Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 70 Sport resto/mod

Originally posted by California Monkey View Post
    that model heater doesn't seem to have an option for desfrost which I beleieve the one you ended up getting had. I ordered my EZ wiring kit, gauges and electric windows from an ebay store last week so I hope to get started this week.

Here's a link to my build thread.
    http://uc4x4.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4330

Also, as a reminder, i'm the one who ended up buying your first set of seats and your old small wheels off you bronco a couple of years ago.
    I remember who you are. Another benefactor to my indecisiveness

I didn't notice that heater didn't have defroster provisions - looks like they may have discontinued the model I bought. 506101 is probably the closest now.
    1970 Bronco
    My build thread

Comment

Well I've been neglecting my Bronco since before Christmas and now that summer's here, I'm realizing that my procrastination has caught up to me.

Those who've wheeled with me know that I am constantly fighting my steering on the trail, way more than I should have to. A friend had similar issues and upgraded steering pumps (which solved his problem) so I figured I'd start there too. I ordered a AGR super pump yesterday from Summit and it showed up on my doorstep this morning. Their pump requires that you supply your own reservoir, whch is handy as the Saginaw p-series pumps are all the same but the reservoirs vary.

So as of now I have the new pump installed and I built my own high-pressure hose using Earl's power steering hose and hardware (which is REALLY nice btw). All -6an hardware rated to a 9000LB burst pressure. The new AGR pump puts out 1500PSI so I think I'm good there.

In typical "Tony" fashion I started letting this get out of control. I have never liked my PS cooler so today rather than reinstall my old junk I ordered one of these: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EA...6ERL/?rtype=10

I am re-thinking my 4x4x2 swap and will probably be putting my two boxes up for sale soon in favor of another option. I just can't see the 4x4x2 working in my EB due to bracketry and other interferences. For now the EB box stays.
      Attached Files
      1970 Bronco
      My build thread

Comment

That hose looks really nice! I can't tell you how many times I have stabbed myself with the braided stainless hose...

What are your interference issues with the 4x4x2 box?
        71 Bronco
        EFI, ZF, Atlas 4.3, 35" BFG's, Explorer serp, hydroboost, 4 wheel disks, Lars Bars, Protofab bumpers, Warn winch,
        Mastercraft seats.

Build thread

ZF swap

Comment

Originally posted by 6daze View Post
          That hose looks really nice! I can't tell you how many times I have stabbed myself with the braided stainless hose...

What are your interference issues with the 4x4x2 box?
          Thanks! I am pretty happy with the way the hoses go together, pretty easy.

The 4x4x2 interference issue is with the Econoline Van power steering/AC bracket. It is tight with the EB box which sits very close to the frame, its impossible with the 4x4x2 as it sits up higher. I reinforced my frame with a copy of the BC Bronco's reinforcement kit (a friend had one, I traced it and made my own). This kit: http://www.bcbroncos.com/store/produ...roducts_id=331.

As you can see it does nothing to drop the box down lower and I am not a fan of the WCB plate which spaces the box farther from the frame and hangs it lower. That setup will not work for me without doing more work than I want to.

I am going to run my EB box a while longer then investigate my options (likely expensive options). Ram assist is not off the table, however AGR seems to have a pretty good option for the EB that they don't advertise much.
          1970 Bronco
          My build thread

Comment

Originally posted by CityHick View Post
            Ram assist is not off the table, however AGR seems to have a pretty good option for the EB that they don't advertise much.
            Step up tp PSC I have ran AGR pump and Ram only lasted a year. Ran PSC for 3 years before going to Explorer and ended up giving that pump to a friend and he uses it on his full hydro set still I belive.
            Originally posted by TBS-POPS
            After a huge amount of reflection, I have determined that what I saw in ukiah was in fact Brians bronco. I was also informed by my wife that she infact heard it run!!

