73 Bronco Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 73 Bronco Project

So, I figured I would actually start a build thread, since Ive never actually kept up with these on my projects, just reading others.

I traded my Cummins powered 2000 F-250 on 38's, etc, etc... for this beautiful 73 Bronco... always wanted one.

According to the PO:

414W Stroker
    -Forged Eagle Rotating Assy
    -Keith Black Forged Pistons
    -H Beam Rods
    -Milodon Pan
    -AFR 205 58cc Heads
    -9.5:1 (seems low to me with flattops and 58cc heads, but w/e)

Built C6
    -3500 stall converter (ack)
    -6 Roller Planetaries
    -Auto Valvebody
    -POS B&M Ratchet Shifter (that I promptly threw out of the rig when I got home)
    -Art Carr Shifter

NP205
    -Apparently a short 5" adapter from a 203 (just so the cable on the Art Carr shifter wouldnt work correctly, so I need to make a new bracket)
    -plan to twin stick it, or put my other rebuilt 205 in that is already twin sticked and ready to go

D44 Front
    -Discs
    -Yukon Axles
    -Warn Hubs (silver tho, not gold... prolly change out)
    -Trak-Lok L/S
    -F150 Steering with Heims

9" Rear
    -31 spline Yukons
    -Detroit Locker
    -4.88's

5.5" Lift (yellow coils?)
    1" Body lift

37" Boggers on 15" Aluminum Beadlocks

Plans:

Im using it as a daily driver for a 15 mile commute and also want to be a capable crawler.

Eventually, 4 link rear, 3 link front, and coilovers. EFI the engine, change the stall in the converter, get more tcase gearing, build a better cage, line-x the tub, build a dash with the autometers that I have, 12voltguy switch panel, suspension seats, etc...

Im just really happy to finally have a bronco. Ive spent countless hours on pirate4x4 reading about builds and tech, so I am always modifying stuff and hoping the bronco will make it even better!

More Photos at Link:
    http://s264.photobucket.com/albums/i...x/73%20Bronco/

and yes... the golfcart stickers came off as soon as I got home with it...
    Last edited by Jason Lister; 08-14-2010, 10:53 AM.
    Jason Lister

73 Bronco
    Forged 414W- AFR 205 heads, Fenderwell Headers, 3" Magnaflows
    C6- 3500 stall, NP205, 38" Toyo MT's on 18's for street...

Re: 73 Bronco Project

Welcome Jason, Congrats on your purchase, we look forward to watching your build.

Doug
    2002 F250 Superduty, 7.3 241,500 miles and counting
    1979 Bronco, 351M,NP435,4:11's on 33's
    2016 Race Red Shelby GT350

Comment

Looks nice. Keep us posted.
      Marc D.
      If you drive with rage, drive a cage.

Comment

Nice Bronco. It doesn't even look like that much of a "project", but it'll be interesting seeing what you do with it. Looks like a great starting point.
        1970 Bronco
        My build thread

Comment

Welcome! I'd say the 414 stroker is prob a nice entry level/ beginner motor... Lookin' sharp!
          sigpicRoad trips on an island get boring after the 1st lap...

Comment

thats a pretty sweet looking ride. That miladon oil pan looks monstrous.
            72' in pieces and piles of awesomeness

Comment

Originally posted by 904Bronco View Post
              Welcome Jason, Congrats on your purchase, we look forward to watching your build.

Doug
              Thanks Doug!

Originally posted by earlybronco72 View Post
              Looks nice. Keep us posted.
              Will try...

Originally posted by CityHick View Post
              Nice Bronco. It doesn't even look like that much of a "project", but it'll be interesting seeing what you do with it. Looks like a great starting point.
              I can make anything a project... It's just my nature.

Originally posted by Fungus232 View Post
              Welcome! I'd say the 414 stroker is prob a nice entry level/ beginner motor... Lookin' sharp!
              Yeah, it should be a great starting point. Probably a little too much power, but oh well...

Originally posted by TRAILBOUND View Post
              thats a pretty sweet looking ride. That miladon oil pan looks monstrous.
              Agreed... I hope it doesnt interfere with my 3 link's uptravel... but I know it will ><.

So, new updates:

First thing I did to the Bronco... besides taking the golfcart stickers off, was install an Art Carr shifter I had; to replace the B&M Ratchet Shifter POS.

