70 Sport resto/mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 70 Sport resto/mod

This is what mine was held in with...worked good and looks easy to make.
    Attached Files

Comment

Couple more thoughts...

Before you attempt to fire the engine, check the fuel system out.

Disconnect the fuel line where it goes to the fuel rail, or any place convenient after high pressure pump and filter. With the battery connected, short pin 6 on the self-test connector (I think; it's an end pin on the row of 4 pins, other end pin isn't connected to anything) to ground. That will close the fuel pump relay and cause the pump to run continuously. The standard Mustang 5.0 in-tank pump, and the garden variety frame mount Bosch pumps, will flow about 88 liters/per hour in free flow. Using a convenient container (that bottle of Sierra Nevada Ovila I recommended last night, for example) capture a known amount of fuel while timing how long it takes to fill said container. Do it a couple of times if you want a nice sample for statistical purposes.

That test will tell you (obviously) if the fuel pump is functioning correctly, and it should also purge any boogers out of the fuel system that snuck in downstream of the pump.

Once you've run that test, reconnect the fuel line, and disconnect the return line where it enters the tank. Run the pump again, while capturing fuel, again. This time less concern about measuring fuel. The idea is to flush the system. Since the engine isn't running, contaminants that may have snuck in downstream of where you disconnected the system in the previous test will flow past the injectors rather than being captured in them. Good to flow a gallon or so, just in case.

Not everyone agrees with me on this, but I like having a check engine light. I have one permanently installed in my dash, but even if you don't do that, you can wire one to the self-test connector while you are doing initial checkouts, to catch potential issues.

With everything connected, and you are ready to start the engine for the first time, turn the key to run. You should hear the fuel pump(s) run for about 2 seconds, then stop. If not, diagnose.
      1970, Exploder 5.0 with P heads, EEC-IV EDIS, lots of wiring.

Originally posted by CityHick
      I suddenly feel rich and feel the need to dump more cash into my Bronco.

Comment

Another thought: I need a VSS to keep my engine from dying at stops. Again, not universally needed. Only way to tell is to drive it, let the computer adapt, make sure engine is warmed up. If it doesn't seem to care, leave it off.

Comment

Well I didn't do very much today. I got a late start and my helper (dad) showed up a bit later than planned as well. My dad is a mechanical and electrical wizard in his own right, but he and I tend to slow eachother down a bit I think. That's not always a bad thing, but between running a couple of errands for parts and the two of us scratching our heads a few times about how things should be, I'm only a little farther ahead of where I was yesterday. But... it was a nice day and I hadn't gotten to spend a day with just my dad in a long time, so not a total loss.

I will say that the BC Broncos (resold by WH) throttle cable and associated bracket don't make immediate sense when hooking them up to the Explorer TB. I found a decent thread on classic that showed how it works though, and we got it going. Adjusting that cable is a little more trial and error than I was expecting to get it to fully open and fully close. That consumed more time than expected.

The good news is that we did figure out the supply and return lines (finally). I'll get there. Got more interesting plans this evening though involving adult beverages and tomorrow is another day. To be continued.
          1970 Bronco
          My build thread

Comment

2 heads is slower than 1 sometimes especially when there's more than one way to do something.
            I'm rounding the corner on my own efi swap project so it's nice to have an up-to-date build thread like yours. I'll have my gas tank modified and mounted soon and then I'm tackling the harness. luckily my engine was already an efi engine so I don't have as much to do.
            Keep up the good work.
            Idle hands equates to wild horses getting my money

Comment

It RUNS!!!!!! I am so far beyond stoked. No test drive yet... haven't finalized the computer mount and a few things are just kind of hanging loose, but this is my proof of concept anyway.

Need to pull codes and see where I'm at but the idle seems nice and smooth. The engine sounds a bit different when I stab the gas but it definitely responds, moreso than how I remember the carb anyway.

Anyway... a little proof:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gupvT...ature=youtu.be
              Last edited by CityHick; 01-26-2013, 04:45 PM.
              1970 Bronco
              My build thread

Comment

Good job Tony!!!
                72 sport/exp.,TBI 302,NP435,4.56 Powrlok/ARB in Full Width's.5.5" CAGE lift w/arms,2'' bl,37's, rescued from the concrete jungle (L.A.) NEVER DONE!!! Sold to buy a Boat, Now Broncoless.....Now it's fast water,smooth women and cold beer!! toad jeep owner now,,,,,, sorry

ALL MY DRINKING BUDDIES HAVE A SEVERE BRONCO PROBLEM !!!

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71
                BULLSHIT! I love your meat in my mouth
                RIP MARK BECK RIP MY FRIEND! RIP GIZMO,My little Buddy.

