routing the wiring harness this week.

Driveshafts, a brake booster and lines, wiring, steering linkages and a PS pump are about all that's between me and driving the beast (plus painting the rest of the pieces and final assembly)...
      Attached Files
      1970 Bronco
      My build thread

Comment

• lookin good! I may have to bring a camera with me when I come get the skid plate. I need to see where to run all the lines and hoses. Now that you've stated all that is needed to drive it something else will be coming up.
        Vacaville, Ca
        67 EB - D44, BB 9" (4:56's), front discs, Wristed arm, 5.5" + 2" BL, 37" MTR's on Hellcats, 302/NP435/D20, Bilsteins, Mastercraft Rubicons w/4pt's

Comment

• Thanks for the vote of confidence Jeff... but you are right. I realized the list is a bit longer already. Wheels, tires, steering column (if I ever find a suitable donor) and I know the list goes on.
          I know that I will be making a trip to Elk Grove sometime in February so maybe we could meet up there or somewhere inbetween if you don't make it down sooner.
          1970 Bronco
          My build thread

Comment

• Who Hoo! The engine looks great!

Comment

• Originally posted by TN1776 View Post
              ...breaking points. Now to find some kind of bulkhead connector that I like.
              Don't use a bulkhead connector as it becomes a single failure point. Use three or four weatherpacs instead, that way you can isolate certain circuits from the rest of the electrical.
              Relativity: Where ever you go, there you are.

Comment

• Originally posted by Spaceburger View Post
                Don't use a bulkhead connector as it becomes a single failure point. Use three or four weatherpacs instead, that way you can isolate certain circuits from the rest of the electrical.
                Point taken... That really makes a lot of sense. Must be the engineer in you talking (that and/or experience). Maybe 3 or 4 smaller bulkheads would do the trick as well.
                1970 Bronco
                My build thread

Comment

• Nice engine!!! One step closer!!!
                  Originally posted by 71BRONCO71 at Buck Island 6/25/11
                  I can do that so much better myself..........1, 2, 3 GOODNIGHT!!!

Comment

• I saw tony's bronco last weekend and it looks sharp.
                    thanks again for the brackets Tony
                    sigpicWhen I get home im gonna punch yo momma in the mouth

Comment

• The engine looks awesome. Hey, a friend has a f150 tilt column with shifter arm. If you pay shipping from La Jolla, he may just send it cheap, if not for free. It needs a new signal switch and a new bearing at the spline end of the shaft. I am pretty sure the shifter arm was pulled off and tossed because he went with a floor shifter. After market arm are available though.
                      “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

• Carl that may be the ticket. I do not need a shifter arm as I've got a manual tranny. Does anybody know whether you can get a smooth shift collar for these columns? Either way I'm interested. Let me know how to get in touch with your buddy...
                        1970 Bronco
                        My build thread

Comment

• I was just looking at some old pictures to answer some questions I had about where Ford put stuff under my hood and came across this picture... This is what I started out with a year and a half ago, no wonder I ripped everything out. What a rat's nest.
                          Attached Files
                          1970 Bronco
                          My build thread

Comment

• Well thanks to Bronco Brian and FFMDX I now have an alternator bracket and tensioner that fit the ol' 351 beautifully. I'm now on the prowl for a good deal on a 3G alternator, a PS pump and corresponding bracket for the other side.

If anybody is tuned in... post a picture of where you mounted your aftermarket fuse block. I loosely bolted my dash in place and started searching for a good spot to mount it. How easily I've forgotten how tight these little Broncos are for placing various things. A mojave heater is definitely in order to save space under the dash...
                            1970 Bronco
                            My build thread

Comment

• Originally posted by TN1776 View Post
                              Well thanks to Bronco Brian and FFMDX I now have an alternator bracket and tensioner that fit the ol' 351 beautifully. I'm now on the prowl for a good deal on a 3G alternator, a PS pump and corresponding bracket for the other side.

If anybody is tuned in... post a picture of where you mounted your aftermarket fuse block. I loosely bolted my dash in place and started searching for a good spot to mount it. How easily I've forgotten how tight these little Broncos are for placing various things. A mojave heater is definitely in order to save space under the dash...
                              I bought this polished 100 amp one wire alternator a while back and ended up not using it (new in box)because we went with a premier power welder instead (requires it's own alternator). It will bolt into a small 1G, 2G, or 3G bracket. I payed $129, make me a fair offer and it is yours.
                              69, 342 EFI, C4, NP203, D20, 4.5" SL, 2" BL, 4.88 9" 35 spline ARB, 4.88 HP D44, WAH, ARB, CTM's, front disc , 37 x 14.50 Toyo MT, Ram Assist, and rear 4-link

Comment

• Call RRRRAAAAAYYYY fron the CB board. I talked to him, told him what I was running and what I would like to run in the future. He built me a "custom" 3G for ~ $170-180. I think his web site is www.svapowerproducts.com.
                                '88 347 roller, Exploder EFI, WH Shorties, NP435, twin stick D-20 with Tera lows, 44 4:56's w/ARB chromos and CTMs, 9" Detroit, cust dash, wiring and STILL ALMOST "DONE"!...

Comment

Working...
                                X