Comment

If your staying w/ the bronco box you might consider sending it to West Texas Offroad (Redneck Ram) for a rebuild they can change it to quicker ratio. You could also have the ports tapped for ram assist at the same time, you can always run them capped if your not ready for the ram. The bronco box is actually a pretty solid box, just hard to get.
              Where are you mounting the cooler?
              69, 342 EFI, C4, NP203, D20, 4.5" SL, 2" BL, 4.88 9" 35 spline ARB, 4.88 HP D44, WAH, ARB, CTM's, front disc , 37 x 14.50 Toyo MT, Ram Assist, and rear 4-link

Comment

Originally posted by highlander View Post
                If your staying w/ the bronco box you might consider sending it to West Texas Offroad (Redneck Ram) for a rebuild they can change it to quicker ratio. You could also have the ports tapped for ram assist at the same time, you can always run them capped if your not ready for the ram. The bronco box is actually a pretty solid box, just hard to get.
                Where are you mounting the cooler?
                I may eventually have the box rebuilt by one of the companies mentioned, might be next winter's down time project. Wouldn't mind porting for ram at that time too but have no immediate plans to add a ram.

The new cooler is getting mounted on the slanted part of the driver's side inner fender, I will update with high-res pictures once I make a little more progress. The part I need did not come today, it'll be here tomorrow though per the UPS tracker.

My old cooler was roughly in the same place, but this one is much nicer and is mounted vertically so both sides of the fins are exposed, vs. my old one that was spaced horizontally off the same place. Due to other factors I can't squeeze one in front of the radiator too easily so this is the next best thing, keeping the pressure and return lines fairly short. The other benefit to this change is it frees up the area behind the headlight for a second battery, something I will add likely in July.
                Last edited by CityHick; 06-28-2012, 05:23 PM.
                1970 Bronco
                My build thread

Comment

New steering pump is in, lines are run and finalized, all connections are leak free, system is bled and best of all it runs and steers at last. The new steering cooler is a nice piece and I love the earl's AN lines, so easy to make and route. Initial test runs around town are very promising; the new pump is quieter and if AGR's claims are right the extra pressure and volume will help me on the trail.

Parts list for those who are interested:
                  AGR Super Pump: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/AGR-807256
                  Earl's power steering cooler: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EAR-21006ERL
                  Earl's power steering hose ends: http://www.summitracing.com/search/B.../?autoview=SKU
                  Earl's power steering hose: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EAR-130606ERL

Lessons learned: The Saginaw pump pressure port is a 16mm x 1.5 thread pitch o-ring fitting.
                  The EB PS box pressure port is the port closest to the front of the vehicle.

Pictures attached, camera is dead so phone pictures will have to do for now.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by CityHick; 06-30-2012, 04:07 PM.
                  1970 Bronco
                  My build thread

Comment

Are the Earl's AN connectors reusable? If so sounds like a nice feature to have for trail repairs.
                    69, 342 EFI, C4, NP203, D20, 4.5" SL, 2" BL, 4.88 9" 35 spline ARB, 4.88 HP D44, WAH, ARB, CTM's, front disc , 37 x 14.50 Toyo MT, Ram Assist, and rear 4-link

Comment

Yes the connectors are reusable, that was part of my goal here. I am now also carrying my old pressure line as a spare.. nothing wrong with it, I just didn't like the routing.
                      1970 Bronco
                      My build thread

Comment

Nice work Tony looks really clean.
                        69, 7" lift,D-44 with air locker, 9" 35 spl full floater with a locker, 4-wheel disc, custom paint, one off custom mods, Hanson bumpers and side protection, 35's on Champion beadlocks.

Comment

For anybody who is curious... the new AGR pump made an amazing difference in my ability to steer aired down 37" tires in the rocks with the front locker engaged. In all honesty, the idea of adding ram assist is so far off my radar screen now its not even funny. I felt like my tires were pushing rocks around instead of being pushed around by the rocks this past weekend on Coyote Lake. The AGR Pump was worth the money and the time to install it, my rig now has amazing power steering off road!
                          1970 Bronco
                          My build thread

Comment

Better make sure that frame is well plated now ;-)

Thats how I rub...I mean roll!

Comment

Originally posted by PDXBronco View Post
                              Better make sure that frame is well plated now ;-)
                              Oh it is Josh... perhaps even overkill!
                              1970 Bronco
                              My build thread

Comment

Hey Tony,
                                Do you have the pt #'s for the fittings for the steering box? Just not sure what I need for the steering box. (73 Box)
                                Thanks Jack
                                73 Bronco 302 C4 3 1/2 2" 5.14 9"/d44 d20 37"

Comment

Working...
                                X