Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Project Bronco

Updated and added a few pictures.

Well I have been reading your posts and looking at your projects for a couple of years now. This is my 4th Bronco, I have owned it for about a year and half now. It started off with 351w, auto, ps, 4.5" lift, 35" BFG's and faded paint. The floor pans up front both need to be replaced but that seams to be it. I added early front grill, new wiring harness, fiberglass hood, camo paint, cage and softtop and wheeled it last year. Last year when on the Rubicon I do not think I ever lifted the tires as much as this bronco did. I found the guy I bought it from installed wild hourse front springs but all the shocks where for about a stock lift, I disconected them and could extend them only 1" past the mounts, and one of the rear spring bolts was in backwards. So I am doing a frame of build, have the time right now, and wanted to get some of your oppinions:

1) I have talked with Tito and was thinking about making it a 4 door, could keep the wheel base to 117", rear door would be around 27" and would reduce rear overhange.

2) I could just stretch the wheel base much easier but not much room for family wheeling, but could just pull a trailer.

3) Was thinking of changing out rear suspension to 4 link. Any of you regret changing yours over. Bronco will see street and trail driving.

4) Axles may be Mog or Mog9's (brother inlaw owns a job shop, so custom machining isn't to expensive). Last 2 trucks have had portal axles and have gotten a little attached to them. Thought about full width's but by the time you finish building them about the same price. Tires will be around 39".

I am adding a ZF, changing the cam (lost 2-3 teath on the cam/ distributor drive), new exaust, different cage, etc... . I have been taking pictures and will post them when I get them organized. Currently I have all the stock shock mounts removed and have filled some of the holes that have been added over time. I would like any imput you are willing to give.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by camomog; 10-25-2010, 03:25 PM.

Re: New Project Bronco

Looking forward to seeing this come together, probably a year or so off on my build, have 3 other projects to finish first.

Where are you looking to do the stretch? Are you going to modify the rear section (from striker post back) or just stretch where the door is and add another striker/post in there (thats what I plan to do). If you cut the door down at the vent window it takes it from 39 to 26".

I'd like to put the rear door into the quarter panel (curved up) but from my thoughts it looks to be a lot more work and will require more mods to a top (you going to run a top?

Thats how I rub...I mean roll!

Comment

I .mounts that would give me 22-23"(only need 20") of flat frame to add to existing frame right before it starts to come up. I will also slide the rear axle back 5". That plus the added frame would add 25" to wheelbase.

The body I would cut down rear section thru the center of the rear wheels and remove 7"(with moving the rear axle back would need to modify rear wheel wells anyway). I would then cut the tub thru the center of the doors and add both new strike and hinge panels in this area. It would keep the existing door opening the same and give me 27" for a rear door. As you said removing the wing window would cut the door to 26-27". I would then tie the new center post to the loop of the new cage.

This mod is similar to your photoshop picture but would not have to modify the door and jamb for the wheel well.

Comment

My vote would be to do a stretch on the 2 door Bronco with Mog/9's!

Look forward to seeing this come together whichever you decide to go.

Comment

You can do a stretch on a 2 door and just extend the door opening and fiberglass inserts or door to give it a deceiving look. Mike Bautista is working on one like this.

Here is another chop I did that kept the rear striker position, sounds like you would basically keep the front of the rear flare as is but slide the rest of the quarter panel in and extend the flare into the tail light panel? Should work, would basically be like adding another 8" to the inside of mine.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by PDXBronco; 07-21-2010, 12:23 PM.

Thats how I rub...I mean roll!

Comment

Well the stock axles are sold and the 35's whent today so it is off we go. I will need add pictures soon. It is now down to the bare frame, so this is what I will be doing. Have a low milage 351w and will install the ZF behind it, just picked up a 205 as well. I bought a set of 404 mog axles, that I should get in 2-3 weeks. I was going to try and do mog 9's but will try just the mog axles for now, I have 2 of the Ox locker shifters and cables to activate the lockers in the axles. I decided to stretch the wheel base to 97-100" and not stretch the body or frame. Plan is to run 39 - 42" tires, that will put me around 2800 rpm at 65.

Comment

I think you are going to need a longer wheelbase running the stock mog axles. The mog pinions are HUGE! You will have clearance issues with the front pinion and oil pan for sure. I can't wait to see the build! Bring on the torch and welder!

Comment

contact KSbroncomog on pirate4x4. He has one although I dont think he built it. Here is a link to some pics of it..

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...ht=ksbroncomog

69 bronco, 72 bronco, 66 vert stang

Comment

That was built by a guy named Brian in Colorado Springs, CO. That is a badass Bronco for sure. He ran the 404's in their stock form, but had to run allot of lift, very little up travel (in the front) and a long wheelbase to make it work.

Comment

I haven't stripped mine down yet but going to shoot for cutting the frame and tub behind the front seats where the frame bends back up. If that won't work then I'll cut under the front seats and extend the lowest part of the frame but wanted to avoid that for better ground clearance. I'm going to try and run two sets of doors inserts with the 2nd set (rear) modified for about a 20" opening as I'm planning a 20" stretch w/ the frame and tub to accomodate the xtra seats and yielding a 112" wheelbase. Going to run topless until I get it back to Norcal where I hope to have a custom soft top made eventually. Stock buckets up front, 2nd row stock buckets to allow for a "walk through" access to the stock bench in the far back which will be easily removable in the advent that there's only 4 passengers. This will allow for seating for 4 w/ the full bed for gear or 6 passengers comfortably.

You'll probably get to yours much sooner but you can keep track of what I'm planning/ doing in the "Island Fever" build thread.

Good luck and sounds bada$$!

Fungus
                    sigpicRoad trips on an island get boring after the 1st lap...

Comment

I haven't ruled out stretching it more, but right now I am cleaning the frame, welding up all the extra holes that have been added over the last 40 years. When I get the axles into the garage we will play with wheelbases and look at the frame, then decide on final wheelbase and if I need to stretch the frame and body.

Good luch with your project. Looks like you, Josh and I all on similar paths to empty bank accounts.

Comment

Well picked up the axles and set them at 100" for wheelbase. Front dif just tuches front crossmember and rear just hits rear frame crossmember. Right now it should give me 4-5" of up travel with the bottom of the frame around 26" from ground.

Also due to most post being worthless without pictures here are a few.
                        Attached Files

Comment

404's.....nice! Where did you find them?

Comment

Found a guy in Lake Elsinor that had them for $1600 and he got them brought up to Grass Valley for me.

Comment

That is a good price for those axles. So are you going to run them as is? Or do the pinion conversion, disc brakes or build mog/9's?

Comment

Working...
                              X