X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 70 Sport resto/mod

Originally posted by earlybronco72 View Post
    Looks like work Tony. Good luck.
    Thanks Marc... I guess I'm a glutton for punishment!
    1970 Bronco
    My build thread

Comment

I have been working on my doors for the last month or so and I'm getting pretty close to being ready to shoot some orange paint on them. For parts as small as doors they've sure taken a lot of time - I really dislike sanding body filler!

Both of these doors were cut for small speakers, so I patched those holes and have been working to hide that repair with filler.

The door that's leaning against the wall is the door that I dropped a welding bottle onto a couple of years ago. I was able to pull the dent that caused out, and there's only a thin layer of filler on top of my repair. It's ready for high-build primer; the one on the saw horses is pretty close... I'm hoping that the layer of filler that's currently drying on it is the last one - it had some waviness that was hard to work out.

I've decided to delete the chrome window trim, at least for now. The trim I have is very scratched up and the scratches are too deep to polish out. I am very much looking forward to completing these doors and finding a top, hopefully one that's ready to run, to allow me to use my Bronco in all weather conditions more comfortably.
      Attached Files
      1970 Bronco
      My build thread

Comment

Man do I NOT envy you. I hate doing body work! But it looks like you are doing a great job Tony. They will look great orange!

Comment

Body work sucks, but if I ever want hard doors its inevitable. This is why I want to find a ready to run hard top. I have just enough paint for the doors and maybe a little extra, but not much.

I'm going to shoot the high-build in my garage soon, then shoot the sealer and orange paint at my dad's house since he has a nice big workshop...
          1970 Bronco
          My build thread

Comment

looking good...... I gotta come by a drool! Don't worry I'll clean up after myself.
            70 EB, Frame up project, NP 435/203/205, FW hp d44, fw 9", EFI 302, Crab cage, Hanson front and rear

Comment

Thanks Chris. Stop by sometime, my garage is a big mess and the Bronco is covered in about an inch of dust, but its there. The good news is that the beer is cold.
              1970 Bronco
              My build thread

Comment

As I mentioned in the "stuff" section I think I've identified the source of about 90% of my transfer case gear oil leak. The front output shaft end play is excessive which tells me something changed over the course of the last year of driving my rig. When I rebuilt the case both outputs were set with the correct end play tolerance, but now the front moves way too much. That happens to be where most of the oil is leaking from too, so I feel pretty confident that if I replace the o-ring and seal on the front output, and re-set the end play with proper shims I'll be in much better shape in terms of gear oil leaks.

I asked in the "stuff" section and I'll ask again here... does anybody have any extra shims from a rebuild kit that they could spare? I need to add a shim or two behind the cover opposite the front yoke on the t-case to set end play correctly. While I'm in there I'll see if anything else is suspect or worn out. This may not be as big of a chore as expected.
                1970 Bronco
                My build thread

Comment

Alrighty... the t-case is all back together and (hopefully) sealed up tight.
                  I measured the endplay on the front shaft and found it to be about .018" when spec calls for .003" to .005". I actually had to remove shims to tighten up the endplay, now it measures about .0035". I replaced the o-ring that sits at the end of the splines and ran a bead of RTV around the outside of the press-fit seal in the case. Redneck, yes, but I think it'll do. I also put a little RTV behind the washer that sits in the yoke, then re-torqed the yoke nut to 175 foot pounds. I'm cautiously optimistic.

I also installed an Xmas present, the WH aluminum D20 inspection cover. It's by far the "blingiest" thing under my rig!
                  1970 Bronco
                  My build thread

Comment

post pics of that clamp! i was tempted to grab one too after seeing it
                    {o===o}
                    Originally posted by TBS-POPS
                    EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....
                    Originally posted by CityHick
                    I don't give probabilities in percentage format anymore

Comment

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71 View Post
                      post pics of that clamp! i was tempted to grab one too after seeing it
                      I will once I find an extinguisher that fits in it... thinking about buying one of those $$ halotron extinguishers (or whatever they're called). It is a damn nice piece from WH!
                      1970 Bronco
                      My build thread

Comment

Originally posted by CityHick View Post
                        I also installed an Xmas present, the WH aluminum D20 inspection cover. It's by far the "blingiest" thing under my rig!
                        Hope we dont see it too easily on the trail Good progess Tony, I'm watching your dual batt post....
                        68 Slightly modified
                        67 LUBR once again
                        61 Willy Wagon

Comment

Originally posted by Broncrick View Post
                          Hope we dont see it too easily on the trail Good progess Tony, I'm watching your dual batt post....

I rolled out of bed a little late this AM, but after refill my t-case I may hit the store for some materials to make my dual battery tray. I too hope we don't see the underside of my rig on the trail too easily . However the wheelie I popped on Deer Valley sure was fun!
                          1970 Bronco
                          My build thread

Comment

An update for Rick - about the dual battery idea. It's not looking promising for me to put two batteries side by side in the factory location. Due to my custom radiator setup and retarded upper radiator hose routing, I simply don't have the space to put two batteries. I'm entertaining other ideas now, and I'm not sure which way I'm going to go. I may reorganize my underhood setup to make room for a second battery on the other side of the radiator, or I may come up with some other new, out of the box type idea. Going to have to think on this for a while... stay tuned!

Whatever I come up with, my main battery is going to get moved somehow, probably rotated 90 degrees. We'll see.

Thinking about a new hood and a few other minor changes...
                            1970 Bronco
                            My build thread

Comment

My two batts are tight with the RD rad, but they still fit. I had to cut out a section of my inner fender and replace it with angle, made my own tray and hold down w/out issues. I will, however, be moving them back behind the front seats like Patrick's in the future....

I'll be home tomorrow.
                              '88 347 roller, Exploder EFI, WH Shorties, NP435, twin stick D-20 with Tera lows, 44 4:56's w/ARB chromos and CTMs, 9" Detroit, cust dash, wiring and STILL ALMOST "DONE"!...

Comment

Have you thought about putting them under the passenger seat?
                                1971 BRONCO, 89 5.0 HO, NP435, D20, D44 CTM Superior Detroit , Currie big bearing housing 31 spline Detroit

Comment

Working...
                                X