No announcement yet.

I don't do too much w/ the shiney ones.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't do too much w/ the shiney ones.

I had an interesting project last month. Most people contact me about extreme crawlers but this one was different.

A family had bought this bronco on ebay for $10k for their 18 year old son. Bascially because it was shiney. They got the lipstick on a pig deal of the century. This thing had no cage, stock axles, double floorpans, all cluster welded patches and weird stuff everywhere. The under carriage was all grey and orange paint. It was a 1990's show truck or something lol. wide mickey t tires and wheels. total comedy.

The first day the kid drove it, the unstrapped battery in the back fell over and arc'd out.... the shady wiring was barely working, the rear c/v blew up, the front axle was dry so it blew up when he drove home... the brakes were sketchy.... no power steering.... man I don't want to relive this anymore.

They wanted the axles fixed (yea right)... a cage, harnesses... power steering etc.

Sooo I go bid the job at night and figure ok... basic full width 44/9 swap, new rear d-shaft, wiring, cage etc.

the nightmare began the day after I picked it up. 3 months later I finish this thing after reworking the entire rig. I wanted $5k for the original bid... but I think it ended up costing me $5/ hr to work on it LOL.

I did all the work to it. every day something new failed on it. Finially got everything dialed in and the motor started running like crap. mind you it's a 300+ hrs 302 w/ all kinds of chrome on it. So I tilt forward the fiberglass clip one last time and the orig builder had fiberglassed the hood catch to the bottom coat of paint. imagine my surprize when the hood flipped inside out and broke off.

Anyways... if anyone tries to sell you this.. run the other way. I fixed everything but it's still jinxed
    84/55 renegade, ton's, body stretch.. 400hp atlas. burnouts and such.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rancho...a=4&ajaxpipe=1

SFS Industries (aka silly fab) for all your fabrication and parts needs

(916) 635 3485 SHOP

(916) 761 8680 CELL

The new shop is at 2225 cemo circle 95670

That sucks, thanks for the heads up. It' kind of a good looking rig in those pic's.
    Originally posted by 71BRONCO71 at Buck Island 6/25/11
    I can do that so much better myself..........1, 2, 3 GOODNIGHT!!!

Comment

oh it looks great. I washed and waxed it before I gave it back... I should have taken pics. the thing will run 90mph down the freeway smooth as glass... but that's about where it ends. no wheelin etc. it'll be up for sale for 15k soon. I guess it's worth it for a daily driver... but not for anyone that ever wants to make a wheeler out of it.

(916) 635 3485 SHOP

(916) 761 8680 CELL

Comment

but I think it ended up costing me $5/ hr to work on it LOL.
        Man thats got to hurt - I feel ya though nothing ever seems to just take an hour or two. Anyway nice work. How about a better pic of that cage you built
        hey where is you shop I would enjoy stopping by and check out your set-up, if you don't mind.
        Thanks, FM <><
        72EB, one-ton fab project that will never end

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
        1 Cor 16:13-14

Comment

YUP! my friend did that. he bought a 1970's chevy pickup and paid 8k unseen. it looked great when it was delivered but once we started to ride in it we discovered a WORLD of troubles.

but back to the point with what you had to work with it looks nice... but not the Chrome on the motor. i dislike chrome VERY MUCH!

nice build
          {o===o}
          Originally posted by TBS-POPS
          EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....
          Originally posted by CityHick
          I don't give probabilities in percentage format anymore

Comment

right on.

my shop is in sacramento near s and k steel. to map quest you'd enter the corner of 83rd st and 24th ave in 95826. from there you head into power ridge business park. after you get lost 33 times you'll arrive at building 700 and that's where I am follow the p&g gate E signs until you hit a 400' loading dock... my shop is at the end.

(916) 635 3485 SHOP

(916) 761 8680 CELL

Comment

What would a cage like that cost for a '73?

Comment

that one in particular has seat frames.. 6 points on the floor.. and nothing to the frame. I can get you into something like that for $1200 if the bronco comes in stripped w/ the exception of the driver seat. no carpet etc. if I have to gut it.... $$$$ that one is the normal 1.75" .120" wall hrew tube. I can do 1.5" DOM for a little more.

+$100/ pair of points to the frame.
                +$50 dash bar
                +$50 harness bar
                +$50 install seat belt tabs all over the place
                +$50 cut part of the glove box door off and weld to dash if it doesn't clear.

If your hard doors aren't on I can't be sure that the front uprights will clear the window regulators.

the prices include all labor and materials.
                I can usually get it in and out in a couple of days.

(916) 635 3485 SHOP

(916) 761 8680 CELL

Comment

Got any better pics of the seat frame?
                  I have been meaning to do that for a while.....

Also, uncut with a lift just looks goofy to me.
                  Mark Harris
                  71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

Originally posted by welndmn
                    Got any better pics of the seat frame?
                    I have been meaning to do that for a while.....

Also, uncut with a lift just looks goofy to me.

no better pics. there are two runners that follow the floor line on the driver's side running from b-pillar to the base of the a-pillar.

then there are 2 stringers of 1.5" running crosswise. one runs right at the front edge of the raised driver's floor to the passenger side and touches the backside of the trans tunnel but it pretty much lays on the floor because of the floor height. the rear stringer is just a straight shot across the floor driver to pass. then in this case there are 2 pieces of 2"x 1/4" flat running front to back on the stringers but at the front it mounts on top and at the back it mounts underneath tilting the seat back.

(916) 635 3485 SHOP

(916) 761 8680 CELL

Comment

I did take pics of it cleaned up and done. I didn't realize they were in my camera.

(916) 635 3485 SHOP

(916) 761 8680 CELL

Comment

Working...
                      X