No announcement yet.

Project Crawlin68

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got that from Highhonda?? I sure am keeping my eyes open for a 78-79 F350 cheap around here. Maybe even an early 80s F350 with a Front 60!

Comment

• Originally posted by 720Racer
      OK, I'm jealous.

Seriously, that's very cool. Why are all the kingpin D60's in New York? What are your plans? Cage brackets, 5.13's, ARB, highsteer, ram assist?

Looking forward to the build up.

Galen

They just all seem to be back east. Maybe because that is snow country and most of these old trucks where manufactuered in Detroit and just didn't go very far from the mid-west.

I am going to use the CAGE weld on brackets, ARB, high steer and ram assist, CTM's and 35 spline cromo shafts. I only want to build this once!

Comment

• Originally posted by crawlin68
        ......CTM's and 35 spline cromo shafts. I only want to build this once!.....
        Build it once, and not have to carry any spare parts!!
        Originally posted by 71BRONCO71 at Buck Island 6/25/11
        I can do that so much better myself..........1, 2, 3 GOODNIGHT!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by PhantomEB
          Got that from Highhonda?? I sure am keeping my eyes open for a 78-79 F350 cheap around here. Maybe even an early 80s F350 with a Front 60!

No, I got it from a dude on eBay. It was a deal gone bad and the other guy that won the auction didn't pay for it. Keep looking, you'll find one. I looked for several years for a good deal on one before I bought this one.

Comment

Exactly!!!

Comment

Did you ever find a front D60?

Comment

• Originally posted by crawlin68
                Did you ever find a front D60?
                No, That guy at work got fired for being full of sh*t, and he was about the D60 as well. I should have called on that one on pirate you sent me in Oct. I've been looking; Pirate, Craig's list, Ebay, etc. I haven't found anything, so I think I'll build this D44 for now, and keep looking for a 60.
                Originally posted by 71BRONCO71 at Buck Island 6/25/11
                I can do that so much better myself..........1, 2, 3 GOODNIGHT!!!

Comment

• Made a little more progress on the housing today. Me and a buddy tackled getting the upper king pins off. As you can see by the picture, they have seen better days. They had deep grooves and rusted real bad. There was no way I was going to rebuild this axle and leave these things on there. Now, these can be a real PITA because they have been rusting in place for 29 years and they are torqued to 600 ft. lbs. from the factory!

So we cut a piece of 2 inch 1/4 wall square tubing and welded it together in a 90 degree angle and plated the joint for added strength. Then we welded that directly onto the king pin. (this is an all or nothing operation) LOL! Then with the help of a 10 ft. pipe cheater bar and some heat, they broke loose so we could take them out.

Now it's time to start grinding on the welds that hold the inner C's on!
                  Attached Files

Comment

• DAMN I surprised that the vise didnt snap in half!

Nice work!

Comment

• Well, gosh. That reminds me of my knuckle rotation job. Large levers, lots of heat, plenty of colorful language. Glad that's over with. If I ever do another front axle for my Bronco, it'll be a 9-60 hybrid. With shiny new parts
                      1970, Exploder 5.0 with P heads, EEC-IV EDIS, lots of wiring.

Originally posted by CityHick
                      I suddenly feel rich and feel the need to dump more cash into my Bronco.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lars
                        Well, gosh. That reminds me of my knuckle rotation job. Large levers, lots of heat, plenty of colorful language. Glad that's over with. If I ever do another front axle for my Bronco, it'll be a 9-60 hybrid. With shiny new parts

That was my original thought too. Just do 60-9 axle, but the only reason that I didn't do it is because I would most definitely want a high pinion front axle. And the only way to accomplish that is go with a True Hi 9. (other than the Currie 8.8) The True Hi 9 folks are very proud of their product. Last time I looked a Hi 9 w/ARB and gears was about $3500! And that's just your center section, now you still have the rest of the axle to build. Way out of my price range.

Comment

• Oh, and believe it or not, there was no cussing today! It wasn't too bad at all.

Comment

• Yep, the pins do look like crap. Two questions, 1- after seeing the threads on the pin, what does this do to the threads in the c ? 2- Do the new pins get retorqued to 600 ft. lbs. again ( I imagine they do) ? Just curious as I will probably be doing this too down the road.
                            67 Bronco blue - LS 6.0, 6l90, & atlas (working on it)
                            69 Bronco red - F/I 302,c-4,36" TSL S/X( sitting next to a barn)
                            69 Bronco Yellow - TBI 350,th350, 203/205, Dana 60, 14 bolt, 4-link rear, 3 link front,full hydro, body narrowed 8", 39.9 Iroks on Walker Evans
                            79 CJ 5 360 v8 t18 33's locked & sprung over (sitting in a barn since 2000)
                            67 Camaro Lq4,built 200r4,Hotchkis suspension(work in progre$$)

Comment

• Yeah the one pin came out kind of hard and messed up the threads a little in the C. I'm going to run a tap through it and hope that they clean up okay. I think that they will be okay. The other pin came out nice and clean. The new pins get torqued to the same 600 ft. lbs.

Comment

• I love my UPS man!
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X