70 Sport resto/mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 70 Sport resto/mod

It would be cutting up the floor, but have you thought about possibly building in an enclosure kind of like what Patrick did with his battery box. It would minimize the loss of interior space.
    Marc D.
    If you drive with rage, drive a cage.

Comment

Originally posted by earlybronco72 View Post
      It would be cutting up the floor, but have you thought about possibly building in an enclosure kind of like what Patrick did with his battery box. It would minimize the loss of interior space.
      I have been thinking about the Patrick style battery box to contain two batteries and I recently met an old school sheet metal fabricator who does amazing work on stuff like that. Maybe a sub enclosure along with it isn't too unreasonable a thought either.

Actually my first thought is to mount the sub under my passenger's seat by cutting a hole in the top of the "shelf" that I welded in before lining the interior - for reference: http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product...Bronco_Storage

I could easily box in the front of it with some ABS scraps and line the whole compartment with dynamat, then just bolt the seat back down on top of it and I'd have a hidden sub. This idea bears the most promise at this point, at least from a "no lost space" perspective.
      1970 Bronco
      My build thread

Comment

Originally posted by CityHick View Post
        from a "no lost space" perspective.
        And the girls will love it.
        Marc D.
        If you drive with rage, drive a cage.

Comment

Originally posted by earlybronco72 View Post
          And the girls will love it.
          Hah just saw this now. Reminds me of an old joke from the 1980s "boom box" mini trucks, but that's another story...

So most know that I busted my stock 10-spline Dana 20 rear output a week ago. Today I bought its replacement at WH and plan to install it this weekend to get my rig back on the road and trail.

Check the picture... I better not bust this thing!
          Attached Files
          1970 Bronco
          My build thread

Comment

Ah--------------Was wondering what you broke. Seems like you are about to fix it.
            Jack
            73 Bronco 302 C4 3 1/2 2" 5.14 9"/d44 d20 37"

Comment

One of the best mods I first did!
              68 Slightly modified
              67 LUBR once again
              61 Willy Wagon

Comment

Nothing major... but my "other" Bronco carnage is finally fixed now too. Those who were at Coyote Lake remember my catastrophic electric fan controller failure. I ordered its replacement the day I got home and it was on back order.

I got the Ron Francis dual speed fan controller and this thing looks pretty heavy duty. It has two 30 amp relays and two circuit breakers. You set the temp for low speed to come on, then the high speed comes on 10 degrees later.

It's pretty cool that my two speed fan is finally functioning as a two speed fan. I'm still messing with the set point a little but its pretty much dialed at this point. A little wiring cleanup and I'm back in business.
                Attached Files
                1970 Bronco
                My build thread

Comment

Pretty shnazzy setup Tony. What controller did you have before? I had a Derale temp probe controller and the cheapo wires pulled right outta the probe. Since switched to a painless temp probe/ controller with a LARGE reastadt knob and solid coil from probe to controller. Works pretty damn good for the low side. My high has been flawless with the PAC80 relay and manually switched from the cab.
                  sigpicRoad trips on an island get boring after the 1st lap...

Comment

I had the Derale controller that WH sells. Its only capable of one speed and is apparently very failure prone. When mine failed and my rig overheated, Delta took one look at it and said he'd had 2 or 3 of them fail, and I've since read other similar reports. That controller is supposedly a 30 amp controller and my fan is rated to draw no more than 24-25 amps.

This new setup looks to be a lot better sealed and is capable of driving a 60 amp setup (two 30 amp legs). All connections are really tight (the relays are a struggle to remove/install) which I also like. If this one fails I'm going back to my rig job of simple relays with no temp sensor... on with the key, off with the key!
                    1970 Bronco
                    My build thread

Comment

How about posting the Part# and Price Tony?
                      2002 F250 Superduty, 7.3 241,500 miles and counting
                      1979 Bronco, 351M,NP435,4:11's on 33's
                      2016 Race Red Shelby GT350

Comment

Originally posted by 904Bronco View Post
                        How about posting the Part# and Price Tony?
                        Here you go, Doug:
                        http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RFW-AR99/?rtype=10

So far so good... but time will be the ultimate test of this controller.
                        1970 Bronco
                        My build thread

Comment

A couple quick updates...
                          I swapped in 3 point belts to replace my 4-points. I liked how well the 4-points held me in place but didn't like being unable to reach my e-brake release and a few things on the dash when strapped in; also didn't like how I had to re-adjust them based on varying sizes of passengers. The 3-points will make life easier since they self-adjust like any normal car.

Also my D20 was popping out of gear a lot. A phone call then a visit with Jack O'Brien solved this - the detent spring on the rear shift rail was too short and not very stiff (that's what she said). I picked up his heavy duty detent springs for $11, swapped them in and voila, no more slipping out of gear!
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by CityHick; 12-03-2011, 04:54 PM.
                          1970 Bronco
                          My build thread

Comment

did you have any problems with the EZ wiring kit specifically or were the grimlens not related to the kit so much and more of the install?
                            Also, which vitage air heater did you get? It seems to fit perfectly.

I just bought a '68 in about the same shape yours was in when you got it. I just read the whole build thread and its extremely helpfull.
                            Idle hands equates to wild horses getting my money

Comment

Originally posted by California Monkey View Post
                              did you have any problems with the EZ wiring kit specifically or were the grimlens not related to the kit so much and more of the install?
                              Also, which vitage air heater did you get? It seems to fit perfectly.

I just bought a '68 in about the same shape yours was in when you got it. I just read the whole build thread and its extremely helpfull.
                              Sweet man... Glad to hear you got an EB (lets see pix) and glad to hear someone got something useful out of my thread!

EZ-Wire... no problems with the kit - any problems I had were self-induced (having never wired a vehicle before I made a couple dumb mistakes).

Vintage Air heater... I believe I got this model: http://www.vintageair.com/catalog11/pg51wc.pdf, p/n 50515-VUH.

Good luck on your build... lets see a thread!
                              1970 Bronco
                              My build thread

Comment

that model heater doesn't seem to have an option for desfrost which I beleieve the one you ended up getting had. I ordered my EZ wiring kit, gauges and electric windows from an ebay store last week so I hope to get started this week.

Here's a link to my build thread.
                                http://uc4x4.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4330

Also, as a reminder, i'm the one who ended up buying your first set of seats and your old small wheels off you bronco a couple of years ago.
                                Idle hands equates to wild horses getting my money

Comment

Working...
                                X