Project Stangeland 67

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project Stangeland 67

Well, I’ve been pocking my nose around your site now for over a month. I must admit you guys have something good going on here. I purchased a 67 EB two months ago. Some of you might recognize it’s crazy yellow base paint with purple and teal scallops. I can’t wait to paint it but first things first.

I’ve come to realize that a lot has changed in the world of bronco’s over the past 16 years. That was the last time I owned an EB, 35” tires were a big deal with 4:56 gears and long travel shocks. I have come to be big fans of Crawlin68, Rockbronco67 and Helbnd1. Great builds with obsessive attention to details!

I’m looking forward to being a part of a norcalbronco build. I would like all of your input on my build. Here’s what I’m after. I’m looking for the best of both worlds, drivability and rock crawlin. Please help me as I save and plan this build. Tell me what works and doesn’t. Here’s a list of things I’m thinking of…

• 4 link front and rear
    • 40’s on Hutchinson wheels
    • EFI (351w?)
    • Gun metal grey paint with black body armor
    • Line X under and inside
    • New dash with Auto Meter gauges
    • Mojave heater
    • Heated Master Craft seats
    • Build a new custom family cage
    • Build custom bumpers
    • 4x4x2 steering box with ram assist
    • NV 4500 trans
    • Stretching front and rear wheel wells
    • A host of little things

Here’s what it came with…

• 60’s front and rear, 4:88’s
    • 4 wheel ram assist discs
    • Dual 203/D20 T cases
    • 9500 warn
    • Rust free!
    Check out the picks. It was built killer in its day but desperately needs updating. The sad thing is my wife thinks it just needs paint, wheels and tires. I’m gona have to break the news to her sooner or later. Be patient however I’m in the process of a total house remodel. Thanks for the help and I look forward to all of your expertise!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Stangeland; 12-26-2009, 09:39 PM.

Re: Project Stangeland 67

Sounds like you've got a solid plan! Dual purpose has always been my goal too. Something that I can drive to and from the trails, but as extreme as possible. It's a very hard line to not cross in either direction. It's like having the angle sitting on one shoulder and the little devil sitting on the other and both are whispering ideas into your head and it's up to you to balance them.

What wheelbase are you going to shoot for? That is one area that I kick myself for now. I should have moved my front end forward when I did mine. Oh well, I like doing things 2,3 and 4 times and spending 5 times as much money as I could have. I own a Bronco!

Good luck with you build and please......keep us updated. Oh yeah, welcome to Norcal Broncos!!!!

Comment

Welcome to Norcal Bronco's also. Sounds like you have a good idea of the plans for your build. My wheelbase is currently 104", which is as far as I could go with 42" tires and not narrowing my grille or doing something with my tailgate. Good luck with everything.

Comment

Fantastic base to start from! Post up where you are and myself Marc and will stop by with some rattle cans to help you start
        Rick-
        68 Slightly modified
        67 LUBR once again
        61 Willy Wagon

Comment

Originally posted by crawlin68 View Post
          Sounds like you've got a solid plan! Dual purpose has always been my goal too. Something that I can drive to and from the trails, but as extreme as possible. It's a very hard line to not cross in either direction. It's like having the angle sitting on one shoulder and the little devil sitting on the other and both are whispering ideas into your head and it's up to you to balance them.

What wheelbase are you going to shoot for? That is one area that I kick myself for now. I should have moved my front end forward when I did mine. Oh well, I like doing things 2,3 and 4 times and spending 5 times as much money as I could have. I own a Bronco!

Good luck with you build and please......keep us updated. Oh yeah, welcome to Norcal Broncos!!!!
          I would love to have a WB between 105 - 110 but that is not going to happen. From what I've learned from you all 104 is more than likely going to be my max. Very important pre-plan stuff. My idea is to build the bronco around WB and suspension...
          Last edited by Stangeland; 08-26-2010, 07:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by helbnd1 View Post
            Welcome to Norcal Bronco's also. Sounds like you have a good idea of the plans for your build. My wheelbase is currently 104", which is as far as I could go with 42" tires and not narrowing my grille or doing something with my tailgate. Good luck with everything.
            Copy that! I love the look of narrowing but don't want to go quite that extreme. I want to keep Johny Law off my butt when driving to the trail.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncrick View Post
              Fantastic base to start from! Post up where you are and myself Marc and will stop by with some rattle cans to help you start
              Rick-
              East Sac (please don't read into that, my buddy Nick and I are thinking about forming the "East Sac Redneck Club") near the old cannery. Always welcome!
              Brent

Comment

What do you all think is the best world, coilovers or coils? I realise the can of worms this could open... It would be cool to rail off road.
                Last edited by Stangeland; 12-27-2009, 04:13 PM.