Comment

The ONLY issue I had on initial startup was with timing. Apparently when I stabbed the new TFI distributor, I stabbed it one tooth off. It was running but barely. Extremely far advanced, backfiring, etc. I rotated it one tooth into the correct position, set initial timing at 10* btdc as suggested in the wiring harness instruction manual, bumped the key and varoom! My Bronco has never started so easily in its entire existence (at least with me as the owner). I cannot wait to drive this thing tomorrow. Still grinning ear to ear!
                  1970 Bronco
                  My build thread

Comment

Sounds Good Tony! Good feel'ing huh?
                    2002 F250 Superduty, 7.3 241,500 miles and counting
                    1979 Bronco, 351M,NP435,4:11's on 33's
                    2016 Race Red Shelby GT350

Comment

Right on Tony!!! That is fantasic!! No tell all of the Ford EFI haters how easy it was and how nice it runs. Now you are going to kick yourself for not doing it years ago.

Comment

Thanks guys, today's been a very rewarding day.

Originally posted by crawlin68 View Post
                        ...Now tell all of the Ford EFI haters how easy it was and how nice it runs.
                        WAY easier than I'd expected. If I would have planned this out a little better and had all of the parts on hand, this would've been an easy weekend swap from carb to fully functioning EFI. I do not know what I was afraid of. I'm sure that I spent a bit more than I would have with the AFI throttle body kit, but this is a much more precise system. Having read a lot about how the EEC works and what it does, using all Ford parts started making the most sense.

As for the Summit harness; I highly recommend it. The "FRCM" (fuse/relay control module) might be the coolest feature. That is the name for the black box shown in earlier pictures, and it contains all fuses and relays needed to make the system work. Next to each fuse is an LED. When the associated relay triggers, the LED lights up. Tells you immediately which relays are open and which are closed. For example, the fuel pump relay is in there. When you turn the key from off to run, you see the fuel pump LED light up for two seconds while the pump is running and then you see it turn off in sync with hearing the relay click closed as instructed by the EEC. Excellent diagnostic tool. Should I ever find myself with problems in the middle of the night I can see that box being a great asset.

I am probably going to buy a simple code reader to keep in the glove box along with a printed/laminated chart of codes. I know that you can pull codes by shorting a couple of leads and counting the CEL flashes but for me a numeric readout is a lot better, especially when I'm tired/frustrated.

Anyway, I can't believe I'm finally the owner of a fuel injected rig. Long overdue upgrade and I'm sure it'll be worth every penny.
                        Last edited by CityHick; 01-26-2013, 07:01 PM.
                        1970 Bronco
                        My build thread

Comment

Wow. Way cool. Welcome to the club! Eventually you will take the system for granted, a good feeling. After all these years, mine just... starts and runs... always...

Congratulations, Tony!

Comment

Nice job tony! Congrats
                            '88 347 roller, Exploder EFI, WH Shorties, NP435, twin stick D-20 with Tera lows, 44 4:56's w/ARB chromos and CTMs, 9" Detroit, cust dash, wiring and STILL ALMOST "DONE"!...

Comment

Sweet Tony! Go down to the parts house & buy one of those $30 or so ebd1 code readers. Plugs right into the harness & gives you a digi readout of the codes. Even comes with a book telling you what the codes are. Well worth it & about the size of a 1990 TI scientific calculator. I've got one in the glovebox of my 95 thats been invaluable & will ride shotgun in the EB once the 5.8 goes in.
                              sigpicRoad trips on an island get boring after the 1st lap...

Comment

Couple updates. My first test drive this morning wasn't great. Got around the block and had to fight to keep the rig running. Found that I ran the damn thing out of gas (oops). Fortunately I dumped the 5 gallons from my jerry can in, primed the system and she fired right back up. I then was having problems accelerating much past idle under load. Pulled codes and found the MAF circuit was reading lower than expected voltage. Dumbass of the day award goes to me. The harness plug was laying on the fender underneath the MAF sensor. Oops. Plugged that back in, pulled codes again and aside from the expected EGR codes (delete plug hasn't yet arrived) the EEC is pretty clean.

With all of that cleared up I am sure that I annoyed the neighbors playing around up and down the block. The power increase is noticeable and if I stab the gas while making a u-turn, the tires break loose. That didn't happen quite so easily with the carb before!

I am very happy so far. This project hasn't been too difficult and the results this weekend have exceeded my expectations. I am sure there will be a few more bugs to work out but overall this may be my favorite Bronco addition yet.
                                1970 Bronco
                                My build thread

Comment

Working...
                                X