Unfortunately, I ran into a snag... as usual, the bracket for the cable places it right into the front output yoke.

I called Art Carr about it, theyve never heard of it, they told me to call JBG. I called them and they said it's uncommon. Apparently, I have a 203 adapter on my c6 that is only 5" versus the 8.75" piece. Their suggestion was to replace the adapter and consequently, the output shaft... UGH.

I think I can make a bracket that just sticks up a few inches higher and that may solve the problem all together. I still need to remedy that, but for now I am driving "show truck style" (no front driveshaft)

Also, the shift lever would not allow the compression bolt to fit, so I think I will just install a carriage bolt instead... or cut off the kickdown lever that is blocking it. For now, it's working off of the 2 keyways.

Last night, I got the driver's side exhaust fixed...

The PO's setup:

I am not a fan of flange gaskets, two 90* bends, crap mufflers, restrictive exhaust size, and kinky bends....
              Last edited by Jason Lister; 08-19-2010, 07:04 AM.
              Jason Lister

73 Bronco

Comment

I got a 24" Magnaflow SS Muffler with 3" offset/center inlet/outlets, a 3" ball and socket connection, and some 3" Mandrel u-bends that I had sitting around. The system still needs to be coated and the welds polished up, but that can be done later. I was going deaf with the damn PO's setup.

I took a couple overall engine pics while I was at it as well...

Last edited by Jason Lister; 08-15-2010, 11:36 AM.
                Jason Lister

73 Bronco

Comment

nice Bronco!! Just a word of warning, my exhaust used to exit in the same spot and I got fumes in the cab with the top on,even a little with the top off. The tire seems to catch it and throw it around under the body and it will find the inside of the cab. Stake pockets and gap at bottom of tailgate seem to be the biggest culprets for fume entry.
                  72 sport/exp.,TBI 302,NP435,4.56 Powrlok/ARB in Full Width's.5.5" CAGE lift w/arms,2'' bl,37's, rescued from the concrete jungle (L.A.) NEVER DONE!!! Sold to buy a Boat, Now Broncoless.....Now it's fast water,smooth women and cold beer!! toad jeep owner now,,,,,, sorry

ALL MY DRINKING BUDDIES HAVE A SEVERE BRONCO PROBLEM !!!

Originally posted by 71BRONCO71
                  BULLSHIT! I love your meat in my mouth
                  RIP MARK BECK RIP MY FRIEND! RIP GIZMO,My little Buddy.

Comment

Originally posted by TBS-POPS View Post
                    nice Bronco!! Just a word of warning, my exhaust used to exit in the same spot and I got fumes in the cab with the top on,even a little with the top off. The tire seems to catch it and throw it around under the body and it will find the inside of the cab. Stake pockets and gap at bottom of tailgate seem to be the biggest culprets for fume entry.
                    thanks for the heads up... thankfully Ive got plenty of other "venting" holes in my tub and gaskets, so I dont really smell the fumes yet!
                    Jason Lister

73 Bronco

Comment

Don't get rid of that adapter. 3 inches there adds 3 inches to the rear drive shaft. Longer the drive shaft the better.

Comment

ya, sorry I guess I didnt mention that I wanted to keep it for driveline angles, but I was thinking it!

...still need to find out if the 3 spd stak will bolt right to it tho?... Ill call when I get funds rounded up ><
                        Last edited by Jason Lister; 08-15-2010, 10:18 PM.
                        Jason Lister

73 Bronco

Comment

Because of that short adapter you might be able to pull off a 4.0 Klune. The guys from high impact originally ran the Klune in a stock wheelbase bronco.

Comment

I think Im limited to the 2.7:1 Goliath Klune, vs the 4.0:1 David because of the input torque from the 414W? but yes, that is one option Im checking into, as well as the black box from NWF.

It's just all that shiny aluminum of the stak is
                            Jason Lister

73 Bronco

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Lister View Post

Built C6
                              -3500 stall converter (ack)
                              SLINGSHOT!

Looks nice!
                              I'd keep that short adapter, and look at shortening that cable. I don't think a C6 is using all that travel so you might be able to get a shofter cable, or put a bend it in.
                              Mark Harris
                              71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

Working...
                              X