Comment

If your gonna stretch it all the way out and you've got the extra dough lying around. I'd say go with coilovers. I've been told its best to keep the rig balanced, like if your gonna run coils run them all the way around. But There are plenty of guys who just run coilovers in the rear. Be prepaired though, for a lot of R&D. There are plenty of guys with broncos and coilovers. But no one's rig weighs exactly the same at all 4 corners.
                  72' in pieces and piles of awesomeness

Comment

Welcome to the best Bronco site on the web! First thing is first... get rig of EVERYTHING purple on that rig! Keep us posted on the build and we're all picture whores!!!! GREAT starting point and sell it to your wife one part at a time... like Johnny Cash...
                    sigpicRoad trips on an island get boring after the 1st lap...

Comment

What do you all think is the best world, coilovers or coils? I realise the can of worms this could open... It would be cool to rail off road.
                      Welcome. It sounds like you have some good ideas. Coilovers or Coils? I have see coils perform really good offroad (highlander, 69crawler, blwngsket) but in my experience coilovers are better because they take less room, they are adjustable, huge amounts of travel, and they ride like a cadillac on and offroad. The down fall is they cost more. If you do get coilovers, I would buy fox or sway-a-way. If you PM me I will explain. Start tearing it down.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockbronco67 View Post
                        If you do get coilovers, I would buy fox or sway-a-way. If you PM me I will explain. Start tearing it down.
                        Ok, no hiding information here. Let's here it. Why would you buy Fox or Sway-A-Way versus your Kings if you were buying them again? Just curious.

Comment

Ok, no hiding information here. Let's here it. Why would you buy Fox or Sway-A-Way versus your Kings if you were buying them again? Just curious.
                          Don't get me wrong I love my King shocks, they perform really good and some will say that King is the best. But these are my opinions:

1. There is alot more vendors for Fox and sway-a-way.

2. Fox and Sway-A-way are cheaper.

3. If you need to go triple rate on a King coilover, you have to completely take them apart. They said you have to remove the remote reservior and hose, take the bottom retainer out, drain oil, and slide the shaft out. Take the shock body and heat the cap to unscrew. Then once the cap is removed, slide your triple rate slider and spring on. The problem is you can't slide the hardware over the cap.

Fox and Sway-a-way, all you have to do is remove the the reservoir and hose. Then slide the triple rate hardware over the cap. Put the reservoir back on and recharge the nitrogen. (From what I read).

All this doesn't matter I guess if you don't need to go triple rate. Or if you know exactly what you want when ordering. Being a newbie to coilovers this wasn't the case.

4. Most of the time when you buy King shocks they come with King springs. King doesn't make that many different spring rates and lengths like Eibach or other brands.

Just my .02
                          Last edited by Rockbronco67; 12-28-2009, 08:44 AM.

Comment

when you spray your tub go with rhino linings ...line-x is a hard and has no flex to the the final product. rhino has more or a rubber based final product which will allow the tub to bend and twist and not have the liner pull from the metal. I use to work for a shop that sprayed rhino and a buddy did line-x even he said he like rhino better. just my .02

nice rig you got there
                            75 sport 302 c4 full width 44 front 9 rear let the building begin

Comment

Originally posted by TRAILBOUND View Post
                              If your gonna stretch it all the way out and you've got the extra dough lying around. I'd say go with coilovers. I've been told its best to keep the rig balanced, like if your gonna run coils run them all the way around. But There are plenty of guys who just run coilovers in the rear. Be prepaired though, for a lot of R&D. There are plenty of guys with broncos and coilovers. But no one's rig weighs exactly the same at all 4 corners.
                              Copy all that thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X